Melbourne bike rental?

Cheesy Mike

Is there anywhere in Melbourne that rents bikes? I'm there for the weekend from July 14th-17th and wouldn't mind spending one of the days on a bike. Doesn't have to be a GS, but that would be a bonus!

Mike

Mike, it won't be cheap but should be worth it!

Assuming the Melbourne weather behaves :rolleyes:

Head out towards the Great Ocean Road - you won't be disappointed.

Iain

Thanks. I will investigate.

Are there any GSers in Melbourne? I know there are in Sydney - in fact I'm planning to meet up with Motomartin this Saturday night for a beer or two and to watch the rugby.

Mike

Cheesy Mike said:
Are there any GSers in Melbourne? I know there are in Sydney - in fact I'm planning to meet up with Motomartin this Saturday night for a beer or two and to watch the rugby.

Mike

There is at least one member of the board in Melbourne (but I can't remember his name right now :( )

Meeting with Motomartin? You are a glutton for punishment :D

As for bike rental, you could try this place

Iain

Mike,,
Heres my email reply from bikeroundOZ - the cheapest I found - but still twice the price of a BMW Z4 :D :D

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 5:55 PM
To: Phill Davis
Subject: Re: motorcycle hire questions

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your enquiry!

The road from Melbourne to Adelaide is fantastic and obviously covers the Great Ocean Road which is one of the best ocean drives in the world. The Grampians are a lovely ride and have some fantastic lookouts and waterfalls too if you fancy turning inland before heading towards Adelaide. The Murray River area is well worth a look as well if you have time.

2 x 1150GSs are available at the moment from the depot just north of Melbourne. The cost per bike for a 7 day hire (i.e. drop off time in Adelaide the same time as collection in Melbourne) would be AU$ 1012 inc. GST and insurance with AU$1000 excess. You can reduce this excess to nothing for an additional AU$44.

There will be a one way fee to drop off in Adelaide and this will be AU$450 each.

I hope this helps but please ask if you have any questions or if there is anything else I can do!

Thanks again and best regards

Mark

:D

PS -it'll be quite cold this time of year down there.

Attachments

• z4 x 2.jpg
    z4 x 2.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 102
motomartin said:
:D

PS -it'll be quite cold this time of year down there.

It can be quite cold in Melbourne ANY of year :rolleyes:

And I've remembered who is there, Mick Fagan

Enjoy the trip Mike,

Iain

Well, I've finally done it.
After lurking here for the last couple of years I've registered so I can offer a little advice.
A ride I recommend is starting from Whittlesea, north of Melbourne, Kinglake West and on up to Yea on the Goulburn Valley Highway. Stop for coffee and a breather and then approx 77 kms of highway (two lane road) to Mansfield. Turn off the highway heading up to Tolmie and then plenty of twisting winding road up to Whitfield.
By the time you get back to Melbourne it will have been a full day, in fact you will likely be arriving home in the dark, the days are short at this time of the year.
The weather lately has been quite dry, as I type this it is sunny with a light northerly breeze and about 14 deg. C.
Temperatures are likely to range from 2-3 deg C in the morning possibly reaching 15 deg C during the mid afternoon.
The road from Whittlesea through to just before Flowerdale runs through forested areas and one needs to be careful as the road will likely be damp with bark and leaves on the road.
If you decide to travel the Ocean Road, I suggest that you travel through Geelong staying on the Princes Highway turning off at Mt. Moriac. heading south to Moriac. Turn westerly to Modewarre continuing on past Wordibuloc Reservoir and then turning left at C151 towards Bambra and Deans Marsh. Continue on C151 heading for Lorne. This is a great bike route and avoids what I think is a more boring ride from Geelong to Anglesea and avoids a lot of traffic and potential speed cameras etc.
From Lorne it's the best part of the Ocean Road along to Apollo Bay.
There are two routes back to Melbourne worth considering.
The longest is continue on to Lavers Hill, Weeaproinah (highest rainfall in Victoria) and then on to Colac for approximately 2.5 hrs of fairly boring road back to Melbourne or, return to Skenes Creek turning north towards Forrest eventually arriving back on the Princes Highway at the junction of Birregurra Road and the highway.
Either of these rides will mean a fairly early start, no later that 8:00 am to be able to enjoy the day and will still mean returning home in the dark. I tend to use the daylight hours for the best parts of the rides,leaving the transit return (boring) part of the trip to be done in the dark.
I will be on my days off 16/17th July and possibly free on the afternoon and evening of the 15th. I ride anywhere in any weather so if you would like some company and a guide on any ride you choose to do on these days, please contact me. I ride equipped with punture outfit, air compressor, first aid, cdma phone, GPS, mapsand more often that not, a billy and a stove for my cups of tea.
Sorry, can't help that, I am a Pommy after all. : )
Please excuse the long post but perhaps others may find this information useful.
Regards, Brian.
bjinks@optusnet.com.au

Thanks for all the information. Food for thought.

One thing I'm definitely doing in Melbourne is meeting up with my dad's cousin. I don't yet know what day this will be and it will, for sure, involve a lot of hard drinking if previous meetings with him are anything to go by! So, schedule (and hangover) permitting, I'm looking forward to the possibility of getting on two wheels during my trip.

Mike

I have to say a really like Melbourne.

Friday after work was a blur of alchohol.

Saturday wasn't much different - although my uncle did run me up to Echuca to see the Murray river and to have lunch at a club up there.

Sunday I decided to take it easy but ended up utterly exhausted after walking across much of metropolitan Melbourne seeing the sites from the shore at St Kilda across the CBD and everything inbetween.

Adelaide was really nice and I also got to meet MikeF.

Now I'm in Perth where it is a bit warmer and I'm holed up for the night in the 5 star Intercontinental on the executive floor. You should see the size of the jaccuzi in my room!

I like Australia!

Mike

Back
Top Bottom