Dyfi rally report

earthmover

opinionated, me?
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Don't know of this is of any interest to anyone, normally post on the Rides list:

A much depleted Bogbusters contingent travelled to the Dyfi rally on Saturday morning, owing to the current curse which seems to be hanging over Cheshire and surrounding area. Determined not to add to this catalogue of woe, we were under strict orders to return in one piece, with prudence being the watchword for the weekend.
Previous Dyfi entrants would have had a shock when they rolled up at the usual start area, because it wasn’t there! The same field as was used for the Dyfi enduro earlier this year was the venue, and mindful of the rain of the previous day, we parked in the first available spot, next to Malc and Tim. Within five minutes we were accosted by Rich, who recognised our youthful good looks and gentle Northern accents.
First order of the day was to head down to the refreshments van for breakfast, to find it wasn’t open yet! Not the best start, no tea, no bacon. Cereal bar and another cigarette then. Had a wander round the paddock to catch up with a few of the usual suspects, then got kitted up for our 11.57 start.
From the paddock we rode a couple of hundred yards along tarmac, before arriving at the timing lights for the first stage! Nothing like a good warm up is there? Ah well, onwards and upwards.
Accelerate to a tight left uphill hairpin, then accelerate to a tight right hairpin to a step, through a tunnel of trees at whatever speed you felt brave enough for, right onto an overgrown fire road one bike wide that curved gently left. Hairpin left then gently curving right handed overgrown fire road, with nasty looking stump on the right (significant) a couple of open corners, that you braked too hard for, then realised you could have gone quicker. Right into a rutted slalom through the trees, then down onto fire roads again. These were the very slick bare stone variety, not my favourite, but recognisable as the reverse of last years stage. Sure enough, left onto bumpy uphill section. Hope we don’t have to do the killer downhill in reverse! Thankfully not, left onto flat but whooped section for a couple of hundred yards, then back onto fire road and the timing lights. Breathing hard now, but warmed up significantly.
Andy, Les and I regrouped, and set off on the liaison. Andy put me as pace setter to keep the speed sensible, not sure how to take that? Despite the overcast sky, it was rather warm, but the rain held off and we enjoyed a pleasant trundle through the forest.
After a short but quite bumpy uphill, again the reverse of last year, some open fire roads, and a pleasant bit of single track, we arrived at the second stage. His was more open than the first stage, but had some nasty looking edges to be aware of. One downhill hairpin left had a solid bank to catch the underbrakers, but shortly after there was an easy looking left. This tightened sharply, leaving a fair stretch of fresh air for the enthusiastic throttle jockey to fly off into! Made a mental note of both as I passed. Some splendid flowing bends followed, which brought a huge grin if linked together well, but had the Honda struggling for breath a little! Hairpin left onto Andy’s Folly (last year’s slick rocks) and up a technical, rocky climb, followed by some shallow ruts, then back to fire roads. Horsepower and bottle check to the timing lights and finish.
The ride back to the paddock involved more of the same, with an interesting section of off road leading onto the moorland. No goat track this year, but a splendid vantage point all the same, leading into a Steve Ireland style, grass off camber downhill to contend with. Judging from the marks in the grass, a few riders had been caught out by the damp from yesterday’s rain.
Andy contemplated getting something to eat before the timed lap, but I convinced him it wasn’t a good idea. Sadly, we were then held up for 30-40 minutes waiting at the start of the stage for the ambulance to clear. We didn’t know at that point that it was Marianne, who had run into the tree stump on the sidecar. Needless to say, the stump didn’t need treatment, but Marianne has a broken leg. All our best wishes for a speedy and painless recovery.
Once the track was cleared, the timekeepers set the riders off at 10-second intervals, to ease the backlog. Happily, the rider in front of me missed his jerk at the step, so I had a free run through the tunnel. Onto the first fire road section, and the next rider gave me plenty of room on one of the wider bends, but I could already feel the hot breath of a 450 KTM on my neck. Into the next straight I wrung the Honda out, but the noise was getting louder, so I pointed left and Andy thundered past in a hail of gravel. At the start of the ruts, two riders stuck themselves together, and as I passed I could see Andy ahead. They had slowed him down before then, and I was able to gain ground as we dropped onto the slick track. We both passed another rider before the uphill, but Andy overshot, so I was right on his back wheel all the way to the top. Not the most comfortable of positions to be in, but ready to capitalise on any mistake or passing opportunity. None came, and the final drag to the lights was a foregone conclusion. Excellent fun! Les joined us moments later, and we set off for the next stage.
