Earphones

JayGee

Reaction score
I've got an Autocom but can't get the headphones in a comfortable position in my new lid so wondered whether anyone has experience of using the in-ear phones that people like Ultimate and HSL can provide. If so, how much of a nuisance are the wires from your ears and how robust and easy to use are they?

Speaking as a Green Leopard agent (so not impartial) the custom molded earplugs with built in speakers (we call them Monitors) are very good.

Take care when choosing who you buy them from and look at the thickness of cable you are getting for your money.

The weak point on these is where the cable meets the plug as it can rub against your helmet and cause damage to the cable as it is bent. Green Leopard have just brought out a new type of monitor which has an air tube system so it's plastic tubing rather than an electrical cable which is in the vulnerable area.

I hope that helps

my Green Leopard jobies £200 notes lasted about 2 month, sent them back ten days ago not heard a thing since he he

I don't know about the Ultimate or HSL phones mentioned but I've been using a pair of Shure E2c ear plug / phones. They're pretty good, blocking out noise almost as well as normal plugs and giving good quality sound up to and over 100mph. They're not bad for comfort, either, as they can be worn all day.

I use a pair of Sony Fontopia in-ear speakers which have quite thin wire and haven't been a problem, for the last 5 years....all for £30-ish depending on where you get them from....;)

Simply cut the speakers off the Autocom headset and soldered a 3.5mm stereo socket in their place...result!

They come with three different size "Cups" so you should find one to fit and cut quite a bit of noise to boot....:p

CC

:cool:

Tried Green Leopard but they didn't fit and the wires came straight out instead of at an angle. They re-did them twice but they didn't cut much sound and were too big (sticky-out) resulting in resonance coming through from the helmet as they touched the sides. Also, the wires are very strong, but much too thick and inflexible. Strong though but not for under-helmet use IMHO. Gave up on them.

Tried Ultimate Ear. Their first effort had the wires exiting onto the inside of my ear which was very painful. Sent them back. They re-routed the wires which was much better and no longer painful. But the right one kept "popping out" resulting in noise leakage into my ear. Sent them back. They were re-made and now much better, though the right one pops out occasionally - seems to be a secret to putting them in properly.

Excellent service from both companies, but UE are much more tuned into the needs of bikers.

Also - bought a set of extra-loud speakers from Autocom which I have as a backup - they are louder than the normal ones so at least stuff is audible through v.attenuating foam earplugs.

All a bit of a palaver really.

Try Headset Services. The company was suggested by Autocom to me last year. The speakers are made by Duocomm

http://www.hearingprotection.co.uk/products.php?c=motorsport

They are excellent - both my wife and I use them and the cost is
around £186 including the lead to modify the helmet (to do away with the helmet speakers). The jack plug and socket is is big enough to connect using gloved hands.

Hot Spoon

Jaygee, A heated spoon under the lining will do the job easily, I mean hot as in over the gas burner, hot enough to melt the styrofoam, make a depression to sit the speaker in.

The placement of the speakers is critical and they need to be horizontal, all helmets except the system 4 have the pockets in the wrong place, don't go down the in ear speakers in plugs route just yet the cables are guaranteed to break, the new GL tubed type should solve the issue.

Re: Hot Spoon

Jimb said:
Jaygee, A heated spoon under the lining will do the job easily, I mean hot as in over the gas burner, hot enough to melt the styrofoam, make a depression to sit the speaker in.

The placement of the speakers is critical and they need to be horizontal, all helmets except the system 4 have the pockets in the wrong place, don't go down the in ear speakers in plugs route just yet the cables are guaranteed to break, the new GL tubed type should solve the issue.
Thanks for the advice. I've moded the helmets with a sharp knife before (the hot spoon is a new one to me) but I've got a shuberth S1 and the cheeck pads won't come out of the helmet and my wife wants a Shoei Raid2 which is also difficult/impossible to modify so that's why I'm thinking of monitors. Not sure what GL tubed ones are for, surely wires are needed for an Autocom.

Jaygee, The new GL ones will have the transducers ( speakers ) outside the earplug and the sound is transferred via a 3mm tube just like a hearing aid but longer, the idea is the tube will go over the ear and behind it then connect to the transducer with about 200 mm of clear tube.

This will solve the delicate cables problem and the tubes will be easily replaced if damaged, from the manufacturers point of view it means the product can be made in the same time scale as an Insta Mould filtered plug, about 4 days, and does not need to go to a lab so no third party involvement.

The cost will be the same as the current ones.

They are not available yet though, but watch this space one of the GL providers will post a pic. I can't do it as I'm not a sponser.

I've used Ultimate monitors (in ear jobbies) for about a year now and find them excellent. beautiful clear sound from the mp3 player and very clear comms during the Baltic tour recently.

If you are near their offices you can make an appointment and go there for moulds to be made. otherwise they do most of the big bike shows I understand.

For the first month or so I found them uncomfortable but since have hardly noticed them there. On the tour i was wearing them sometimes for 10 - 11 hour days.

The wires need getting used to but once you get into a routine of putting / in plugging in they are fine.

Back
Top Bottom