Noisy gear box

(RIP) Yosi

Reaction score
I have in my eleven hundred probably the noisiest gear box ever produced. In London pedestrian run for cover fearing a bomb every time i change gears. However, first start in the morning, when cold, the gear box is as sweet as any japanese. Only when the engine reach working temp. is the gear crap.
So I'm thinking to myself. Thicker oil? I use the standard Alford 10-40 oil. Where can I find higher viscosity gear oil? Or maybe syntetic oil? Ben told that can help...
Any sugestion on sourcing gear oil?

Cheers, Yosi

Yosi said:
? I use the standard Alford 10-40 oil.

THIS IS ENGINE OIL - YOU MUST USE GEAROIL :eek: :eek:

any EP oil will do,as long as it's to GL5 spec

:eek: :eek: :eek: If it's engine oil, replace it with GL5 spec transmission oil IMMEDIATLY! Already maybe too late...

Even I know the difference between engine and gear oil. This is the oil I've been using so far for 4 years. And the gear box is still working...
I ordered Silkolene GL5 oil. We'll try that...

Attachments

• gear-oil-web.jpg
    gear-oil-web.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 410
10W-40 Gear oil ?? This is definitely the wrong grade of oil for your bike, you could be doing serious harm to it.

You should be using a synthetic multigrade such as 75W90 to GL5 specification or better. This oil is not that expensive, especially compared to the price of a gearbox repair, glad to see you have ordered Silkolene, top stuff.

10W40 is much too thin a grade and probably cannot withstand the shear forces in the transmission. I suspect the noise you hear is due to the teeth loading in the gearbox through thrust. I doubt it will last much longer if you keep using 10W40, and may be suffering from advanced wear already, but lets hope not.

Please, for pitys sake, stop riding immediately, drain your gearbox oil and replace with the correct grade of lubricant. I hope the oil drained is clear and golden and not dirty and full of wear particles.

didn't know there was such a thing as 10/40 gear oil ?, also it doesn't say EP anywhere -

and why does it say motorcycle specific gear oil on the label - the only bikes that use specific gear oil are BMW and Guzzi -

i think it's the wrong oil .

i would say that oil is only suitable for engines that have a combined gearbox. ie most bike engines that have a wet clutch.
not BMWs as they need specific gear oil due to higher operating loads.

For stink wheels. Separate gearbox oil I'd say........oops

Its worth noting that the SAE standards for gear oil lubricity/viscosity are very different to the SAE standards for motor oil. As a rule of thumb, SAE90 gear oil is about the same viscosity as SAE50 engine oil.

In other words, the SAE 10W40 gear oil isn't even as thick as a 10W40 engine oil. Oh dear !!!!

10W40 is much too thin a grade and probably cannot withstand the shear forces in the transmission. I suspect the noise you hear is due to the teeth loading in the gearbox through thrust. I doubt it will last much longer if you keep using 10W40, and may be suffering from advanced wear already, but lets hope not.

How come japanese bikes - lets say GSXR1000, Hayabusa, etc manage to use the 10/40 engine oil as gearbox lubricating oil without too much bother , then ??

Pukmeister said:
Please, for pitys sake, stop riding immediately, drain your gearbox oil and replace with the correct grade of lubricant. I hope the oil drained is clear and golden and not dirty and full of wear particles.

Hey, this is Yosi we're talking about -

he strains the old oil and re-usues it anyway.
:shout

Any answers to the jap g'box question ?
Has yosi stuffed his 'box or is there nothing wrong ?

What makes a BM's gears and bearings different from jap ones ?? Answers please ?

Moto,
Well spotted; the viscocity (EP) is relevant probably because BMW use taper bearings running a preload.
Transmission oils in light applications, with the exception of hypoid and spiral bevels, do not see massive shear loads and so the lubricity of engine type oils is appropriate. As you quite rightly say, just about all of the Japanese bikes, but for reference many of the old Rootes boxes used engine oil. Just to finish off the viscocity myth, consider ATF as used in automobile automatic transmissions.
However, the gentleman should use the recommended oil without delay.

Its worth noting that the SAE standards for gear oil lubricity/viscosity are very different to the SAE standards for motor oil.

Unquote

You didn't read my above comment in my earlier posting then, no ???

10W40 engine oil is considerably thicker than 10W40 gear oil.

Steptoe said:
Hey, this is Yosi we're talking about -

he strains the old oil and re-usues it anyway.
:shout

At least I re-use my own oil. I wonder what you use for your customers> I can sell you cheap a couple of galons of my old oil. Still in pristine plastic containers. Look like new.

Replaced the oil last night with the recomended GL5 stuff. More expensive than champagne. The old (ish, only 4 weeks old) came out gold and pure, no metal bits, nothing. Even after straining the oil (as suggested by Steptoe) there were no signs of metal shavings or bits.
No wonder, because the eleven uses the same box from the R100GS that is known to be able to cross continents withouth oil. (ask Tiffany)

Yosi said:
No wonder, because the eleven uses the same box from the R100GS that is known to be able to cross continents withouth oil. (ask Tiffany)

Surely not? 50% increase in bhp, they also look very different to one another..............

Might share a couple of internal components at the most?

Steve Pickford said:
Surely not? 50% increase in bhp, they also look very different to one another..............

Might share a couple of internal components at the most?

TH eleven is an evolution of the 80/100Gs and uses many common components like gear box, bars, switch gear, clutch, final drive. The 100PD I used to have was producing 60HP. The eleven, at 85 is not 50% more powerfull . It seems the gear box and final drive can handle that and more since they are also used on 1100S sport bikes (and they do produce more than 50% more power!!)

Yosi said:
TH eleven is an evolution of the 80/100Gs and uses many common components like gear box, bars, switch gear, clutch, final drive. The 100PD I used to have was producing 60HP. The eleven, at 85 is not 50% more powerfull . It seems the gear box and final drive can handle that and more since they are also used on 1100S sport bikes (and they do produce more than 50% more power!!)

Similar switchgear aside, I doubt there are many other components between the 80/100GS & the 1100GS - very different bikes IMO. The 1100 & 1150 are far more similar.

What about suspension, frame, wheel, EFI, clocks, bodywork, seats, main engine block, Telelever etc.........

Back
Top Bottom