Which to choose.....

pint6x

Guys

Given a hypothetical situation where you saw the following two fine sickels for sale, both for 6 grand, which would you plump for ?

1) BMW R1100GS ABS Anniversary 98/R htd.grps., topcase, Red/White, 18,000 miles

2) BMW R1150GS, ABS, H/Grips Pannier Frames, FSH, 99/V, Silver, 13,800 miles

At first glance, the 1150 looks like the no-brainer, but it was the first of the line, whereas the 1100 was one of the final anniversary models, and they had ironed all the bugs out by that time. Both undoubtedly fine machines - which would you have ?

Cheers

6X

Erm....

I've got a silver 1150GS 99/v...........does that mean I'm boring and haven't had my bugs ironed out?

I badly wanted an 1150, hadn't even considered an 1100 ... until I saw the anniversary edition in red/white. The paint job is gorgeous, it really stands out.

I've hummed and hahed over so many bikes over the years but there was no hesitation when I saw the red/white 1100. I bought it on the spot.

I heard that there were only 1000 built so I was hoping it was rare and exclusive. I know Yosi has one, I have one, I saw another in Rainbow, Sheffield and know you are the second person to mention one through this board, so perhaps they are not so rare after all.

Still gorgeous though.

Opinion on this board seems to be that there's not much real difference between the 1100 and the 1150. All the respective owners are happy with their machines although it is often commented that the 1100's are better built prior to the price reductions.

Anyway, it's your money so it's your choice. Either way you can't lose, they're both great bikes.

Re: Erm....

thesanguine said:
I've got a silver 1150GS 99/v...........does that mean I'm boring and haven't had my bugs ironed out?

No comment :D

6X,

considering the similar age of the bikes, I think I'd be tempted towards the 1100.

I think you'd be getting a nice paint job, slightly better build quality and better gearing (in my opinion). Although the lack of a sixth gear might put some people off, I find that I rarely use it in this country anyway, as I tend to avoid straight roads and motorways. But I do find first a little tall on the 1150.

Never having ridden an 1100, I can't comment on windflow, but aftermarket screen options aren't as numerous as for the 1150, and aren't adjustable.

At the end of the day, your money, your choice.

Give them both a test and see what you think.

Steve.

OK I'll give the opposite view to Steve. Go for the 1150 . . .

Looks better (I've always thought the front end of the 1100 ugly - rectangular headlight, how 80s?).

6th gear - I rarely use it but am glad it's there when I want it; sustained 90mph in 5th on the 1100 is grim!).

Hydraulic clutch (the cable clutch on the 1100 is a definite weak point).

If you're going to keep the bike a long time, put miles on, and still want some residual value, then buy the newest bike you can. In 5 or 6 years time the 1100 will look very dated and undesirable. It will be the poor man's choice or the Captain Sensible choice.

The range of aftermarket parts is getting better and better for the 1150 (e.g., the exhaust options and screens).

You'll be hip at club meets and not one of the poor country cousins (we accept Paul G's, Malky's, Simon Thomas' and others 1100 idiosynchrasies because they're nice guys - we even let them drone on about how much better the 1100 is - but deep down we feel sorry for them).

Relating build quality to specific models is a myth. I've seen many a shoddy looking 1100, as well as 6-yr-old R850Rs and R1100RTs with peeling and chipped paint around the fork leg brace etc. I've also seen many an immaculate 1150 with no such problems. Don't be fooled by the "build quality" pitch.

What's wrong with silver? Personally, red is my least favourite colour although I've had my fair share of red bikes. Wearing red biking gear? Yuk!

:D :D :D

1150's the one

I wanted a 1100 when they came out, but I had to have one when the 1150 came out

I have agree with Mr SimonLongPosts (I didn't read it all tho;) )

And it's got to retain its value better being a newer model?

G...............

Simon Eassom said:

You'll be hip at club meets and not one of the poor country cousins (we accept Paul G's, Malky's, Simon Thomas' and others 1100 idiosynchrasies because they're nice guys - we even let them drone on about how much better the 1100 is - but deep down we feel sorry for them).

LOL:hapybnce:

MikeO:D

Back
Top Bottom