Buffeting - can it be cured/reduced?

Gromit

Hi all,

1st post on this forum but I'm sure not the last. I used to own an 1150GS back in '00 - did 12000 miles on it in 5 months and loved every single yard I travelled on that bike. However, the one big problem was the buffeting caused by the bike's terrible aerodynamics. I even asked the late great John Deacon about this at SPC's open day in May '00 and he reckoned it was a combination of the beak, fuel tank and screen - and could be made worse with the handguards fitted.

Anyway, a couple of years down the line, and a bit more development by the aftermarket screen manufacturers, is there now a way around this? I've since owned 2 1100S's (having started the Boxertrix group) but fancy getting back on the big GS - it better suits my size (6'3" 98kg) and I fancy a bit of sportsbike-murdering again.

Any advice most gratefully received.

Big 'hi' to Big Nige too. :)

Hi gromit,

I cut the lip off the top of the standard GS screen and then run it inthe lowest position setting, you get a lot of road grime on yer kit n lid, but it dosent feel like youve been boxing [and lost] after every ride

:p

Thanks Chris - I used to run my GS with the screen removed which whilst getting rid of most of the turbulence made me feel like a human sail. Sounds like a good idea removing the lip - and a lot more cost-effective than an aftermarket screen.

Although...

Steve - that screen is gorgeous! What a beautiful piece of kit. Hmmm... maybe the Dremmel won't be coming out just yet. :D

Cee Baileys

I don't get any buffeting with the Cee Baileys screen, I'm 6ft 1" and had the adventure conversion 3" taller and 2" wider and I have to stand up to get into the air stream, its first class.
This sctreen is 8" taller and 6" wider than a standard 1150 screen.

scurrell said:
I've more or less eliminated the buffetting with a two part MRA Vario screen. The vented design eliminates the low-pressure area behind the screen that sucks in all the air around it. Works for me, and most other people I know who've tried it.

http://www.boxer-design.de/en/Varioscreeen1150.htm

Steve
I've read some mixed write up's about this screen on the forum on www.advrider.com some owners seem to not rate it's durability at all well. How long have you had yours ? I must admit they look great but is it really as well made as it looks stylish ?

Re: Cee Baileys

Jimb said:
I don't get any buffeting with the Cee Baileys screen, I'm 6ft 1" and had the adventure conversion 3" taller and 2" wider and I have to stand up to get into the air stream, its first class.
This sctreen is 8" taller and 6" wider than a standard 1150 screen.

What is Cee Baileys ? I have never heard of it/them ? Am I missing something ?

Gecko said:
Steve
I've read some mixed write up's about this screen on the forum on www.advrider.com some owners seem to not rate it's durability at all well. How long have you had yours ? I must admit they look great but is it really as well made as it looks stylish ?

It's very well made, but a little, shall we say "flexible". Not the thickest piece of plastic in the world, and it does flex a little at speed, but I've had it for about 18 months, and it's never been a problem.

Steve.

Like Steve I've done about 15,000 miles with a MRA Vario and It's great - build quality is great and I've never had a problem.
Gecko -as you live in Belgium - go to Wunderlich nr Nurburgring to buy one direct - it'll be cheaper.

My bike with MRA Screen

MRA Vario

Attachments

• 2002 r1150 gs - with goodies fitted1.jpg
    2002 r1150 gs - with goodies fitted1.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 446
Gromit,

I also bought an Adventure Cee Baileys screen for my 2000 R1150GS last summer. It's + 4" taller and +3" wider in a light gray tint (very aesthetic !!).

Initially I still had some buffetting in its sloped position but when I went against instinct and put it in the most upright (barn door facing the wind at right angles !!) it significantly cut down the noise and buffetting. I'm 5' 10" and can see over the top of the screen, moreso by straightening my back beyond the "slouch" position, which means I am both better positioned ergonomically and benefit from the screen.

