Is this a common problem on 650's ?

nick

Reaction score
For the 3rd time in 3 months a coolant pipe on my 650 Dakar decided to come loose and the bike dumped it's coolant in a split second.

Last time the engine overheated and needed a new barrel, cylinder head and piston.

Today it happened again near Le Touquet, I don't know if there is any internal damage - I hope not as I stopped the engine pretty quickly.

Has anyone else experienced this problem ?

Attachments

• BMW_Coolant_Pipe.jpg
    BMW_Coolant_Pipe.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 514
some bad luck your having there nick :( , never had a hose blow off like that on mine :eek
was the previous work ie head barrel piston done under warranty ?
mine overheated ,but that was due to a hole in the rad , the head was warped but got away with having it and top of the barrel skimmed :cool:
good luck , make sure you bleed the coolant system when you refill it and recheck the level after its been up to temperature .

cheers mike

I'm not aware of this happening to anyone else. Is it the same joint as last time? Did you replace the Jubilee clip?

Always the same joint.

The single use BMW clip went missing on the first blowout.

The jubilee clips were used after the last "big blowout".

The work was done under warranty, increadibly the bike did it to the dealer on a test ride after their first attempted repair !

I can only think that something is not right inside the engine, it is getting VERY hot and the pressure blows the pipe.

OK, so it was a warm day today, but I was riding real gently as the bike has only done 200 miles since the last rebuild and I was "running in".

hi Nick,i have not heard of this as a common fault.
good job you are under warranty.
have you rad guards or fork gaitors fitted?

Those hose clips look crap

Where are they from - B&Q ?

Going to check my hoses tomorrow, as a precaution..........but not happened to me .....yet

Le Touquet..................practising for the Beach Race........didn't cause it....did it?? :D :D :D

Does sound like the system's over pressurising Nick.

I was puzzled when it blew so soon away after we filled it with cold water...didn't think it would have had time to get up to presure then...aybe one of the pathways is blocked so the coolant's not circulating?? :nenau

Cooling systems usually run at 11psi so to blow hose off lotsa pressure.
why this pressure ...is the thermostat opening fully when hot?
is the head gasket leaking when hot (yes its new but still)
you would expect coolant to come from the overflow system first if this level of overheating occurs so the point re the cap is well made.
Jubilee/terry clips are ok if you have a decent ridge to clamp them behind but don't have a 360' clamping action .
good luck

I do have stone guards in front of the radiator.

But then they were fitted on a trip to Morocco in May and it ws pretty damn hot there - 45 C.

All the problems started after the first annual service in June. Probably not related, but I don't think I have done more than 1,000 miles since.

You've definatly got a problem in there mate. The 650 engine is normally bulletproof.

Have you tried the obvious, ie. that the radiator is actually cooling, the temperature & pressure are directly related so if your hot enough to blow hoses then the rad should be offloading heat at full blast, is it doing this ?

Try thi:

I've just run up my 650 and got the following

1) START FROM COLD (IT'S ABOUT 20 DEG AMBIENT HERE AT PRESENT)
2) After about a minute you should be able to feel gentle heat coming into the lower part of the pipe you keep blowing.
3) All four flexible pipes, the one you are talking about plus the ones under the radiator, plus the one around the other side of the bike should be heating up at roughly the same rate and after 5 mins will be becoming uncomfortable to hold for more than a few seconds.
4) Feel on top of the radiator from time to time during this 5 mins, it should be cool.
5) At about 7 minutes, with all pipes hot, the rad should open up and instantly become hot like the pipes.
6) After about 8-10 minutes, the fan behind the radiator on the right hand side should cut in and you shoud be able to feel it blowing warm air down and out just above the rear suspension load adjuster.

Come back to me if anything different to above :thumb

My bike is still in Dover (I think).

It should be recovered to my local dealer on Tuesday and I will see what they suggest/propose.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

sounds like a faulty head gasket to me this hapened to my old vw polo
the head gasket went and presurised the water system the over flow bottle
looked fine
but the coolent had blowen out of the lower hose
i hope it ain't thuogh
the early aprillia pegaso's had with the 5valve head had real issues
with head gaskets needing to be retorqued every 3000 miles
although the funduro 's were fine

Back
Top Bottom