Scotland Sept 2005

Raindancer

I thoght I would attempt to write a small travelogue on my recent trip to the "Highlands". So here goes.

DAY 1

Kyle his brother Alan and I left Belfast Va Stranraer and headed for Dunoon Ferry and onwards via Glen Coe ...Oban Fort William...Glengary. The roads were dry the traffic sparse and the scenery just jaw dropping.

First Pic is Invergarry on the A 87 ......

"2nd Pic is the visitors centre about nine miles before Kyle of Lochkalsh.

From the A87 at Auchtertyre we turned right on the A 890 to Lochcarron on what was signposted after a few mile as "single track" road but it was really wide enough for two small cars and wider in some places....brilliant twisty undulating road and designed for a GS and not the rice rocket boyos.

Pic 3 is a view from the A 890 to Stromferry across the loch

DAY 2

From Lochcarron we headed for Applecross and whilst it was extremely hot there was a heat haze, thus the pics aren't the best....

Pic 4 is a view of the start of the road on Applecross and Pic 5 is another view of Applecross area.

Well according to the information on my screen, I have uploaded the maximum number of pics allowed...........So parts two and three will follow

Regards

Attachments

• Glengary.jpg
    Glengary.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 285
  • En route to Kyle of Lochkalsh.jpg
    En route to Kyle of Lochkalsh.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 260
  • Stromferry From A 890.jpg
    Stromferry From A 890.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 243
  • Applecross 1.jpg
    Applecross 1.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 280
  • Applecross To Lochcarron Road.jpg
    Applecross To Lochcarron Road.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 290
PART TWO

Day two cont....

We then turned back across Aplecross to Plockton by going back through Lochcarron on the A890 cos its just a great road.

Pic 1 Is Plockton Village .... A beautiful village nestling below the surrounding Undulating hills where the food is great and the locals extremely friendly......Whilst we were there, the Gs's attracted some attention from this young lady, who was MISS MCN April/May 2005 steady guys... I have her name and address and it's not for publication. I did ask her permission to publish her pics and she agreed. So Pics 2 & 3 are here for you to see...

In the evening we returned to Lochcarron and dined in the Rockvilla Hotel which is owned by and English chap and his wife (Peter and Wendy) and they are extremely biker friendly. Very good food and brilliant hosts.(Pete is also a biker) ( Well he likes American Iron machines) :rolleyes:

Day 3

We headed for Gairloch via the Achnasheen road A890 Must be one of the best biking roads in Scotland..........miles of open road and "hardly a sinner in sight" as they say.

Pic 4 is a view of the road/pass to Gairloch

On the way we stopped at Loch Marie jus outside Kinlochewe......again another roasting day with a heat haze in the hills See Pic 5

Part three to follow

Attachments

• Plockton Village.jpg
    Plockton Village.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 217
  • Miss MCN April-May 2005.jpg
    Miss MCN April-May 2005.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 253
  • Mountain pass to Gairloch and Poolewe.jpg
    Mountain pass to Gairloch and Poolewe.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 243
  • Loch Marie en Route to Gairloch.jpg
    Loch Marie en Route to Gairloch.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 226
  • Miss MCN.jpg
    Miss MCN.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 247
Part three

From Gairloch to Poolewe the roads are superb and from Poolewe we headed for Ullapool on the A832 to A835... Pic 1 is a view en route.

From Ullapool we headed for Dingwall on the A835 cos Kyle wanted to go to Tescos ;) .... This is another brilliant biking road with sweeping bends correct cambers and excellent scenery.............and no "speed enforcers". Not that we were travelling beyond the imposed speed limit :D

From Dingwall back to Lochcarron via Garve and along the A 832 to Achnasheen road....(yes the same brilliant road in one day) sorry no pics..... was too busy enjoying the road. Total miles in one long afternoon ...219

There is much more I could write about the remainder of our stay but these images are the ones that are most indelible in my mind....And finally we capped off our stay in the Highlands with a wee bit of off roading see pics 2 and 3.

Whislt I have the room I may as well add two mor pics.... Pic 4 is halfway up (or down) depending on your perspective of Applecross......

Pic 5 is another view of Loch Marie..

Summation

Brilliant weather for the whole time we were there...brilliant roads everywhere, such friendly locals and great craic from Kyle and his brother. Go do it........... :ukgser

Attachments

• En Route Poolewe to Ullapool.jpg
    En Route Poolewe to Ullapool.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 218
  • Another track we found.jpg
    Another track we found.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 209
  • Kyle Off Road from A 890.jpg
    Kyle Off Road from A 890.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 197
  • Halfway Up Applecross.jpg
    Halfway Up Applecross.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 215
  • Lochcarron Village from A 890.jpg
    Lochcarron Village from A 890.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 202
Looks like you had a great trip

Nice shots Dan, looks like you did well with the weather too. :thumb

Scot Sept 05

Hi Dan

Just viewed your pic's of the wee run to God's Country,i'll have two's up on you know who ;) good to see you got the weather look'n forward to getting across meself sometime,maybe see you about before the end of the year I haven't been out and about lately but that will change come Oct 1st.

regd's K :thumb

Raindancer said:
Part three

From Ullapool we headed for Dingwall on the A835 cos _Kyle wanted to go to Tescos ;) .... This is another brilliant biking road with sweeping bends correct cambers and excellent scenery.............and no "speed enforcers". Not that we were travelling beyond the imposed speed limit :D

and thats just the tesco car park :thumb

cheers dan it was good crack

just a wee add on to raindancers report..

any one going to lochcarron should note that the rockvilla hotel will be offering b+b+evening meal per person sharing for bikers for £30 a night.
or if your are a tight arse like me you could stay at the 'wee campsite' for £2
per person per night ..the wc/showerblock is basic but clean and a path across the road takes you down to afore mentioned hotel 5mins walk :D

happy days

Some good photies there Raindancer, I know these roads and you describe them well :thumb

A 890 to Stromferry across the loch
I'm going to have to take a run up to Stromeferry just to take a pic of the sign ! is it still there ?
Stromeferry (No Ferry)

Its one of those signs that makes me smile every time I see it.

Cheers
G C

Stromferry (No ferry)

G.C. said:
Some good photies there Raindancer, I know these roads and you describe them well :thumb

I'm going to have to take a run up to Stromeferry just to take a pic of the sign ! is it still there ?
Stromeferry (No Ferry)

Its one of those signs that makes me smile every time I see it.

Cheers
G C
Yep it's still there

Nice report Dan. I'd love to go over again soon. But if I do I recon the wife would cuff me lugs. :D

Back
Top Bottom