Germany/Austria/Italy/Switzerland run

Alte Wolf

Reaction score
First of all apologies to mein kameraden for being a bit late with this post, espec Ronnie, Liam (now of 1200gs fame), PW Cymru, Neil, Rian, Joe, meine Brüder et al 

Well on then, … me and Herr Klinger decided to visit a few sites in Germany, Austria, Italy and Switzerland. This is just a few photos and pics of the trip, emphasis on pics as opposed to narrative.

We traveled from Belfast to Stranraer then on to ‘cutemorej’s place in Selkirk where we enjoyed home made soup de maison. I have to say I was more than pleasantly surprised by the road from Moffat to Selkirk! Bit of an untold secret.

We arrived at Newcastle Ferry Terminal DFDS late afternoon Friday and boarded The Queen of Scandinavia.

1.jpg

After a painless all be it crowded ‘tie down’ for the bikes

1a.jpg

I checked out my cabin. Pretty roomy for moi, think it was a cabin for 4

1b.jpg

We enjoyed a superb buffet meal and some entertainment on what turned out to be a very smooth crossing to Ijmuiden. We visited Arnhem and then took the A3 south to the start of the Romatischer Strasse in Northern Bavaria

1c.jpg

Having studied the map I decided to avoid Wurzburg as it was a major city and try instead to find accommodation in a place called Tauberbishofsheim. This was at the start of the Romantic road but looked smaller and from the maps at any rate and with what little I could glean from the web appeared to be quite picturesque… it was, some piccys. We stayed here at the Badischer Hof 45euros single with breakfast with Matthias Derr und Familie

2a.jpg

2b.jpg

Matthias had an Guzzi which he had owned for 30 years his family had owned and run the Hotel for 170 years. He made sure our bikes were safely parked in his garage before we all turned in for the night.

2b1.jpg

2b2.jpg

This was abend essen courtesy of Matthais (Filet Steak)

2g.jpg

OK on to pics of Tauberbishofsheim, here we go …

2c.jpg

2d.jpg

2e.jpg

2f.jpg

Next morning we headed off early in dry weather for Garmisch Partenkirchen on the Romantischer Strasse.

3b.jpg

3c.jpg

3d.jpg

3e.jpg

I have to say that I was a little disappointed with the Romantischer Strasse, it certainly had very scenic stretches but there were also many stretches of unscenic A road.

Garmisch Partenkirchen and the surrounding area however surpassed my expectations… can’t wait to return.

Stayed in the Hotel Bavaria Very quaint traditional family run hotel. Again covered parking out back for bikes.

4a.jpg

Its not often Herr Klinger gets so close to a beautiful Fraulein but he surpassed himself this time. Garmisch really has everything for the marauding GSer!

4c.jpg

OK folks enough words we did the Zugspitze, highest mountain in Germany and Neuschwanstein Castle. Some pics …

4d.jpg

4e.jpg

4f.jpg

4f1.jpg

4g.jpg

4h.jpg

4i.jpg

4j.jpg

After all that mountain climbing we felt we were entitled to a little food so we treated ourselves to this load!

4k.jpg

Spotted this lovely little cabrio parked on the street in Garmisch.

4l.jpg

Those Garmisch boys like their toys!

4m.jpg

Couple of Street shots,

4n.jpg

Sunday evening Bavarian Family in traditional dress,

4o.jpg

Neuschwanstein

8b.jpg

Well after 2 entertaining days at Garmisch we headed to Brechtesgaden along the Deutsches Alpine route.

5.jpg

This was a great ride almost all of the way with ace roads and great scenery. On arriving in the centre of Brechtesgaden Genny (GPS) announced “arriving at destination on left”. I looked left and saw this hotel. Watzmann

5a.jpg

Thinking you’ll do me, I walked in and spoke to Heinrich the owner and got two rooms for 30 euro each B & B. Heinrich was quick to tell us about the Kehlstein Haus and most important the Rossfeld Strasse. He was most insistent that we try this ultimate biking road as he described it… he wasn’t wrong! Some pics;

The map below shows the route which can be traveled in a circular fashion going either way. We went through Oberau to the top and back down towards Obersalzburg.

5b.jpg

This is the view from the top, the Kehlstein Haus can be seen more or less just above the baldy head.

