How do fit an Autocom?

woodsie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am soon to recieve all of the pretty pictures and photos and price lists but any help or advice available on the how to fit, where to fit, best way of fitting electrical connections, running wires, ear pieces, microphones etc.

I'm initially just going for rider/pillion with anything else fitted later on.

Anything on the subject will be useful so its over to you out there in internet land.

..................................and thanks in advance.

One way is to go to your BMW dealer and pay the money!!

If not then the best place underneath the front bit of the seat after having unscrewed the holder that keeps the diagnotic plug in place.

Find a switched wire to get your power, solder and you're away.

Personally I paid the money.... but I may have more of that than sense:goof

Woodsie,

what bike have you got? I've fitted my Autocom on my Adventure (non-ABS) under the tank in the gap where the ABS pump normally fits (there's room for the alarm box & other stuff there too). I've wired the power supply to the bike, the cables under the tank & out under the seat, the rider's lead coming out between the front seat & the tank, the pillion lead at the side near the join in the seats. I've put a Bike to Bike radio in under the rear seat, having cut the bottom out of the tool tray (I have a std GS seat & rack). If you have ABS, you might consider mounting he Autocom under the rear seat as well. I took the power supply from the sidelight circuit.

MikeO:)

Woodsie, The Autocom can be put in your pocket with its integral 9V battery, or sit it on top of the air filter box and let the cable come out of the front of the front seat and the passenger cable under the seat and out between the two seats, the phone works like a charm with it and the satnav.

As Mike says, if your bike doesn't have ABS, there is a chunky bit of space under the tank. However, with ABS, the options are rather more limited.

I have thrown all of the tools out of my tooltray, cut out some of the moulding and used that for both the Autocom unit and the radio. It's a tight fit - but can be done.

I'll post a piccie later.

Greg

Thanks for the feedback.

Timbo, what are you saying! Pay BMW to fit it!! Wash your mouth out!!

Mike. Std 1150 with ABS. I had read about the use of the ABS space under the tank, thanks for the reminder.

In the pocket Jimb? Something nice and lumpy and unforgiving if were to land on the deck at any rate of knots. Prefer to fit it

How useful is the space under the front seat in front of the tool tray? Looks quite a reasonable gap.

Had a chat about with jud9e at Eynesford last night so have some ideas now.

The info from Autocom was not much help really - just a list and schematics.

I'll think about it some more and look forward to the piccie from Greg.

Thanks again

Speaker Position

Woodsie, The position of the speakers in the helmet is critical, take care to fit them where Autocom reccomend, better still if you go there they will fit them for you while u wait.

Gregg

I'm not sure if you caught my previous post to you on the other Autocom thread, but I saw your earlier picture of the install, and would like my dealer to do the same. Is it possible to either post some more pics or email them to me.

Cheers

Simon

Here's the piccie, guys.

The unit is hardwired to the bike picking up an ignition feed from under the tank. There's no battery on the radio.

The radio is screw mounted onto the tooltray using its standard screw mounts. The Autocom unit is mounted using Velco - so it has a bit of give. The cables are tightly tied to the base of the tooltray so that there is no stretch or strain on them.

GFI

Greg

Attachments

• r1150gs autocom + radio installation.jpg
    r1150gs autocom + radio installation.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 482
Greg, what have you done to weather proof the area? The tooltray itself is not waterproof (there are drain holes in it) and the bottom of the tray, once you've cut holes in it, is exposed to the elements via the gaps between it & the rear mudguard. I've had heavy duty plastic bags heat seale around the radio, to give i some extra protection. (Job doesn't look nearly as Gucci as your's though :thumb)

MikeO

MIKE OUGHTON said:
Greg, what have you done to weather proof the area?
MikeO

Erm, nothing! I'm working on the principle that the units are both splashproof and that any water will drain out as quickly as it goes in. That area of my bike doesn't seem to get particularly wet - there was little evidence of water ever having been under the tool tray. However, I'll check regularly.

Greg

Woodsie

I have a standard GS with ABS and fitted the Autocom on top of the airbox. Unscrew the Diag plug and refit that to the side using velcro and also used velcro for the autocom but also added tie-wraps to ensure that it doesn't go anywhere!.
I picked up the live from the rear light with earth direct to the battery. That way the unit will be off unless you have the ign and lights on and thus saves any battery drain.
Don't forget that the long ear piece lead is for the rider as I have to admit that I originally ran the longest to to back and shortest to the rider as the unot is nearer the front!
I have fitted the din connectors on the air intake at the front and onto yhe ali seat frame at the rear using autocom 'P' clips which are only two quid from either autocom or BM dealers.

Works great!

Yesterday the SO and I were out for the first time using the bike-to-bike system.

It took us some time to set up the VOX adjustment. It seems to be very sensitive and required both units to have the proper adjustment before the system works.

Has anyone else had similar experience?

:headphone

Greg

Gregg

We also had some problems setting up the Vox for Bike to Bike,the problem is that you get a delay from when you speak till the radio keys up, also the radio takes about a second to unkey once you stop talking. You will get used to it and will naturally leave a delay between sentances. We ended up setting ours so that you need to talk quiet loudly, as the vox turns itself on at speed.
When I get the GS in March they are fitting the PTT switch to it, this is mainly so that I can talk to my pillion in private without it activating the radio. You can use the second switch on the PTT to activate the VOX function if you still want it too.

Simon

P.S We should all agree on a common channel that we use so that when we all meet up, we all can have a wee chat whilst riding.

Back
Top Bottom