What clothes to take?

Flyer

Reaction score
I'm going on a tour of Spain and Morocco in October, 17 days. What clothing should I take? I'll be solo on my 1150GS with BMW panniers and a tank bag.

Undies and socks can be washed at the hotel, but what about drying?

Flyer

Flyer said:

Undies and socks can be washed at the hotel, but what about drying?

Flyer

How about an elastic camping washing line and some pegs??
String from balcony or curtain poles etc

Tip I was once given which seems to hold true - put all the clothes you're intending to take on the bed & all the money on the dresser.

Then half the clothes & double the money :D

Might be a bit late for you now but I keep all my old socks, pants & T shirts that would have been chucked, take these & discard en route. That way your paniers get less full making moving on easier in the packing dept & gives more room to bring things (booze ;) ) back

Ade

Two top tips given above!

I don't know where you'll be going in Spain and Morocco, but it can be pretty nippy in the interior and mountains in Spain in October, so make sure you have a decent fleece. You need to work in layers, as you are likely to meet temperatures from just above freezing to around 30 degrees, sometimes in the same day. So you need to have layers you can put on and take off, as the situation changes.

I've just bought a shirt made by Icebreaker, which are shirts made from the wool of the Merino sheep (no Welsh jokes, please). These are great, as they keep you warm, remove moisture effectively, and more importantly, don't stink after one day wearing them, unlike polyester shirts which perform the same function. Expensive, but definitely worth it.

T-shirts, shorts and flip flops!

For t-shirts, pants and socks, go to somewhere like Rohans and buy self-wicking clothing. Wash your pants and socks in the hotel using soap, wring out, then lay them in a bath towel, roll into sausage shape, bend in two, tread on towel, then remove pants and socks which will be almost dry, hand over shower rail.

I did this every day in the US and the pants and socks were bone dry by the morning.

Kropotkin said:
I don't know where you'll be going in Spain and Morocco, but it can be pretty nippy in the interior and mountains in Spain in October

In the High Atlas too! If you have an electric jacket, take it. If you don't buy one!

Greg

Kropotkin said:
Two top tips given above!

I've just bought a shirt made by Icebreaker, which are shirts made from the wool of the Merino sheep (no Welsh jokes, please). These are great, as they keep you warm, remove moisture effectively, and more importantly, don't stink after one day wearing them, unlike polyester shirts which perform the same function. Expensive, but definitely worth it.

Available from Blacks here in the UK...right I'm off to Bluewater in the morning to check 'em out...

nadeem said:
Available from Blacks here in the UK...right I'm off to Bluewater in the morning to check 'em out...

You signed up for this trip, nadeem?

Flyer

No...couldn't get cover whilst I'd be away...will be going in April...

3 t-shirts
3 - jumpers
3 pairs trou'

sox n skiddies

bike gear

credit card - toothbrush

can't see what else you'd need ?

If you can afford it, take the Rohan option (at least shreddies, T-shirt and socks).

I thought the "wicking" and "minutes to dry" stuff was hype until I bought some of their stuff a year ago. I'll buy nothing else in future.

Don't bother carting 'dhobi dust' around, just step into the shower with the socks, shreddies and T-shirt on, use normal soap or shower-gel. Rinse it thoroughly in the sink after and wring it out.

The socks take longer to dry but the other stuff dries in minutes, literally.

www.rohan.co.uk

Back
Top Bottom