Speed cameras as GPS waypoints

Gecko

Reaction score
I was with someone recently who has a Pioneer GPS in his car. Every time he appoached a fixed speed camera it was marked as a waypoint and gave a visual and audible alert that he was approaching the speed trap. Does anyone have any similar waypoint information for Garmin GPS units ?

Although this was in Belgium his system also worked in Holland and Germany. Less in the last two countries but I guess it was just a question of getting hold of the local information and installing the waypoints.

How about it ? If we all begin listing the local fixed speed cameras in our respective areas as waypoints , we should build up a veritable mass of information before too long. Could be worthwhile ....not that I ever drive above the speedlimit of course.

:beer:

It's a very nice idea, BUT, sorry to spoil the party, but with the amount of the bloody things in this country, my GPS would not have enough waypoint capacity!!!!

My SPIII holds 500 waypoints, so I can load quite an area. I don't know about the other types, I suppose some are more limited. Still, no need to carry them all around all the time...

What I do miss is an audible prompt when approaching one of the scenic areas... That's something other Garmins do have.

Speed Waypoints

These are the locations I posted some time ago, but no prompts or audio warnings.

cheers

Gerry H.

Attachments

• waypointspeeduk.mps
    35.6 KB · Views: 58
Speed Waypoints Scotland

as above for Scotland.

Gerry

Attachments

• wpt.spd.scotland.mps
    4.2 KB · Views: 44
MiGSel said:

What I do miss is an audible prompt when approaching one of the scenic areas...

Am I missing the point here, but why would anyone need an audible prompt, surely if your eyes are open it's the sort of thing you would notice for yourself.
Tim

timolgra said:
Am I missing the point here, but why would anyone need an audible prompt, surely if your eyes are open it's the sort of thing you would notice for yourself.
Tim

Possibly, hearing is one sense that isn't being used that much eg avoiding cars / lorries etc so if an under used sense can help............ Much like the voice prompts for turns etc.

Ok I accept that, as it has been a concern of mine that a GPS could also cause visual distraction. I know it's quite obvious not to look at the screen halfway through a roundabout but the temptation may always be there.
Tim

timolgra said:
Ok I accept that, as it has been a concern of mine that a GPS could also cause visual distraction. I know it's quite obvious not to look at the screen halfway through a roundabout but the temptation may always be there.
Tim

Tim, I don't know if you've used a SPIII, but it gives you a prompt a mile or so before a roundabout on an A road (obviously less around town), and displays a graphic plan of the r/b and your route, it also tells you which exit. At some time on the approach, a brief glance at the display should be enough (it is for me) to clearly identify the route required. I've never felt distracted by the display or the prompts.

Just my £0.02

MikeO:)

Mike, I'm in denial. I love maps and have a great interest in all forms of navigation. Been at sea for 6months, travelled across parts of Antarctica using a compass and hand drawn maps, love mountain navigation and travel in general. But also enjoy not using maps at all and travelling by instinct or using the sun etc.

I'm also a luddite, as if you hadn't guessed, but have been using basic GPS systems for a few years to supplement other navigational tools and know it is only a matter of time and finances that prevent me from getting one of these new fangled toys. The more I hear about them, the more my Visa card sweats, but hope I can hold out for a while yet.
I just know you will smile if one day I post in the 'Wanted' section SPIII please.
Tim:)

Tim, despite how great the GPS may be I still always have a map with me.....cuase you just know something will break when you need it the most - the map is always in the panniers.....:beer:

Re: Speed Waypoints Scotland

Cheers Gerry - I am planning to get over to Scotland this summer so this will be most appreciated.....not that I ever ride above the speed limit of course :D

MiGSel said:
Here's some useful files!

UK cameras

Belgian and a few Dutch cameras

By the way, I don't know how exact the locations are, I haven't recorded these all on my own, as I never ride too fast myself! :D

Good luck :angel

MiGSel,
I tried to look at your attachments but I got a message saying I can't open the file because it's a different version of Mapsource than I have. I run Mapsource 4.05 with a Garmin V - what file format is the one you have attached ?
:confused:

MiGSel said:
It's MapSource 4.11.

Go >> here << for a free update of you 4.xx

Good luck,
Michel

Cheers Michel - now have the 4.11 installed and thanks to you lots of waypoint Belgium speed cameras uploaded.
Many thanks
Ride Safe

The Gecko
(Lost in Belgium)

Hey Gecko,
Did you check your SPIII firmware too, while you were there? Current version is 2.40. Worth upgrading if you'd still have 2.08 or so. You can now add via points, among other things.
By the way, where abouts are you in Lier? My wife is from there and so I go to Lier every now and then. Not too often, heheh ;)

MiGSel said:
Hey Gecko,
Did you check your SPIII firmware too, while you were there? Current version is 2.40. Worth upgrading if you'd still have 2.08 or so. You can now add via points, among other things.
By the way, where abouts are you in Lier? My wife is from there and so I go to Lier every now and then. Not too often, heheh ;)

Hi Michel
No I haven't checked that out - is it for use with the GPS V ? What does it do that mapsource doesn't do ?

I am actually just outside Lier in Berlaar but no one had ever heard of that so Lier is close enough ;)

Cheers
The Gecko
(Lost in Belgium)

Back
Top Bottom