Mallaig, Skye, Applecross, Ullapool, Durness, J'o'G, Orkney.

JohnC

Reaction score
Leaving tommorow, wild camping if poss. If ye see me gie me a wee wave, black GS1100, 2 up with gf, red seat and MM panniers :D

Photo's IF I return next Sunday ;)

Well, we got back yesterday after covering just over 1000 miles on Scotland’s finest roads. Our first (wild) camp was at Arisaig with a cracking little beach all to ourselves. During the night a storm hit and the ferry from Mallaig to Skye was cancelled. We decided to change our plans and headed from Mallaig straight to Applecross instead.

The weather was still pretty bleak and high winds on the road over to Applecross made the journey quite tricky, especially the hairpin bends near the summit. Once we arrived the weather picked up but from a very sunny Applecross you could hardly see Skye for the clouds so we decided to leave the trip to both Skye and Orkney for another time.

After Applecross we headed to Ullapool via the road to Shieldaig. This road is really fantastic with some stunning beaches. Ullapool was warm and very busy and at the campsite we hooked up with a few lads on BM’s and a Guzzi. We soon decided to head into town for some food and liquid refreshments at the Seaforth. Dave (GS1150), Ron (California) and Lawrence (1200 RT), if you’re reading this, again, pleased to have met you all ;)

After Ullapool we headed up to John ‘O’ Groats where again the weather was warm and sunny. With a cracking (and virtually empty) campsite we stayed for two days exploring the beaches and cliffs while watching the varied wildlife. We then spent our last night by the banks of Loch Ness which was a mistake and after being eaten alive by midges we decided to head home a day early. All in all a fantastic trip made even better with the sunny weather we experienced for most of it.

John

yab46u.jpg

yab46v.jpg

yab4ul.jpg

yab4vy.jpg

yabgwg.jpg

yabg2b.jpg

yabgwk.jpg

yabgsg.jpg

Some more photos of our trip can be seen at http://john1953.fotopic.net/c609953.html

Back
Top Bottom