Mouse/touchpad Buttons

MikeO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having got Mr Paperclip out of my life (hurrah!), perhaps one of you could help me with this one....

I recently bought a Time laptop which, despite all warnings to the contrary, has proved, so far, to be an excellent bit of kit. The only slight snag is the touchpad thingy. I've fitted an optical mouse, for ease of use while I'm at home, and it works fine. The touchpad is also OK, but below it are 3 buttons - clearly a left & right mouse button, which work OK, and then a 2-way up+down rocker switch in the middle. This is clearly meant to emulate the wheel on the mouse, but in fact doesn't do anything. Any ideas as to how to activate this? It won't be the end of the world if I can't - I just like things to work.....:D

MikeO

Mike,

you'll probably find an option to turn it on/off in Control Panel.

Try 'Start', 'Control Panel', 'Mouse' and see if you can find it there.

Steve.

Nah, thanks, Steve, but that was the first thing I tried. According to the control panel, it should work.... :(

MikeO

Cookie,

am I likely to find a suitable driver somewhere in Windows XP? The laptop came ready loaded and running - as far as I can tell, this is the only snag...

MikeO:)

would have thought if xp had a driver it would have installed it.

if proper driver is in (at least with ms mouse) you will have entry in start>progs>microsoft hardware or microsoft mouse, depending on version. i guess other manufacturers will have similar.

if not:

is it M$ intellimouse optical? or logitech or somesuch? go to relevant manufacturers website & look under "downloads" thendownload/install driver.

Mike does the mouse properties box look like this.... if not then the slider will not work. Have a look at www.synaptics.com they may have the driver there

mouse.jpg

i think i'll have to read the questions more thoroughly in future. i thought it was the mouse wheel that didn't work. sorry :rolleyes:

You might also find that the touch pad doesn't work fully if the mouse is connected.

:)

Strangely, it works exactly the same whether the mouse is connected or not, Nige... (ie correctly, now, thanks Paul!)

MikeO:)

Back
Top Bottom