Seat height/footpeg question

Spout

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Not an off road event but a question to all of those who also ride 'smaller' trail bikes aswell.

My brother has a 'dicky' hip which gives him pain riding bikes (he only rides trail bikes). The sharper the angle between hip/knee/ankle the greater the pain.
He's looking to buy a new/secondhand bike that he can at least ride in some comfort.
His requirements are a light bike, probably less than 400cc, but the seat has to be high in relation to the footpegs.

Can anyone recommend a bike? Is he better going for the new breed of 'enduro' (DRZ etc) or the old style (SP370 etc)?
His other option is to buy a trials bike and NEVER sit down!

Could you measure the footpeg/seat height on your bike?
(He's off round the dealers doing that now - but they never have a good selection)

Many thanks in advance.

Trail Bikes

Paul,
I 've always found XR's/DR's pretty good for comfort and rideability,either stood up or seated - 'on the rough'.
I also have a TLR200 - 4 stroke Honda and is more 'trials' related trail bike.
Whereas it's easy and light to control off road- it's not comfortable to ride on road, as the seat/footpeg ratio is too short and would play havoc with a dodgy hip.
I enclose a pic to show what I mean - so best to avoid these types.

Attachments

• my 1986 honda tlr200 reflex 3.jpg
    my 1986 honda tlr200 reflex 3.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 171
Given, the physical restrictions I would make an electric start the first priority.
I would buy a new DRZ 400 street version, not the Enduro and adapt it to suit with high bars and/or risers, stainless output bush, and remove all the bits I didn't need, perhaps a plastic tank. All the KTM's seem to have a high seat height as well.
Tim

The XR400 is notoriously tall in the saddle but I don't know if that is due to increased groundclearance or just being taller seat to foot pegs.

Cheers peeps!

Johnny, I used to own a TLR. You're right about it not fitting his requirements.

I think his solution must be to buy say a DR350 (the tank and seat are separate) and have the saddle raised/padded out.

Once he's sorted I'll get him to lead an off road route in North Wales for us.

Back
Top Bottom