ordanance survey help

jinkxy

Reaction score
This is probable the wrong place to post but here goes
Having ridden the Ridgeway on the Sunday after the Beaulieu show on my 1150 with a mate from Redditch.:D Decided to pick up a ordnance survey map 159 Swansea/Gower (the pink one) to try some gentle trails around this area. But where the fek. to start.
Can I use
.roads used as a public path?
.byway open to all traffic?
Or is there any other info. On the O, S map to look out for:confused:Any advice appreciated. Steve

There's sadly no simple answer to this!!

You can definitely ride on any BOAT (Byway open to all traffic). You can probably ride on a RUPP (Road used as a public path). But the definitive status of a road is recorded on the local authority's definitive map - the OS map is a copy of the DM but might be out of date.

To add to the confusion, just because a road is for example classed as a Bridleway (horses and cycles only) doesn't mean it can't also be open to vehicular traffic. The law surrounding this is a mess, and sadly if it gets simpler it will be due to many lanes being closed to vehicles.

The best advice I can give you is join the TRF not only for information but to help stop the NIMBYs in their crusade to ban vehicles from the countryside.

But ... if you want to get out there and ride some lanes :D

What I've been doing is looking on the OS maps not only for BOATS and RUPPs, but also unclassified country roads (UCRs - ie a white road with solid or broken edges) with pink dots on. The pink dots mean there's some sort of public right of access on the road. I don't think this always means vehicular access but it's a start.

Then I go out and ride to the potential lanes on my map, and just have a look. You can often get some clues as to the status of a lane, for example signposts - some byways are actually signposted as such. Don't be afraid to ask the locals - if a lane is in regular use by trail riders then they'll know about it. As long as the people who use the lanes are considerate I've found that the locals rarely object to their use, and having a polite little chat gives you the opportunity to present the "responsible" face of trail riding. Riding a BMW gives you a good chance of getting into long conversations with "old timers" too :D

If you're out by yourself, be conservative in deciding which lanes to actually ride on - the GS is a heavy beast and if you drop it on your leg you could be waiting for help for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom