PDA

View Full Version : GPS V - download Speed

Gecko
17-01-03, 21:37
I read a couple of postings dating from early last year about the slow download/upload speed on the Garmin GPS V . I have one of these great little machines and to be honest it's inconvenient because the speed to load maps and routes is slow but until now I didn't know there were quicker solutions available. :rolleyes: Maybe I should have stayed out of this forum.

Anyway does anyone know if there are and technological breakthroughs since early last year to improve on this . I hear of flash cards -USB and loading in seconds - is there something out there in the market to enhance the GPS V ?

(RIP) Gerry Huxtable
17-01-03, 23:55
make sure you are using the latest software downloadable from Gamin website.
They are always trying to improve all aspects of their software.

Version 2.11 Beta posted today or 2.08 if you dont want to load Beta.

regards

Gerry H

Gecko
18-01-03, 16:12
Originally posted by Gerry Huxtable
make sure you are using the latest software downloadable from Gamin website.
They are always trying to improve all aspects of their software.

Version 2.11 Beta posted today or 2.08 if you dont want to load Beta.

regards

Gerry H

Hi Gerry
I will check which version I have - I think I am possibly on 2.05 still . I have to confess I haven't downloaded anything few a few months. I will try your suggestion .
Much obliged
Ride Safe
The Gecko

(RIP) Gerry Huxtable
18-01-03, 19:05
Mapsource update Ver. 4.11 also available.

cheers

Gerry

Howard Millichap
19-01-03, 15:15
I don't think there is a solution to your problem.
Garmin has addressed this by introducing data cards to some models such as the Street Pilot. These are loaded via a card reader via the USB port and so is much quicker i.e. 5 minutes for 128MB!!
Your GPS V is supposed to be a portable unit for use in the great outdoors as well as on a bike. So it has to be light in weight and small enough to go into a pocket. I had the same time of loading problem with the e-trex Vista with 24MB and thought that a data card plugged into it somehow would be great. It seems though that Garmin are not inclined to do this. Maybe it takes too much space to fit all the associated hardware.
I upgraded to a SP III recently and whilst being physically bigger than your GPS V it does all the same functions AND has unlimited mapping memory thanks to the data cards. It also has a colour screen which I have found makes it far easier to read.

judge
19-01-03, 23:24
I get the impression that the spec of the V is at the absolute limits of its original design. To have got turn-by-turn navigation and 19MB data storage in a unit physically designed for a much lower spec and the ever decreasing price of the 'high-end' dedicated units like the SPIII, probably suggests the V is the end of the line for that unit.

Having said that, be absolutely certain you can't live with the download speed problem as the 'natural' progression from V to SPIII is not as clear a winnner as Garmin will have you believe.

Don't overlook other units like the Streetpilot and 176, both offering different but improved features over the V, but significantly cheaper than the SPIII.

I've finally got the 'Bitching Betty' feature working on the bike through my Autocom so am warming to it as a unit, though in built-up areas her incessant nagging plays havoc with my music listening pleasure!! :D :D :D

Gecko
20-01-03, 19:11
I am by no means disappointed with the GPS V it's great but only after reading about faster downloads did it get me thinking - but you know some things in life are not meant to be done quickly. I plug in the GPS V set it running and then sip my beer :beer: , have a smoke :spl1f: , surf the net a while and before you know it it's all done but sometimes I would have liked it to be a bit quicker ......normally when the beer and fags have run out !

I uploaded the 2.11 beta today but still about 47 minutes to upload 19mb of maps (about 2/3rds of all Belgium). Is there a USB connector for the GPS V - anyone know ?

Howard Millichap
20-01-03, 19:28
Originally posted by Gecko
Is there a USB connector for the GPS V - anyone know ?

No.

I have to use USB on my laptop to load the e-trex. (no serial port) I have to use an adaptor. Unfortunately the download speed is stuck at serial port speed.

Gecko
20-01-03, 19:53
Originally posted by Howard Millichap
No.

I have to use USB on my laptop to load the e-trex. (no serial port) I have to use an adaptor. Unfortunately the download speed is stuck at serial port speed.

Thanks Howard. Guess I'll just have to take my time and be patient. It's not really a bother but we all get used to everything being instant and disposable I guess.....more's the pity.

Howard Millichap
20-01-03, 20:27
As you said earlier. You just have another beer :beer: while you're waiting.:beer: :beer: or two......45minutes, maybe three :beer: :beer: :beer: Pints of course.