UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
RamMan are they now in stock at GPSW?

Cheers
Steve

Still waiting

for mine, ordered weeks ago!

How can I forget...

As far as I know they are coming this week.

I expect to see the first of 'em either Wednesday or Thursday this week.

GPS Warehouse will clear the back orders first. Demand in USA is also good as its now on several US reseller sites under a RAM name. Rest assured, the UK shall gets em first.

RAM-man

judge said:
Had no probs getting mine......... oh yeah I got a 2610 ain't I?!!! :upyou

Yes, yes, we :eek::eek::eek::eek:ing know!!!:koi

Ram Man, is it good news? Do you have the Holy Grail of power cables yet? :D
Steve

judge said:
I do hope so - I'd really like to hear some good news about powering the unit - preferably before that screen packs up for good :upyou

The screen is as good as new again and the unit works perfectly. Is it true you're having to over-inflate your front tyre so as to cope with the extra weight from your massive 2610?:dabone
I know a place where you can still get hold of the valves for that particular GPS, or is yours the gas powered version?

My sleek and sexy Quest was powered all through the Garmisch trip and performed as advertised ( did you know you can take it off the bike and put it in your pocket btw ??? ;) ). Nice and easy to use with all the detail maps on it that it should have had ( hi Bob :D ).

2610 ???

:mooney

Beemer said:
Ram Man, is it good news? Do you have the Holy Grail of power cables yet? :D
Steve

... Beemer, JohnnyG, Schnauzer et others ....

ALL QPAC versions arrived today . They are at gpsw not with RAM-man. Back orders being cleared, so the postman cometh ..

RAM-man

RAM-man said:
... Beemer, JohnnyG, Schnauzer et others ....

ALL QPAC versions arrived today . They are at gpsw not with RAM-man. Back orders being cleared, so the postman cometh ..

RAM-man

Thanks for the info' Steve

Steve

Thanks for the note, but i needed a power cable for my italy switzerland trip at the start of june and purchased a garmin powered cradle.................

many thanks steve .. you were very helpfull on the phone today after a long and frustrating wait.. its good to find people that actually do what they say they will do and call when they say they will ...

OK guys. My Quest arrived today but the power cable wasn't quite what I expected and is only suitable for the car. I assumed it would simply be a lighter type plug with a lead but it's got a bloody speaker attached to it!

What is this power cable you are talking about (part number?) and why doesn't it come as part of the bundle? It seems strange that the RAM cradle for a bike is supplied but no way of getting power to it.

From the postings on here it seems the cable also comes with an audio lead. If I don't have an Autocom how can I use the audio lead? Will I need some sort of pre-amp? Then presumably I'd need speakers for the helmet? Aargh ......I'm starting to think this may have been a mistake........

I definitely think a proper FAQ is needed for GPS :D

Looking forward to your replies

Cheers

Dick

Dick
You'll need either the powered Ram mount that Ram Man is talking about or the Garmin Motorcycle Mount part no 010-10610-00. I got my Garmin mount from South West Optics - £51 inc postage a few days ago.

You don't need a pre-amp for the audio, an ear piece will do. So that's one good bit of news for you!

John

Dick if you are using the Ram mount for your Quest what you need is a QPAC,

I got my QPAC01 from Ramman, I used the feed from the battery to starter motor for the connections. the audio jack when not in use, hangs from the mount on 2inches of cable and does not get in the way. so there is no problem if you do not run an autocom or similar.

try searching on QPAC for more info.

Dick,

My Quest arrived today but the power cable wasn't quite what I expected and is only suitable for the car. I assumed it would simply be a lighter type plug with a lead but it's got a bloody speaker attached to it!

>> This power lead is for indoor 'car' use and not suitable for outdoor use on a bike. I have mentioned this in the QPAC threads in the forum . I have also argued against 'mod' the car cable to use on bike for several reasons. The Garmin power lead connector will attach to the RAM GA15 cradle - remember there is the TORX screw to fiddle with.

What is this power cable you are talking about (part number?) and why doesn't it come as part of the bundle? It seems strange that the RAM cradle for a bike is supplied but no way of getting power to it.

>> Not so, look at www.gpsw.co.uk, search QPAC, there's three versions, bare wire or two versions with plug. QPAC is *designed* for use with the RAM GA15 cradle, it has a higher temp rated Vreg chipset and is sealed so is for use on bikes. Again QPAC has been a discussed topic in the Forum, Jon has also posted an image of it on his bike. QPAC is a GPSW branded product - it finally arrived this week and is now shipping.

From the postings on here it seems the cable also comes with an audio lead. If I don't have an Autocom how can I use the audio lead? Will I need some sort of pre-amp? Then presumably I'd need speakers for the helmet?

>> QPAC has a female jack socket for you to connect comms or a head set its. Its comes with either a 2.5mm or 3.5mm jack and gives a thru port to the Quest. Depending on how its wired you may need a cable from the comm supplier for feeding into any other powered bike powered device.

RAM-man

Thanks Steve, that makes it an awful lot clearer but....

I take it the 1.7m leads with BMW plugs will be long enough to go from the power outlet on the crankcase under the tank to the RAM mount on the bars? Is there any advantage to having something "hard wired" rather than just using the BMW plug? It seems to me that if there is a drain on the battery with a hard wired system then a plug that you remove each time you don't ride would be preferable but no-one appears to be taking that route. So what am I missing?

And relating to the audio..... I'm still not clear whether I can simply run the audio direct to speaker in my helmet without running it through a pre-amp. What's the view?

And.......... once again.. any recommendations for a flat speaker I can use in my helmet (without buying an overpriced Autocom one?)

Cheers

Dick

You can run audio into an earpiece without using Autocom or such like and there's a volume control on the Quest (press and hold the speaker button to activate). I've used an earpiece but i doubt it would successfully drive a helmet speaker though wiithout amplification.

The neatest way to power the Quest if you don't want it hardwired is to fit the BMW auxillary socket up bey the handlebars and then you can run a neater short lead to the mount. The BMW kit is about £25 and is a doddle to fit - just piggybacks onto the rear of the standard socket - and you'll need to drill a hole in the top return of the fairing to fit the plug.

john

guitarman said:
Thanks Steve, that makes it an awful lot clearer but....

I take it the 1.7m leads with BMW plugs will be long enough to go from the power outlet on the crankcase under the tank to the RAM mount on the bars?
>>QPAC03-xx has the longer lead with plug for fitting onto the RT's and 1200GS

Is there any advantage to having something "hard wired" rather than just using the BMW plug?

>> choice. I suppose if it was just bare wire then other s wanted a plug , so we gave GSer's a choice - a mistake (I wonder) .

It seems to me that if there is a drain on the battery with a hard wired system then a plug that you remove each time you don't ride would be preferable but no-one appears to be taking that route.

>> I had covered this in a forum thread reply. If quest is in either the G bike mount or the RAM with QPAC, I recall the drain will approx 200mA, so if the bike sits in the garage for several weeks, then the battery will have some drain. Quest should be removed from QPAC overnight, another thought I have had mentioned is on hardwire is to add a switch or wire to the bike ignition.

And relating to the audio..... I'm still not clear whether I can simply run the audio direct to speaker in my helmet without running it through a pre-amp. What's the view?
>> yes by using the helmet jack into the QPAC jack socket. Audio level is via Quest, so QPAC like the G version gives an audio thru port.

RAM-man

Back
Top Bottom