Mounting Bracket for 1150 ADV

slystewart

Have a Garmin 2610 and would like to mount it on the bike have seen the Tourateck mounts only in pictures...look well made but pricey are they worth the money...are there others that look as good any help on this Stewart

I'm currently using the Touratech mount for my 2610, plain vanilla one (no lock, not extra anti-vibe one). Like all Touratech's GPS mounts they are a work of art and if cross brace is your mounting place of choice then it should get consideration.

However it does have a MAJOR drawback in that the metal closure bracket which clamps the top of the GPSR unit also obsures the internal antenna and compared to every other mount and loaction I have tried, miGSel Mount, RAM Mount and Garmin Cradle, the reception suffers a lot, really requiring an additional external aerial.

For line of sight the miGSel (for 11XX) cannot be beaten or the Motorrad Concepts for the 1200. I normally use a miGSel 1150 mount on a short RAM arm with a Garmin cradle, which having an additional locking screw gives me more confidence the GPSR and cradle are not going to fall out with each other on the road.

Stewart:

I use the Garmin mount for my GPSR's (2650 and now a 2720 that I am testing), and have never had any problems with it at all. I have been using this mount for over 2 years, and was involved in the testing of the original design.

I have a Honda ST1100 - which might not be subject to the same shocks as a dual sport bike - but, my bike has toppled over a few times, and the GPSR has never come off. I now have well over 30,000 miles on this Garmin bracket, and it is still 'good as new'.

I think that the Garmin bracket has several advantages: 1) It's low key, it doesn't scream out that you have a GPSR in your pannier if you have removed the GPSR from it. 2) It comes with an outdoor spec, motorcycle oil and grease proof power cable included, and 3) it's cheap - $50 with a cable and screws, $20 for the bracket by itself. It has a 'security screw' on the top of it that is designed to keep honest people honest - in other words, it will prevent someone from removing the GPSR without causing a fuss, but it won't deter a crowbar. The bolt holes on the Garmin bracket are designed to fit a RAM backing plate perfectly.

Below is a picture of my installation. As for the mount itself, there is more information about it at this link: Garmin 26xx - 27xx motorcycle mounting bracket

Michael

Michael_Moto_GPSR.jpg

Back
Top Bottom