Which Model ?

luke scott

Reaction score
Sorry to do this guy's,
I need advice. We have just booked our summer holidays in France with the kids and I am not doing any driving this year without a GPS ! Which model will I buy? For the family holiday it will be in a car and then I hope to use it on the bike at some time. I want the all singing all dancing model please... it needs to talk to me. Finally when I get it and arrive at nice airport will it be difficult to use ? All comments will be appreciated.

Luke. :beerjug:

Luke

Look on the for sale board Darren has a new all singing and Dancing BMW GPS system for sale

speak to him I think? he used this model for his trip to ITALY
on his bike

Happy hunting :shoot:

Garmin Streetpilot III Deluxe will do everything you want, car & bike, talks to you in the car, talks to you via Autocom on the bike. Comes with everything you need except a Touratech handlebar mount (£50ish). There's one on Ebay now with a 'Buy it Now' sticker of £850 on it. It's a European base map model (important to check this) and comes with unlocked maps for the whole of Europe.

MikeO:)

Oi , be careful ! I've read numerous reports that the Streetpilot Deluxe can't pick up signal thru' certain car windscreens. Apparently some heated screens and others prevent the signal penetrating - just suggest you make sure before splashing out !

Pedro

It can pick it up through a Cavalier windscreen, mind you, it's not heated (in fact, it's not even clean:D). If this is a problem (anyone suffered from it?), you can buy a remote aerial at extra cost....

Pedro Cayuela said:
I've read numerous reports that the Streetpilot Deluxe can't pick up signal thru' certain car windscreens.

Absolutely true, but not limited to Garmin models. The satelites only transmit at about 50w - less power than a bike headlamp and they are thousands of miles up! Hardly surprising that the signal won't cut through heat reflective glass (as found on my SO's Peugeot 206, for example).

However, most of these windscreens have a small area (usually near the rear-view mirror) which does not have the heat reflective laminate. Use a remote Garmin aerial - about £20 from Garmin stockists.

:cool:

Greg

Heated screens

My SP3 works ok through a Ford Mondeo heated screen. A remote aerial only costs about £20 or there's "active" ones as well, if an inpowered remote doesn't work. I've used the SP3 only in the car and it's a fine bit of kit.

BTW I've BMW insurance and a locable Touratech mount but it's only insured if I have a crash and not if it's stolen??????

Re: Heated screens

John Armstrong said:
BTW I've BMW insurance and a locable Touratech mount but it's only insured if I have a crash and not if it's stolen??????

Interesting, John. I submitted a long list to my insurers detailing every change I've made to my bike, including the SPIII (which I fully expected to be excluded). They replied and only excluded my Autocom, my bike to bike radio and , rather bizarrely, the Ohlins :confused: . My insurers? BMW Equity Red Star.....

Lockable

I've yet to pluck up the courage to ask about other bits that have locks on ie panniers, top box, seats and the bike itself!

John,

just to re-assure you, my bike has been Tourateched & Wunderliched to within an inch of its life and the was NO increase in premium, nor any exclusions other than those listed above. I've banged on before about this; an insurance contract is one of good faith - tell them everything now - if they increase your premium (which they may well not), then at least you know you're covered. Sorting out the details of an injury accident with a substantial damages claim heading your way is not the time to find out that they're not going to cover you because you didn't tell them about that race can.....

Back
Top Bottom