Anita Says Hi, At Last..........

bansang

Hi to you all from Anita Smith, founder of the Bansang Hospital Appeal.

I honestly think that you must be a truly great bunch of guys though. What you're proposing will unquestionably be a huge step in the right direction for health care delivery in this remote area. Key members of staff will find the scooters invaluable.

Apologies for this brief first comment on your excellent notice board but things are rather hectic at the moment as I have the hospital adminstrator staying with me and my family for his first visit to the UK. Since his arrival 10 days ago I have hardly had the chance to even sleep.

The most urgently needed items are of course medications and pharmaceuticals. Antibiotics, anti retro virals, ampicillin, cloxacillin, benzyl, penicillin, antibacterial treatments, antifungal. Clearly if any one has a contact I can be very much more specific, just let me know.

Bansang is a very low tech hospital and so all equipment requiring high maintenance is definitely out. The most urgent needs are always the every day disposable items, such as needles, syringes, disposable gloves, x-ray film, cannulas, dressings.

Any form of lighting for staff ie. torches, solar powered lights, lights that recharge from the mains.

Generators are always desperately needed and are frquently used for emergency back up when the mains power is off, which is frequently, 2.5kva are perfect. Suction machines are another urgently required item.

Have just put the phone down after speaking to Dr Annabel Kerr, who is devoting the next 2 years of her life to the hospital commencing in September. Clive and Daz will vouch for her peanut porridge so clearly their will be a desperate need for plenty of oats for those that want to visit the hospital and sample her speciallity.

Luxury items are also needed such as TV's and Videos but they have to be relatively new as old equipment soon fails in the extreme weather conditions in Bansang. This sort of equipment would either be used on the wards or in the staff accommodation block. Another highly prized and much needed item are mobile phones, once again for staff use. A Africell or gamcell sim card costs D500 about £10.

It is so difficult creating a wish list but perhaps it would be best to see what you guys make of the above suggestions. However if you have ideas of your own please let me know.

Once again thanks for your interest in my work and your intention to help the wonderful people of the Gambia, we all appreciate everything you are doing.

http://www.bansanghospitalappeal.com
anita@bansanghospitalappeal.com

Speak again when I have another free moment.

Anita :sunshine

Good of you to visit Anita, we've been hearing about your excellent work out there... :thumb

dental/medical bits

HI Anita as Bill said earlier welcome aboard. I am in the Dental business (I run a small private dental lab) and I was wondering what you would be needing in the dental field as I have a fair few contacts in the equipment and supplies companies. I know that a lot of things can also be used in the rest of the hospital as well. if you can provide me with a good long list of specific items ie; what size x-ray films, what drugs and dosages etc, I will see what I can drum up. I shall be going to the dental trade exhibition in october armed with details of our trip and its aims and will scrounge as much stuff as possible. will also try local dentists for any instruments they wish to send along. an idea of what types would be a help. if you need to speak to me I'm on 07932916775.

cheers for now

hi, Annabel here.
Anita's been telling me what you're all up to. i don't particularly relish the 200 miles from the coast up to bansang so am impressed by you making it through the Sahara. i don't know if my peanut porridge will live up to expectations, don't get your hopes up!

Jez, i'll be there in a few weeks and will see what the state of pharmacy is like and various other things. when are you leaving here and when should i start stockpiling peanuts? i'll let you know as soon as i can what's needed, via text or email if it's working out there.

look forward to meeting you all.

Annabel

Anita mentioned your peanut porridge the other day as well Annabel....I'm intrigued :yikes

(and it will be good after the roast goat that the others don't know yet that we'll have been eating for the previous week ;) )

We're leaving the UK on the 28th Dec and should be arriving at the hospital around the 18th-19th Jan if the calculations are right.....we'll obviously keep in touch before then though and if that estimate changes you'll be the first to know.

We've got an offer of a bunch of mobile phones and chargers to bring out, and I know from my PM's today that there are other things being looked into now we have a more detailed list from Anita........

We could also really do with knowing what is wrong with the Bupa ambulance so that between us and the Bupa teams who actually brought it out, we can obtain the parts and bring them out......plus if we know what the problem is, no promises but we'll do our damndest to fix it and get it on the road for you while we're there...that would really cap it as a successfull expedition I reckon :thumb

I know everyone's keen to see any photos of recent developments out there...Paul (the site owner) has kindly made you an honorary sponsor so that you can post pics one by one, or by all means email anything to me at bill.oates*at*ntlworld.com and i'll stick them all on my smugmug account and post them here on your behalf.

I'm really glad you have joined us...it gives us all a focus and makes it all 'real'...and we're all looking forwards to meeting you and the rest of the staff out at Bansang.

Warmest regards
Bill & the rest of the TITS.
:thumb :bounce1

Hi Anita

I have mentioned elsewhere on this site that I maybe able to help with medical equipment, though it may not be appropriate.

I could possibly get Anaethestic machines which would require either pin index cylinders to work or pipeline gas and possibly patient monitors.

if you could let me know if this "sort" of kit is appropriate or not, I'll see what I can do but I can't promise anything.

cheers

Back
Top Bottom