Off Road Thetford Sunday 17th July

Tricky

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Route 35

A couple of us (so far) are going to ride this route on Sunday 17th July....... we are both first timers and doing it for laughs etc :eek:

Anyone else interested?

If your an off road 'god' or have even only done it once or twice before please join us... and be gentle with us of cause.. ;)

Other 'virgins' also more than welcome :)

http://www.offroadroutes.net

Us Thetford boys have ridden these lanes for the past 20 years, but have a prior engagement. Should you reschedule we will be pleased to show you the easy and the hard routes. There be fords, quarrys, enduro trails etc.

Maybe next time...

as you know Tricky...

I'm in.... I have my pass from SWMBO already... date is in my diary !!!!

i'm a greenlane virgin, with a stock GS, so nothing too tricky for me please...

:D

-Stu

I might come along, I can't ride right now though as I'm nursing a broken bone in my right hand at the moment from a recent race, but I'd be happy to offer some how to tips :D :D

Like, " how to break your hand at less than 5mph ":D :D

Reckon I'll be good by the 17th.

Nice one Stumpi....... hope to see you there (hand permitting..)

Warning - bringing a camera is compulsory.... all cock up's will be photographed and the resulting picture of the 'aftermath' posted on this site..... :D

PS We may change to route 34 as it is shorter (less hard!!) and plan to be finished by mid afternoon (after an early start mind...)

I might well be up for this (wifie permiting) and like Stu Im a off road virgin on a stock 1150 gs so it should be quite an adventure.

God you guys, go get some tkc 80s, great off road, and just as good ( but last less ) Tourances on road.

It'll make the offroad experience so much more enjoyable.

You can actually ride through mud :eek:

Plus, they look the nuts.

:)

Hi Tricky,

Its me with that rusty old KTM Prestige from the Bentley meet ;)
Nice to see you again after so long and fancy seeing you on a Beemer! Anyway spotted your little offroad excursion so came to say hello. Take it nice and easy but not too slow cos that's when GS'ers always drop their pride and joy with a big ouch!!

I went for a test ride today on a GSA, lovely :) so watch this space, just have to work on her indoors. Drop me a mail.

Best wishes

Mermoto

Hi Tricky,

A new member but been watching for a while - is there space for me on the 17th?

Very much a novice but had a bash in Holland earlier this year - i now know how to fall off really well in sand

benem said:
Hi Tricky,

A new member but been watching for a while - is there space for me on the 17th?

Very much a novice but had a bash in Holland earlier this year - i now know how to fall off really well in sand

Hi Benem

Yes of cause all welcome :)

Will post here in next few days (or maybe early next week to give any others more time) re meet up point and time etc.

If you go to the link in the first post you can view pictures etc of the route (34). I have downloaded it (it costs £6.50) so no need for anyone else to do this (unless you want to of cause..)

Have sent it to Stu (swebb) and hopefully he can download it onto his GPS (unfortunately I don't have GPS) The site recommends doing this for max enjoyment of the route etc

But as said before (unless stumpi can make it...) we will all be first timers and just doing it for fun etc

mermoto said:
Hi Tricky,

Its me with that rusty old KTM Prestige from the Bentley meet ;)
Nice to see you again after so long and fancy seeing you on a Beemer! Anyway spotted your little offroad excursion so came to say hello. Take it nice and easy but not too slow cos that's when GS'ers always drop their pride and joy with a big ouch!!

I went for a test ride today on a GSA, lovely :) so watch this space, just have to work on her indoors. Drop me a mail.

Best wishes

Mermoto

Hi Mermoto

Great also to see you t'other evening, I dont think the years have been to unkind to either of us ;)

Get that GSA!!!! Just tell her indoors it's my fault...........;)

Have been away for a few days so will buzz you shortly...:)

NOT IMPRESSED !!!!

I've just downloaded the route 34 info, expecting to be able to upload into my GPS...

NOPE !!

The destructions on the site are CRAP, i can only download .wpt, or .rxf files, which when i try to open in Mapsource, are rejected.

Site refers to "memory-map" but seems you have to pay for that, which i'm not prepared to do... so i guess all in all...

BLOODY USELESS!

Won't be using any of those routes in future... lessons learnt i guess :(

Damn shame, it'll be a lot slower going if we're having to refer to the paper route all the time to figure out where we're going!!

Bugger!!

Will have to bring my sun dial then..............:(

Anyone else got any suggestions for this or advice for finding our way without reverting to the poxy paper map all the time?

Hi Tricky

I suggest that you keep your fingers crossed while speaking nicely to those Thetford Boys, who have already said that they would show you around the route another time; maybe that other time could be before the 17th.

Gotta be flexible and adaptable to get the best out of life.

:D

Keith

All Looking better

All is looking somewhat better at last, with help from the forum, i now have the waypoints listed in my gps, so fingers crossed the route should be somewhat easier to follow....

roll on 17th.... proof is in the pudding :D

Hi guys

Thanks to all that turned up.... sorry I was in the wrong Little Chef......... D'oh :homer

Was quite an experience and lots of fun although a little nerve racking at times!!

Some of the sandy sections were tricky(!!) for sure in places....momentum is everything. ;) (one of many lessons I learned today)

That grass section with the very deep ruts :eek: :eek:
was knacked after that and was not sure that I could go any further... glad I did mind!!

A big thanks to Stu for navigating (tell the missus that men can multitask ok.....)

Hope everyone got home safe.... and look forward to next time.. :) :)

PS Think I impressed the neighbour when got home... left the bike on the front drive in it's semi hardcore state for a least 3 hours before cleaning it........ sorry Richard (benem).
No sniggering at the back please........ ;)

PPS Will have engine bars fitted next time... for extra peice of mind.. :beerjug:

Attachments

• pictures 4 posting.jpg
    pictures 4 posting.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 119
Nosey neighbour......quote

"Is that the same bike as Obi Wan rode in LWR......."

"Simular" :rolleyes:

Attachments

• pictures 4 posting.jpg
    pictures 4 posting.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 119
Tricky, Thanks again for organising ride - really good fun and i'm looking forward to the rest of it soon.

Can't condone the washing though, still say they look better covered in muck.

So how many times collectively did we fall off?

Back
Top Bottom