5c1.jpg

OK we went from Obersalzburg in the coach to the Kehlstein carpark, this road was an amazing bit of engineering built by 2500 stressed Austrians in about 13 months.

Enough words here are some of the pics.

The tunnel in to Der Fuhrers lift

6b.jpg

The lift,

6d.jpg

Serious door hinge

6c.jpg

Lift entrance

6e.jpg

Roof … Austrian stone masons handiwork

6f.jpg

Lunch on the terrace

6g1.jpg

6h.jpg

6i.jpg

6j.jpg

6k.jpg

6m.jpg

6n.jpg

6o.jpg

6p.jpg

6q.jpg

Wee flower on the Kehlstein

6r.jpg

Took some pics of Brechtesgaden for your dissection including the memorial to all the local soldiers killed in two world wars.

7b.jpg

7c.jpg

7d.jpg

7e.jpg

7f.jpg

7g.jpg

7h.jpg

7h1.jpg

6g.jpg

7i.jpg

7j.jpg

7k.jpg

After a very comfortable night in the Watzmann we headed south into Austria as we wanted to do some of the famous passes we heard so much about.

This was the route we took from Brechtesgaden to Moos in Italy.

9.jpg

The first 3 pics are the Grossglockner Pass and if you haven’t done it yet I would recommend you do it before you get much older.

9b.jpg

9c.jpg

9d.jpg

This is the beautiful village of Heiligenblut Just below the mighty Grossglockner.

9e.jpg

The following 3 pics are of the Timmelsjoch my favourite pass of the trip. The road and views were simply awesome, as usual the photos dont do it justice.

9e1.jpg

9e2.jpg

9e3.jpg

From the top we descended into Italy to stay in a quaint little town called Moos. We were joined here by some biking kameraden from Berlin and had a good nights crack with them.

9e3a.jpg

From Moos we wanted to travel over the Stelvio, Oberalp, Brenner and meet Bro 3 on top of the Furkha in Switzerland. From here we wanted to do the Grimsel finishing up in Grindelwald for the night. Here’s the pics starting with the Stelvio

9f.jpg

9f1.jpg

The arrival of Herr Klinger at the top of the Stelvio bottom left.

9j.jpg

The other warty side of the Stelvio

9i.jpg

The Oberalp Pass heading towards Andermatt.

10b.jpg

The top of the Furkha Pass Switzerland.

10c.jpg

Looking down the Furkha and up towards the Grimsel.

10d.jpg

Looking back up towards the Furkha glacier from the wee Kirk at the bottom.

10e.jpg

From here we traveled to Grindelwald and booked in on spec to this humble abode … the Hotel Alte Post 60 Swiss Francs B & B.

11.jpg

Just across the road was the Cafe C und M

11b.jpg

where we had to endure such hardships as this,

11c.jpg

and this,

11d.jpg

Its tuff this motorcycle touring lark!
Needless to say we had a comfortable night here and traveled north next day through the Black Forest to Simmerath in the Eifel region of NW Germany for one last overnight before catching the ferry at Ijmuiden again.

This was the Post Hotel Simmerath, 24 euros spotlessly clean and a good wholesome breakfast to boot.

12.jpg

Wee pic in the breakfast room.

12a.jpg

Well now that I’ve put you all to sleep I guess I’d better turn in too. Hope you enjoyed some of the pics anyway.

Thanks Mr Wolf. A great series of photies ............................. and guess what..... Im away to there next Friday. Im aw excited. Hope you havn't pinched all the good weather. Ive been looking at the Grosslockner web cam today. All you can see is mist and rain.
Im going to have to borrow a better camera, so I can compete in the photo stakes. The standard is getting difficult to beat, might have to get naked on a alp !

First post Alte.
Unfortunately just checked this out before arms of Morpheus
Great pics
Similar route on 1 Sept hope to take some of Ardglass sunday crew on similar passes....need some co ordinates.(not only GS but Garmin 2610.....when I can wire!)
Am hoping to extend my solo trip down to Croatia
Will try to contact u for debrief session .........how best to do that?

Liam

Some excellent pics there Alte - looks like it was a great trip... :)

Den said:
Thanks Mr Wolf. A great series of photies ............................. and guess what..... Im away to there next Friday. Im aw excited. Hope you havn't pinched all the good weather. Ive been looking at the Grosslockner web cam today. All you can see is mist and rain.
Im going to have to borrow a better camera, so I can compete in the photo stakes. The standard is getting difficult to beat, might have to get naked on a alp !

