OE or Pattern?

OE or pattern parts?

• Original equipment parts.

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • Pattern parts.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • Don`t know, dealer does it all.

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Make my own out of sticky back plastic & fairy bottles.

Votes: 4 12.5%

• Total voters

Gas'd Off

Reaction score
What do you buy for your bike servicing or repair? Original BMW parts or pattern and why?

Just fitted new front discs. Genuine BMW from Moto-Bins :thumb

Fairy bottles - presumably fully homo logated :mmmm

OK - I chose the fairy bottles and sticky back plastic option!!!

But it's important to realise the difference between "Pattern Parts" as in cheap junk made for profit not performance and "Pattern Parts" as in an alternative but with equal, or higher specification.

i.e. spark plugs, brake pads, tyres etc etc.

I either use OE spec or Higher spec "Pattern parts"

If I use pattern parts, they are always major manufacturers high spec stuff.

As an example - my pattern parts:-

K&N air filter
Champion EON plugs
Avon Azaro tyres
HEL brake lines
Ferodo Platinum pads
Hella 50% brighter headlamp bulbs (but 100% road legal officer - honest!)
Y-Piece (I think it's a sebring)
Oil- I use a non-branded SJ-rated 15W50 mineral fleet oil

They are all higher or equal spec to OE, but (usually) much cheaper.

Get my drift?

OE consumables are made by 'pattern part' manufacturers anyway because they can manufacture them cheaper and they are supposedly the speciallists in their field. I know that the OE brake pads I used to buy for my F650 were made by Brembo and stamped BMW.
If you buy quality 'pattern' parts you can often surpass OE quality. Just don't buy rubbish.
However, one benefit of buying things like OE pad kits is that you often also get replacement squeal shims, pins and circlips.

If BMW parts are so good, why is this forum so busy? :rolleyes:

Cheers those could be arsed to respond. Obviously not the most exiting poll then? A whole 12 people voted! Including me :doh At least it`s a good race between Fairy bottles & pattern :D

As the previous replies pont out it is important to discrinate between pattern and pirate.
BMW do not make wheel bearings or pistons brake pads or anything else, they accumalte these parts from the market leaders and assemble the product.
Use your common sense and buy reputable parts, be very nervous if your spares come in a plain box with no writing , or is mispelt, most likly to be an asian 'knock off' parts

I would vote is there was an "all of the above" option....
Using the noodle,you can find cheaper parts that work well.
I would only use original engine parts, for example, but pattern brake pads are ok.

pomm001 said:
As the previous replies pont out it is important to discrinate between pattern and pirate.
BMW do not make wheel bearings or pistons brake pads or anything else, they accumalte these parts from the market leaders and assemble the product.
Wasn't there some EU case or other that stopped manufacturers from preventing their suppliers from selling either direct or to other 'outlets'?

Isn't that why companies like German & Swedish can sell you the same parts that BMW, VW/Audi, Mercedes etc. will sell you but cheaper and just not in a box marked BMW Original Telle (or whatever it says)?

Often these parts are marked with VW/Audi or whatever logo's and are exactly the same as sold by the Franchised dealers, just in plain box.

Sea Lion said:
OE consumables are made by 'pattern part' manufacturers anyway because they can manufacture them cheaper and they are supposedly the speciallists in their field. I know that the OE brake pads I used to buy for my F650 were made by Brembo and stamped BMW.
If you buy quality 'pattern' parts you can often surpass OE quality. Just don't buy rubbish.
However, one benefit of buying things like OE pad kits is that you often also get replacement squeal shims, pins and circlips.

If BMW parts are so good, why is this forum so busy? :rolleyes:

what he said. didn't vote as i'd need a "mix" option.

i never buy much from bmw franchise if that's any help.

MikeP said:
Wasn't there some EU case or other that stopped manufacturers from preventing their suppliers from selling either direct or to other 'outlets'?

Isn't that why companies like German & Swedish can sell you the same parts that BMW, VW/Audi, Mercedes etc. will sell you but cheaper and just not in a box marked BMW Original Telle (or whatever it says)?

Often these parts are marked with VW/Audi or whatever logo's and are exactly the same as sold by the Franchised dealers, just in plain box.

In general the manufactures of the OE equipment is not allowed to sell the same goods in the same market place,its an agreement in terms of the business, ie the head gasket manufacturer cannot for instance supply a motor factors with the same part as he supplies to the OE .
Main reason is 'intelectual property' if the OE owns the design and buys the tooling and manufacturing plant particular to that part along with all the R&D costs, thats why he has his logo stamped on the part
( which is general for engine and cycle parts ) the manufacturer of that part cannot use the OE's tools to produce parts for other markets.
If they do they wont be in business for very long, especially if the OE is selling the part through his dealer network for £30 when his cost is say £3.00
the last thing he wants is to be undercut on price on parts of his own tool after he has paid for all the development and R&D
Some parts fall into 'public domain' after a few years and i belive can be 'copied' without legal rescourse from the OE.
Obviuosly some parts fall outside of this,such as tyres and some consumables , filters and plugs
:beer:

Pattern for everythting because get them at wholesale price as a long standing favour from an ex customer

Back
Top Bottom