Engine will not start

delpel

Reaction score
Hi folks, having a bit of a problem starting the engine in the 1150GS I am rebuilding.

First a bit of history for you. Bike was involved in a front ender about 18months ago. She has sat untouched until I took pity on her. Most of the front end was wrecked. The front forks bent and the front wheel went through the front engine case.

I have replaced the front engine case, rotor and pulley. New fuel, New oil, filter etc and hooked it up to my car via jump leads - No battery fitted at this stage.

First I turned her over with a spanner and everything was a little tight. Some spray oil lube down the spark plug holes and gentle turning and now she turns freely (suspect rust in bores etc) put spark plugs (4 off) back in and turned over again with spanner. You can now feel it going through compression stage.

Next I connected the jump leads and ran car at tick over. I turned on ignition and let it go through ABS testing. Servos made noises and I think fuel primes. I am left with ABS light flashing fast. I suspect this is because the sensor is hanging in free air :confused:

My problem is when I press the starter the engine turns as seen from the pulley but then all the lights go dim and the starter motor relay chatters. Release button and try again = same thing. Engine turns and then chattering relay.

Anybody had problems like this. Could it be my poor Toyota Yaris battery isn't man enough or the engine is just tight.

Where should I go from her

Sorry for the long post but really could do with some advice.

Regards

Derek

you must have a battery in the bike, make sure the connections are clean and secure,
the jump leads you are using are most llikley the diy type that will not let enough current flow, hence chattering relays,
the reason you need a battery in the bike is to allow it recharge for a few minuets from your yaris before starting the bike,
this will reduce the chances of a voltage surge blowing your ecu.
the best thing to do is just fit a charged battery and forget about jump starting.:beerjug:

Yes had same trouble using jump leads too. Recharging the battery was the only way I could get it started.

connection on the jump leads is bad and causing high resistance / low current.

Try positive lead directly to starter motor terminal

earth lead to earth bolt - not cables to cables.

or just buy a new battery - you'll need one soon anyway ??

Remember to put fresh fuel in it.
Unleaded goes off after a few months and doesnt work.
Sound as if yer batts flat though.

Guys,

Thanks very much for confirming my suspicsions. Isn't it amazing how you think you know the answer to your problem but just need that warm fuzzy feeling of other peoples knowledge.

I have beed trawling all the threads related to this topic and realised the battery is fairly crictical and sensitive as to which type to use. Has anybody brought one of these Hawker Odessy batteries from the states.

I am living in Cyprus and I think I will need to mail order what ever I buy.

Thanks again guys.

Del

Delpel, there is only one make of battery I will ever fit to my motorcycles: YUASA.

They cost more but are the best. When you consider that most roadside electrical breakdowns/problems can be attributed to poor batteries, fit the best and have peace of mind. Anything else is a false economy. The YUASA on my Yamaha is 6 years old, has provided thousands of starts, and thanks to my optimate when stored, never misses a beat. I doubt that cheaper brands would last this long.

cookie said:
a popular misconception in my experience.

Well, Mr Cookie. Buy a petrol lawnmower, put it away for the winter, then try to start it up in spring.
Mine does not start. As soon as fresh unleaded is added .... instant start.

Pukmeister said:
The YUASA on my Yamaha is 6 years old, has provided thousands of starts, and thanks to my optimate when stored, never misses a beat. I doubt that cheaper brands would last this long.

I thought they were a cheaper brand -

they don't last the year on the airhead twins -

try not plugging it into an optimate and see how long it lasts :D

Den said:
Well, Mr Cookie. Buy a petrol lawnmower, put it away for the winter, then try to start it up in spring.
Mine does not start. As soon as fresh unleaded is added .... instant start.

sorry to vere off topic here, but...

i have a petrol lawn mower, leaf blower, chain saw & two hedge trimmers. they all start after being laid up for months.

last week i went round poole bay powered by my 25 year old outboard running on 9 month old pre mix.

if your mower/bike/outboard/whatever needs fresh petrol to start after being laid up after a few months (or a couple of years IME) it's 'cos it's a marginal starter anyway.

or it's just a POS of course :D

i know the theory of volotile elements evaporating off, but experience tells me this is rather less of a problem in reality.

my point was, it's almost certainly not stale petrol*. don't waste your time changing it. look for the real reason it won't start.

* disclaimer. of course it could be. don't know HOW old gas is.

Back
Top Bottom