BMW/Schalber f650 genuine rally bike enyone

dibdob69

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ive been offered one of these ,could someone please tell me how much something like this is worth,it was built to compete in the paris to dakar rally in 2003 but was not entered in the end

. They basically take a new BMWF650 GS Dakar, then strip all the non-competition parts off it and rebuild with all Rallye enduro spec equipment. The engine/gearbox I believe is basically left standard, as they don't want to lose the reliability of the engine for rally’s.

I do think that the engine has been back to BMW/Schalber in Germany for prep though, but have been told that the only thing they do performance wise is to gas-flow the head, and then rebuild and blueprint the engine. All the standard service parts you can get through any dealer, I have a new filters/plugs to go with it. I changed the cush drive for the MoT, but apart from that the bike is in fantastic condition. It has only done about 1400 miles, while the original owner was running it in. All the equipment is like new, and it hasn't been out in the rain since I have had it. I have the original Titanium Silencer, but have a replacement road legal one for general use. It comes with road-book and Rallye computer, and power connection for GPS; it has 5 petrol tanks and holds enough fuel for approx500 miles, which I believe is a Dakar requirement. In general the Rallye kit is of outstanding quality as most attachments are either aircraft spec or manufactured from solid aluminium billets. All the old stuff that was taken off to build the bike I don't have as I think the guy who had the bike built, sold them to try and recoup some of his 22K.

Performance wise, the bike is fast for a single 650, it keeps on revving and pulling all the way past legal speeds, and it sounds really nice once spinning even with the road legal pipe. The tyres are brand new, and if wanted you can have the desserts that come with it, but they are a little bit squared off.

All the details of the kit are on www.touratech.co.uk, but to set up properly I can see why the guy got professionals to prepare for him.

I can photo anything extra you want to look at, just say.

Spec is as follows:

- White power competition rear shock
- White power fork competition upside down Forks
- Yokes and Calliper support
- Half-shaft
- Handlebar clamps for Magura Pro-Taper handlebars
- Braided steel front brake line
- Fork protectors USD
- Excel 21" front wheel with MICHELIN Desert tyre
- Excel 18" rear wheel with MICHELIN Desert tyre
- Front mudguard
- QD couplings for fuel lines
- RK chain (Rallye) (OK but prob only for approx 2000M)
- Aluminium sprocket
- Aluminium chain guard
- Tank kit with a total volume of 53 litres
- Left front tank (Polyamide 6)
- Right front tank (Polyamide 6)
- Central tank (XPE)
- Rear tank (Polyamide 6)
- Tank cover
- Magura handlebars
- Hand protectors
- Cockpit and Bracket
- IMO-100R50rallye Computer
- Roadbook (Backlit Electronic with handlebar controls)
- Handlebar controls for IMO and RB-TT (FB-Rallye 5)
- Rear sport subframe
- Fairing
- Fairing support
- Side panels
- Number plate base
- Flexible mini indicators
- Oil cooler
- Twin headlights
- Headlight Cover
- Frame cradle for more ground clearance
- Side stand conversion kit
- Sump guard holder
- Sport seat (DZUS missing, not a problem as I close with Shockcord)
- Rear titanium silencer with bracket.
- Road legal Silencer.
- Modified original manifold
- Shortened engine support
- Footpeg mounts incl. brake and gear lever and larger footpegs

Attachments

• Front2005.jpg
    Front2005.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 11,128
  • GSRallye2005.jpg
    GSRallye2005.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 9,544
Wow! That's one very nice bike!!

remember though you can hardly take any luggage with you on that bike. What it's worth? Well, ehh, it all depends on question and demand I'm afraid. Those who really appreciate a bike like this will reckon it's worth a lot. Those who only see it as a customized F650 won't.

On the other hand, deprication on a bike like that is very high. What is the seller asking? Somewhere between 7 and 9 big ones?

Touratech list the complete conversion as £7,500.

Add to that the original bike cost.

Minus the original parts that are no longer with the bike.

As it has no competition history I'd be prepared to pay no more than what the TT conversion costs on the basis that if the parts were sold separately they'd not fetch half their original costs (bike or conversion). I think the seller will have to write-off the labour costs.

I was looking for about 6k, l'm going to have a look later in the week but if l do get it l don't think l will be keeping it as its a bit over the top for the stuff l want to do, l will probably get any way

So you're saying you'll propably buy it, but you won't keep it? I dunno understand. Why buy then?

That bikes done way more than 1400 miles as it went to Morocco with me in May 2004. I was offered the bike for £4500 but I declined. Oh yeh, I fixed it in southern Spain when the fuel pump broke and again in Fes when there was an electrical problem.

Definately the same bike, as if you look carefully, they spelt "Motorcycycles" wrong :D

Nice bike though!

group.jpg

Dune_riding.jpg

On the phone to Plumie, "Nick, what do I do now!"
On_phone_to_Plumie.jpg

Good Call.........Blue Sweeper

A close friend of mine, recently sold his TT Rallye equipped Dakar - same sort of treatment to a 2001 Dakar 650 - only he didn't have the rear Rally Tanks, just the normal F650 rack, coupled to a TT seat.
Apart from that it was similar - full WP et al...............he got a price somewhere between £3500 and £4000

They are worth, nowhere near what they cost to build in terms of price of the TT bits or the labour.

£4500-£5000 tops

Attachments

• TT Dakar Right Side_WEB.jpg
    TT Dakar Right Side_WEB.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 4,795
difficult to say how much these things are worth,
i agree with jb,
seem to sell for a lot less than they have had spent on them.
this was advertised last year and ended up on ebay .the prev owner sometimes visits this site ;)
you don't say how much it has been offered for>
as Max says,you sound like you are going to buy it then sell it :confused:
let me know if you are selling some bits off it :)

Back
Top Bottom