Adventure y-piece, end can, etc

rugbug

All top stuff am reading about your GS's, but doea any of what has been put down apply to the Adventure as well?

I am really looking to seriously improve the midrange on my bike and hope it will stop sounding like a strangled Rowenta! I am keen to go the y-piece and K&N route, but which would be the 'best buy'? Have had Remus stuff before and thought it well put together, but not sure on the benefits of an end can (road or race) for this bike. Would re-chipping be of any benefit?

All thoughts and pearls of wisdom greatly welcomed. Any Adventurer's out there have done this?

Hi rugbug,

I have had the same debate albeit with the 'standard' GS1150, see my thread 'convinve me to fit a Y piece and remus can etc. I have decided to go for the Y piece and titanium Revolution Remus system which is quite new on the market. Apparently the can is full of fresh air apart from a small detachable baffle which converts it from E rated legal to highly illegal very quickly. I am holding back from a new chip till' I have seen the improvement the can makes. I cant think that the Adventurer should be any different. The power plant is exactly the same, ( I think!). The new system should be arriving by tomorrow so all being well will have it fitted and tested by the w/end. I will let you know the 'grin' factor. I guess like you I am not after more top end speed but I am sure it should grunt out more from corners. You need to ride a Ducati or a Norton Commando to know what I mean

Regards David

:beer: :beer:

My Adventure has a Remus Y-Piece and Titanium Race Can.

Worth it just for the sound :)

Animal,

Many thanks, just what I wanted to hear! Now the biggy, does it increase mid range oomph? In standard form its pretty good but should kick more for the cubes. My concern is that the cat and standard can strangle what must be some serious mule in that georgeous motor.

Cheers David:)

David Short said:
Animal,

Many thanks, just what I wanted to hear! Now the biggy, does it increase mid range oomph? In standard form its pretty good but should kick more for the cubes. My concern is that the cat and standard can strangle what must be some serious mule in that georgeous motor.

Cheers David:)

To misquote a well known advert,

"it does exactly what it says on the can" (or rather doesn't say)

It will indeed improve the mid-range grunt, by about 5 - 7 hp. Pulls much better in higher gears as well.

david,

thanks for your reply. can't wait to get some feedback from your weekend of fun on your rejuvinated GS.

I do miss that grunt, as i traded in my R1100S, which had a full vanderlinde system, for my Adventure. Boy did that sound like sex on two wheels!!!

keep us posted.

Tim.:homer

Tim, Many thanks. what got me really going on the wish to change was listening to the Boxer cup round at Assen last year, helped by copious tinnies of Orangboom, ( top Dutch lager). It was pure 'Dambusters', an orgy of sound!!

Cheers David :D :eek:

If you want that swarm of WWII planes buzzing past just like the Boxer Cup then go for the the full Laser Pro D'Or system with Y-piece, Can and chip. Add a K&N. I've done several thousand miles on mine so far and still grin when I open it up or shut it down and get that glorious backfire on overun. It has a slightly higher pitched sound than the Remus, which is less satisfying at tickover but much better at higher revs.

Huge increases in useable power from 3,000 revs upwards. Makes "E" gear much more versatile. Most of the time I never get out of 3rd or 4th gear though because I'm so busy howling along at 5,000 to 6,000 revs. The total set-up makes throttle response much quicker and crisper and you rev out so much quicker than with the standard system. All-in the Laser package with chip is cheaper than the Remus route.

Attachments

• laser exhaust side.jpg
    laser exhaust side.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 379
Simon, Thanks for that, great picture! I have gone down the Remus route but I think I will be happy from what others say about the improvement. Glad to hear about the E gear useability. Its always seems such a struggle on the standard system and I rarely use it below 70 unless I am being really laid back.

Cheers david:) :beer:

Simon,

the Laser system certainly looks the dogs! How much cheaper is it compared to the Remus?

Am missing my 'S now!

Typically, a Remus system new out of the box will cost about £540 depending on the type of end can. But if you then go for a BBChip as well you're pushing the wrong side of £800. Whilst the Power Chip that the Laser uses doesn't have the various settings for low octane fuel etc that the BBChip has, it comes as a package with the exhaust and Y-piece. You can shop around and get the whole Laser deal for about £550 although it should be closer to £700.
In other words, you should be able to get the Laser deal all-in with chip for the same price as a Remus can and Y-piece without chip. However, if you buy a Sebring Y-piece (same as Remus) and get a 2nd hand can you're talking about £300. Laser's for the 1150GS are new and not seen 2nd hand. Lots of Remus stuff comes up for sale on the board.

Don't know if this is relevant to your choice, but my dealer tried to fit a Laser Y-piece on my Adventure and found that, due to a slight change in the angle of the 'out' pipe, he was unable to get the end can (original) to fit in the same place. Not a problem except I had Touratech 'Special Set' of Zega cases fitted (they have a cut out to accommodate the can). This meant that I had to go for the (slightly more expensive) Sebring (which I had fitted by Bracken). It may,of course, have been a particular Y-piece that produced this problem, just a thought......

MikeO:)

Back
Top Bottom