VHS to MPEG?

Cheesy Mike

I have 100+ VHS music video tapes that have now been relegated to boxes in the garage. What I'd really like to do is transfer some of the videos into MPEG format on the computer. From there I can make up CDR/DVDs - that bit I have no problem with.

Can anyone recommend a good setup for tranferring VHS to MPEG? I'm assuming I'll need a video capture card and then some software. I guess the software might be bundled with the card, but happy to pay for other stuff if necessary. My guess would be that one of those external USB video capture thingies would be a pile of shite as USB has poor bandwidth so I'm thinking of a PCI card. My home PC has reasonable umph - Athalon XP2000+ and 768MB of RAM. I'm going to fit a second 80gb disk to take the video files.

Regards,

Mike

I`ve had good results with a Dazzle Hollywood DV bridge. Its an external DV and analogue converter that uses a firewire port. My PC did`nt have firewire so I fitted a card for £15.
It will save your video input to AVI which you can convert to Mpeg and burn as a VCD or DVD if you have a DVD burner.
I`ve been pleasantly surprised with the quality.

Back
Top Bottom