Essex Border Patrol

BladeBaiter

Hi All,

This is an idea that I have for a ride-out one day: With the exception of the roads on the southern border (the A13 and the M25), which are pretty uninspiring, the roads that run around the borders of Essex are fantastic. Say from Epping through Bishop's Stortford to Saffron Waldon on the West Border; from there, Steeple Bumpstead, Clare, Long Melford and Sudbury (I know that their strictly in Suffolk) and down the excellent road through Bures; across to Manningtree (maybe through Colchester - maybe Colchester's a good place to start the run); From Manningtree along the coast road towards Harwich to Ramsey Junction; across the 120 onto the B1414 through Greay Oakley, Thorpe-le-Soken, Kirby Cross, Holland-on-Sea, Clacton-on-Sea, St Osyth, Thorrington; back to Colchester and down the Mersea road to the Peldon Rose; across through Great Wigbrough, Goldhanger, Maldon, Latchingdon, Bradwell-on-Sea, Down to Burnham-on-Crouch; via the bends to South Woodham Ferrers and Battlesbridge, over the river and back along it, through Hullbridge to Canewdon; down into Rochford and Southend-on-Sea. From there, as said before, it's the A13, which isn't really part of an enjoyable day's riding. So that's the roads that I have in mind: The west and north borders of Essex and the coastline via the penninsulars between the many esturies that we have here.

So, does anyone have any ideas on how to polish up this concept? Would it make a good group run? Is anybody else interested in coming? Where would be a good place to start the run? Has anyone any Ideas on a southern route between Southend and Epping, to make it a proper circuit? If it was a whole circuit then the starting point could be anywhere on the curcuit. Can anyone work out the mileage? Any other things to think about?

I rode part of this route yesterday; from Manningtree to Burnham-on-Crouch, and I know the other roads and they are just as rewarding; it would be great to join them all together for a whole day's riding.

Who's up for it!?

Keith Dunn

Sounds like an excellent idea. I'm sure we could find an interesting route through rayliegh, Horndon, Warley & North Wield back to Epping. have you worked out the total mileage?

Thanks Speggo,

I haven't worked out the mileage yet but it's definately more than one tank of fuel and a few tea-breaks.

We are also discussing it at http://www.bmwmcc.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3891
Where the idea is developing.

Looks like, if there is an organized run, it will be on a Saturday, it will start in Epping and Finish in Southend and it include 4 or 5 programmed stops for fuel, refreshments/fag break, catch-ups and late starters.

What do you think?

Sounds like a plan to me.
I think the BMW club might have done something similar in the dim and distant past.
I work most Sturdays but I'll try and make it when you set a date

Richard

This discussion is also taking place on a couple of other boards, on other websites. Hopefully, between us all we can come up with a plan, which makes for a good days ride for all of us. Rather than direct you all to one site, say the BMW Club site, where you will have to register to view, I think it would be easier to leave it how it is, with ideas for the run developing on your own sites and then when we have a final plan I'll paste it onto all the different boards. Does that sound Ok?

Keith

P.S. Maybe for ease of use, if all discussions on this run, within the UKGSers forum, take place on the "Roads to get your pegs down" board. Please. :D

Thanks Richard; a date has not been set yet, but here's the plan as far as it has developed:

The run will be held on a Saturday; it will start out from somewhere in Epping, early in the morning (any ideas where in Epping, anyone?) There will be planned stops (2 or 3) along the route for food, drink and fuel, and to regroup; The run will finish in Southend, either on the Esplenade or at a pub of somebody's suggestion, (any recommendations?)

It's getting there. :D

Hi All,

The provisional date for this run has been narrowed down to, either the 23rd or 30th July. Now is the time to choose: If anyone in this community definately wants to come on this run and can make one but not the other of these two dates, please post your prefered date and that will be the date of the run :)

Thankyou

:beerjug:

Keith

Thankyou Spanfly:

30th July is the date.

Further details will follow. Please mark your diaries now and join us on the day for a great ride :D

Keith

Thanks Tricky,

I rode the section between Epping and Manningtree yesterday: 95 miles! and some fantastic roads. The plan is coming together: So far, Meet on the green at the eastern end of Epping high street; Set off at a time to be decided, on the B181 towards Epping green; follow the route already breifly detailed, stopping for coffee at Cavendish, lunch at Manningtree, more coffee at Burnham-on-Crouch and finally, Fish & Chips in one of the fish restaurants under the arches on Westcliff seafront.

Was it Lamble, who recommended the Cafe in Manningtree? I looked for it yesterday (not very well) but I couldn't see it. Could you give us more details, how to find it please.

:beerjug: Cheers

Keith

Hi all,

If anyone from this community would like to join in the ride-out outlined in this thread and would like to view the draft document, which I've produced, detailing the route, protocols, costs, etc. please e-mail me at

BladeBaiter@aol.com

Putting "Essex Border Patrol" in the title of the e-mail (so I dont delete it) and I will attach the Word doc. with a return e-mail.

The actual route is settled but I need some help, and you may need to give your input, on the protocols and ettequette, etc.

Cheers

Keith

Stop this Snowball!!

I'm sorry but this event is in danger of being cancelled!

Since the "for charity" tag has been added, numbers of people wanting to come on the ride has Snowballed. This has been compounded by some inappropriate promoting on a regional scale.

I do blame myself for being so lax, letting the event "evolve" and organising it with the spirit of inclusivety (All riders are welcome).

I would be happy to do the ride, if the numbers of people coming were as they were this time last week (about 20 - 40 max.) but if this snowball keep gathering more riders, I dread to think how many are going to be on Epping Green on the morning of the 30th.

If I get to the Green and the place looks like the gathering of the clans then I will have to make some on the spot decisions regarding my options:

1) Wave, ride past and go home.

2) Start the run, ride like a demon and lose them all That's not really fair, is it?

3) Change the route to a lap of the M25 (then do option 2, off at the next junction )

4) Ask for everyone's attention, tell them the run is cancelled, wake up in a hospital bed.

5) Ask for everyone's attention, say that, rather than run a Charity Parade for 200 miles at Carnival Procession speeds, it would be better to split into small groups, each group with a leader, and set off on seperate rides in different directions.

I like this last one. How about you?

There are plenty of good roads to be ridden in that corner of the county: Epping Forest, Ongar, Stamford Rivers, High Beach.

By the way, it's up to you but, I'd like you GSers to ride with me, as per plan "A".

Actually doing the ride-out, in its original form, with over 100 riders is not an option! The lanes are too narrow and dangerous and none of the catering establishments or petrol stations could cope. Besides that, the police would not allow it.

You may think that 100 is a lot to expect (and I really hope that you're right) but one enthusiastic promoter estimated a thousand, and he was serious (seriously mad as a box of frogs, I'd say)

One good thing that has been arranged by Steve Fearn is that the Essex Air Ambulance Run, Sunday 4th September, has agreed to cater for as many thousands of bikers that Steve can invite, and that they will also donate some of their monies raised to the London Bomb Charity (The Lord Mayor's Fund)

If anyone knows of any other "clubs" who have been invited, please tell them what the situation is: That is, if they turn up they will be parted with their hard earned cash, in the name of charity, and then they will be sent off to have a ride-out of their own.

It's still on for now then; see you on the 30th

Keith

Back
Top Bottom