Tyre Pressures

Timolgra

reformed
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
In the event of needing to run tubeless tyres at a reduced pressure for grip in sand or mud, does anyone have an idea at what pressures would I expect to lose a decent seal against the rim.?
Tim

Perhaps this is the answear, not my words but it seems that 16psi is ok.
Tim

"To prepare your own R11GS for offroad use.

If you have an aftermarket seat (eg Corbin) swop it for the original.
Remove:
pillion seat and slide in special latch
saddlebags
fairing
mirrors (right mirror is normal thread but left is not!).
Slightly loosen both the left and right handlebar controls so that they are firmly on the bars but can be twisted with some effort. (This lessens the chance of breaking/bending a brake/clutch lever in a fall - can be left all the time like this if you want).
Reduce tire pressure front and rear to 16 PSI (still handles ok on road but reflate asap when you return to tarmac. If it's a long way to an air compressor consider using compressed CO2 canisters). "
Depending on preference/surface, disable the ABS.
Pray you don't have to shell out too much money for turn signals etc! (Note the R1150GS turn signal stalks are more flexible and can be retrofitted to the R11GS).

I had a scare once when I rode home from work. The bike felt vague when cornering so I got home as quickly as I could (!?!) and gave it a check over. I found a nail in the front tyre which I must have picked up on the way into work that morning. I found it because I checked the tyre pressures and found the front to be at 5psi, and I had been travelling at anything up to 80mph. Like I said, it gave me good scare.

If you are going off-road, this would be way too low as the rough terrain would certainly push it off the rim. 16psi sounds reasonable.

16 to 20 sounds good to me. If you are going to be changing pressures much I would get and 12 volt air compressor and strip down and put a BMW acc plug on it and carry with you. Roy

Roy Barnes said:
16 to 20 sounds good to me. If you are going to be changing pressures much I would get and 12 volt air compressor and strip down and put a BMW acc plug on it and carry with you. Roy

Yes I have one of these. My concern was that if the tyre comes away from the rim a small pump may not supply enough volume of air to push the tyre back again.

Are you out there Bob Jeffries? I'm sure you know the answears here.
Cheers Tim

Paul Young said:
I had a scare once when I rode home from work. The bike felt vague when cornering so I got home as quickly as I could (!?!) and gave it a check over. I found a nail in the front tyre which I must have picked up on the way into work that morning. I found it because I checked the tyre pressures and found the front to be at 5psi, and I had been travelling at anything up to 80mph. Like I said, it gave me good scare.

If you are going off-road, this would be way too low as the rough terrain would certainly push it off the rim. 16psi sounds reasonable.

80mph with 5psi... you are one lucky puppy! I felt faint thinking about it!
:beerjug:

timolgra said:
Yes I have one of these. My concern was that if the tyre comes away from the rim a small pump may not supply enough volume of air to push the tyre back again.

Are you out there Bob Jeffries? I'm sure you know the answears here.
Cheers Tim

Ya could always bang it back into place like them nobbers who drive the big 4x4's around the artic - fill tire with a quick blast from a butane canister, lighter at arms length into general area of wheel/tyre and hey presto tyre back on rim [ps make sure you have somebody standing by with a video camara]:D :D :D :D

OK Chris next time you're over this way we can try that on your bike. If it doesn't work we'll get the acetelyne bottle out:D
Tim

Had a similar experience to Paul only with the rear tyre. Thinks: this doesn't feel right, fortunately near my dealer, stopped and 6" nail in rear tyre - no pressure would show on the guage. Luckily no damage to wheel.

Tyre due for a change anyway so new tyre and Ultraseal - I don't want to experience handling like that again. Be interesting to see if Ultraseal is all its cracked up to be but then that was my first puncture in 12 years so sod's law will dictate that I won't get a puncture now the Ultarseal's in.

On second thoughts I'd rather not have a puncture at all than try out the effectiveness of the gloop.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom