WORLD LAUNCH...SORT OF...

Nippy Norman

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Received this info from CW - quite amusing...

"I guess it's time to tell you about the world launch of the much-vaunted BMW HP2 Enduro bike, which is scheduled for Saturday 10th September. Problem is, BMW have told us UK BMW dealers that we won't be getting any display or demonstrator models of these bikes, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to how we are going to launch it. Maybe they will send us a cardboard cut-out, perhaps. In any case I copy below a Press Release received yesterday from BMW about the launch and the bike, but remember, you will be unlikely to see one in the showroom unless it is one of the couple that we have already taken customer-orders for, though I should think that they will be in and out pretty quickly. Here's the Press Release:

New BMW HP2 enduro - the wait is nearly over

Only the world's top professional enduro riders and selected motorcycle journalists have had the opportunity to experience the world's most powerful twin-cylinder enduro motorcycle on the trail, and to this day, off-road enthusiasts have only been able to read about it in the motorcycle press. However, BMW's new HP2 (High Performance 2-cylinder) enduro machine is just weeks away from being officially launched across the entire Motorrad UK dealer network on Saturday 10 September.

Dealerships across the country are gearing up for a day of HP2 excitement as BMW's unique off-road boxer twin takes centre stage in showrooms. Following a successful international press launch at the AltoTuria Enduro Park in Spain earlier this summer, the launch will be the first chance for dirt-riding enthusiasts in the UK to try BMW's powerful and innovative enduro machine for size.

Showroom doors will be wide-open and visitors will be able to see the new HP2 in the metal, as well as watch exciting footage of the HP2 in action at race-events around Europe. Customers will also be able to take away the latest issue of BMW Bikes magazine, featuring an in-depth review of the HP2 model launch, as well as a special 25 years of the GS supplement.

As an added-value incentive, all riders who purchase the new HP2 from any BMW Motorrad UK dealership in 2005 will automatically receive a unique off-road HP2 experience which includes a day's off-road training at BMW's Off-Road School in Wales directed by 6-times Dakar rally competitor Simon Pavey, as well as dinner and overnight accommodation.

Weighing only 175kg dry (24kg less than the R1200 GS) and featuring an increased power output of 105 bhp, the HP2 is packed with innovations such as the world's first motorcycle spring/damper system running exclusively on air. Production volumes of the HP2 will remain relatively low, making this a truly exclusive motorcycle for enthusiasts who want a road-legal motorcycle with incredible off-road potential.

The new BMW HP2 will be available at all BMW Motorrad dealerships from Saturday 10 September priced at £11,995 on the road. This price includes a standard two-year unlimited mileage warranty."

So there it is, I think it's a question of the left hand not being entirely co-ordinated with the right hand.

Cheers
Nippy

HP 1

Any plans for a HP1? Now that should be the ultimate off roader.

I'm thinking a KTM 640 adventure competitor, or maybe if it's that good, a KTM rallye?

Any thoughts or rumours?

Prime!!

It's nice to know I'm not alone in thinking launching the HP2 is a waste of time - the bike has sold itself either by it's technology or it's exclusivity and I don't think tea and doughnuts in a dealership is going to magic any more out of the ether.

Maybe they're planning on building more than first suggested :nenau

Come on now ... do try to be a bit more positive ... this bike is going to be the biggest pile of mental on the market ... I can't bloody wait ... sod what the journalist say about it being neither here nor there ... its gonna be a hoot and make no mistake ...

Look at the pictures ... look at the spec ... how can that not be hilarious to ride?...

Valencia

My buddy, who happens to sell BMWs is going to the launch in Valencia, 1-3rd september....jammy fugger!!!
Will post any pics i can.
Goose

Ste@SSB said:
Come on now ... do try to be a bit more positive ... this bike is going to be the biggest pile of mental on the market ... I can't bloody wait ... sod what the journalist say about it being neither here nor there ... its gonna be a hoot and make no mistake ...

Look at the pictures ... look at the spec ... how can that not be hilarious to ride?...

Oh don't get me wrong ... I think the bike looks fantastic and appears to deliver what the packaging promises - but why launch a bike that has already sold out?

Especially if anyone going to a launch can't see it in the flesh :)

PL2_and_a_half said:
Especially if anyone going to a launch can't see it in the flesh :)

My understanding is that you will be able to see it in the flesh ... possibly even caress its knobbly bits ... and maybe even touch its nether regions ...

But anyway ... as I said before ... its not made of flesh ... its made of mental.

HP2 - been there, done that - not got the T- shirt

Ste@SSB said:
My understanding is that you will be able to see it in the flesh ... possibly even caress its knobbly bits ... and maybe even touch its nether regions ...

But anyway ... as I said before ... its not made of flesh ... its made of mental.

If you went to Garmisch, like us lot..............you could touch, climb all over,drool, bounce up and down on the suspenders, sit on the works bikes,listen to the full Akrapovic systems on the works bikes, watch the Motorrad Enduro team - ride and jump the bloody things, fiddle with the bikes etc

This is a pic of a REAL HP2, with the engine RUNNING and Rider (US Team Rider - Jimmy Lewis) aboard - 3ft from the end of my camera.'
IT IS NOT A CARDBOARD CUT OUT'

So the UK launch with a cardboard cut-out will be pointless and a let down

Seems like BMW UK...........are mounting a somewhat cheapskate HP2 launch, compared to their German holding company.............

Nice in those colours.... That's not Jimmy Lewis the ex windsurfer/surfer and all round 'water- man'? A man of the same name used to be a fin/board designer? They all like their extreme sports, and a lot of them find excitement in off roading when the surfs not up...

JohnnyBoxer said:
Seems like BMW UK...........are mounting a somewhat cheapskate HP2 launch, compared to their German holding company.............

I will have you know that we will be buying 3 ... yes 3 bags of crisps this year ... and I may even fill the coffee machine ... maybe ...

Disclaimer ... coffee machine and crisps in basement ... basement not open to public...

Ste@SSB said:
I will have you know that we will be buying 3 ... yes 3 bags of crisps this year ... and I may even fill the coffee machine ... maybe ...

Disclaimer ... coffee machine and crisps in basement ... basement not open to public...

Aimed at the Bracknell boys..............not the dealer network........as always you can only work with what you're given, Steve - which in this case seems.....not a lot !!

Gilson said:
Any plans for a HP1? Now that should be the ultimate off roader.

I'm thinking a KTM 640 adventure competitor, or maybe if it's that good, a KTM rallye?

Any thoughts or rumours?

Prime!!

Can you imagine the HP4 version of the K1200S? That'd get round the 'Ring in no time at all :D

Practicality (and dosh) mean I couldn't, even if I could get hold of one.

But it looks absolutely stunning. Write-up in September's MSL very positive. Having seen how the 1200GS goes through serious dirt in the right hands I can just imagine what this would be like.

Merlings: Enjoy :spitfire

Back
Top Bottom