Thanks, have a great trip Den. Be careful you dont catch a chill though :eek :)

eclectic said:
First post Alte.
Unfortunately just checked this out before arms of Morpheus
Great pics
Similar route on 1 Sept hope to take some of Ardglass sunday crew on similar passes....need some co ordinates.(not only GS but Garmin 2610.....when I can wire!)
Am hoping to extend my solo trip down to Croatia
Will try to contact u for debrief session .........how best to do that?

Liam

Thanks and Welcome aboard Liam, hope you and the boys have a ball in europe. No probs re coordinates, you can get me anytime email deano at ukgser dot com :thumb

Mermoto Nadeem

Thanks, yes it was a great run, only problem now is getting the 'Brownie Points' high enough with SWMBO to get away again next year :( :D

Alte,

Your pix are fantastic and well worth the wait. You've given me more ammo to sit and pine over waiting for next summer...

...I really must get one of them Sony jobbies :)

Brilliant presentation.

:clap
Ronno

Deano,

I know it's a Canon that you use. My mistake on previous post!

Ronno :thumb

Ronno said:
Deano,

I know it's a Canon that you use. My mistake on previous post!

Ronno :thumb

Glad you enjoyed Ronno, we'll have to organise the 'Schnapps RV' a bit better the next time we're in D. My round first ... OK :thumb

Oh man, that looks awesome!

Fantastic pictures.

I just may have to make my way out there in the very near future!

:beerjug:

Hi Deano
Those pics have got the juices flowing,well done really great.
Liam and his newly acquired 2610 are taking us the same route(hopefully)starting 1/9.
Perhaps c u Ardglass for a chat before we depart
harry

Harry, might see you on the road. Or probably at the side of the road taking snaps ..... or schnaps!. If you see a graphitan 1150 with jock flag, with a handsome rider and georgous pillion, that'll be us. Gis a wave.

Alte Wolf said:
Having studied the map I decided to avoid Wurzburg as it was a major city

I have to say that I was a little disappointed with the Romantischer Strasse, it certainly had very scenic stretches but there were also many stretches of unscenic A road.

Wurzburg is well worth a stopover if you like the usual German alt stadt's,bridges and castles etc. There's a crappy Etap on the outskirts where we stayed if you want cheap and nast accommodation or a new Ibis on the riverbank near the old town if you want somewhere decent and reasonably priced to book in advance.

I think whoever came up with the name "Romantischer Stasse" (Romantic Road) should be sued under the trade descriptions act. It was a feckin' awful road, especially either side of Augsburg, which I won't be riding again in a hurry. There are much better alternatives.

sven said:
I think whoever came up with the name "Romantischer Stasse" (Romantic Road) should be sued under the trade descriptions act. It was a feckin' awful road, especially either side of Augsburg, which I won't be riding again in a hurry. There are much better alternatives.

Hi Sven

We intend coming down from Nurburg (ring) into area covered by Alte (Garmisch Partankinchen)
What alternative routes down would you suggest if not "Romantisher Strasse"?

Brill photos and write up Alte. :thumb Must head that way!! Got no pass for the upcoming trip mind. :(

Den, will certainly keep a lookout for your good looking pillion, can't promise you the same attention ;)

Mzokk said:
Brill photos and write up Alte. :thumb Must head that way!! Got no pass for the upcoming trip mind. :(

Hi Mzokk ... Harry, glad you enjoyed, am well into the minus points area myself at the minute :( , but hey ... we have a whole 10 months to build them up again right :bow :D

eclectic said:
Hi Sven

We intend coming down from Nurburg (ring) into area covered by Alte (Garmisch Partankinchen)
What alternative routes down would you suggest if not "Romantisher Strasse"?

The southern and northern parts of the road are fine, but between Nordlingen (spectacular walled city - we must go back there) and Schongau, it's just a big open A road with boring scenery. But after a week in the Alps, it was bound to be a bit boring.

There are plenty of B roads running parallel-ish to the Romantischer Strasse which would be more interesting. Just avoid the Augsburg area!

Back
Top Bottom