I would also like to try the Varioscreen as Mr Scurrell and JohnnyBoxer seem to rate it (and they seem like chaps who know what they-re talking about - (grovel grovel) - ) but having lashed out megabucks on the Cee Baileys I'm reluctant to experiment when the bike "needs" other more essential expenditure.

I've just bought the Touratech "single-cup" handguards and spoilers (£75 - ouch !) from Bracken to try to reduce the buffetting coming off the standard handguards.

Like you, I have this bizarre relationship with the GS - fantastic bike in many respects but the buffetting and noise nearly drove me nuts. I suppose it's a bike that challenges you to keep thinking about how you can improve it but in a way different to that typical of a Japanese missile bike.

One other thing - where you go for height on a screen you also get more "wobble" from the screen as vibration sends pulses through the body of it. But you do get used to it and it is very much reminiscent of a plane I used to get to fly in many years ago - it's all part of the "character".

Finally - I also agree totally with the "cut back the standard screen" approach and "slope it down" by drilling new locating holes. It works and looks funky but is a "summer" option only and you do get a million flies splattered across your helmet.

But not much turbulence.

Amazing really that BMW dealers don't provide more of this type of guidance.

Alex Bee

Many thanks for the replies - it is encouraging to know that when/if I get another GS I'll be able to do something about the turbulence - to me it was the bike's only real fault.

At the time of owning my 1150 I actually contacted BMW about this - they wrote back and asked me what helmet I wore. I wrote back saying I had an Arai Quantum. They then went on to say 'if you buy a BMW helmet the problem will disappear - all our bikes our wind-tunnel-tested blah blah blah....' :rolleyes:

Yep, I've got the MRA Vario screen too.

Top bit of kit and totally gets rid of the turbulence.

Recommended.

:)

Mark Rodgers said:
I have read that a lot of the buffeting and turbulence are caused by the instrument panel and screen being so far away from the rider.

I posted a picture on another thread which MikeO identified as the Touratech 'Metisse' conversion which bins the beak and brings the instrument cluster in closer. As well as looking good, I would imagine this would have a dramatic influence on / improvement to the airflow characteristics. Anyone tried it????

I have not tried it and at Euro 499.00 plus shipping costs :nono and you lose the GS's identity and turn it into a roadster I am not sure who would want to ...... I have seen a similar front end chop on the R1100GS and it looks ok but somehow without the duckbill I wonder is it still a GS ?

When I rode out today I was getting blown all over the place - it was as windy as hell. Then I realised that the hood from my hooded top was sticking up outside my biking jacket and creating serious turbulence.

Clearly small changes can have big consequences

re: beak eliminator kit

If removing the screen eliminates the buffeting (which it does I have tried it) and confirmed by changing the screen to something like the MRA, doesn't this pretty much rule out the beak as being the primary problem?

Buffeting & turbulence.

That is not a problem:
Slow your speed!;)

Don't drive so fast; I don't have this problem when I'm driving my Vespa Bravo, 1979, variomatic, 2 horsepower, max speed downhill 47 km/h.

And I have no problem with bugs on my visor or my lamp lens!
:grin :helmet
Klem, Liv.

Re: Buffeting & turbulence.

Liv said:

And I have no problem with bugs on my visor or my lamp lens!
:grin :helmet
Klem, Liv.

Must still be a pain washing them off the rear light lens and numberplate though.

:D

Cee Baileys

Gecko, Cee Baileys is an aircraft window & cockpit manufacturer in California
http://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw/index.html
I looked at the MRA but couldn't get it in clear only in a tint and I wanted it clear as I take pictures thru' it, I went the other way with my Cee Baileys and had it made big enough to slope backwards and it works, I had a Gold wing that I had a Tulsa Aeroflow screen on that and it was superb so I had the Cee Baileys made with that in mind 8 " taller Than the standard GS and 3" taller than the adventure so I could tilt it back.

Back
Top Bottom