At the start of the second stage, I told Andy to go first, as he would be all over me otherwise (not as daft as I look, I get a clear track!) Remembering the two dodgy left handers, I had a satisfying run, with no scares and at a quick enough pace. I passed one rider stopped just after the corner with the drop, and one other just before the finish, but was surprised not to see Andy at the end. After a couple of minutes, with no Les either, I checked with the timekeeper if 56 had come through. When she said not, the realisation set in. The only way I could have passed Andy, was if he wasn’t on the track! I had a horrible feeling that I knew where he had gone, and it was confirmed a few minutes later. One of the quads rode up and told me that both Andy and Les were OK, but one of the bikes had gone over the edge. At least I wouldn’t have to ring Sharon again! With no way of helping, after half an hour, I left to do my 3rd lap. At the start van, the officials had decided to cut the lap though, owing to the delay, and add it to tomorrow’s schedule. I parked up, grabbed a brew, and waited.
Shortly after, both Les and Andy rolled up. Andy had come across a fallen rider in the middle of the stage, and his evasive action left no room for error. He had decked the bike, and himself, but in the best cartoon tradition the KTM had teetered on the edge of the track long enough for him to get close to it, before plummeting over the brink! It came to a halt about 12 feet down, and after realising that he couldn’t retrieve it on his own, Andy climbed back up, poking his head above the parapet just as Les rode past. This scared Les enough to make him drop his bike, and despite Andy’s warning not to step back, he did, and landed where Andy’s bike was! Wish I had a video! With their times well and truly screwed, they tried to recover the bike, but as they did a quad flew off the track in the same place, scattering them both! Les had jarred his knee again, so he went on traffic duty, while Andy, the quad pilot, and another generous soul also on a quad, dragged the machinery back to the track. My test time, 10 minutes, Andy and Les’s time, 48 minutes! My how we laughed!
A quiet evening in the White Lion, steak supper and a couple of pints, saw all three of us ready for our beds at 9.30. Must be the adrenaline!
A glorious morning awaited us, and the officials confirmed that the early numbers would be doing 4 laps of the course, all timed. Glad I didn’t drink too much, as I tried to remember the course. Les had taken a handful of painkillers, so that he wouldn’t worry about his knee, so we went out to further our enjoyment of the Welsh countryside.
The first lap passed by quite uneventfully, but I got a scare on the second lap. Just after Andy had left the lights for the second stage, three marshals followed him. Imagine my surprise when one of them loses the plot as I come up behind him on the first of the dodgy left-handers! Thankfully, he skidded to a halt roughly where I predicted he would, so my evasive action kept me from T-boning him.
On the third lap, bounding gaily up the bumpy hill between the two timed stages, I managed my only off of the day. For no apparent reason, the Honda leapt sideways and I flew out of the front, thankfully without injury. Highsided up a hill? How does that work? Les had a grandstand view and asked how I had done it. My handguard was bent so much that my clutch was inoperable, but by pushing the perch further down the bars I was able to get enough lever travel to continue. We met up with Malc and Tim, and rode the remainder of the lap with them, Tim getting a masterclass in fireroad stages from Andy. They had completed their three laps, as we went out for our fourth. The first stage had got quite rough now, and after stalling on the first hairpin, I charged annoyed through the tunnel. Hitting a bump sent me into a slight tankslapper, but in such a confined space was enough to slow me down significantly. Tiredness starting to show I suspect. No further dramas occurred, although Les went off-piste slightly as we rode up the last singletrack onto the moorland. Col Spicer and company were taking a team photo, and Brian Lightfoot joined us admiring the view for one last time. "Last one to the brew wagon buys the tea,” I said. Brian had gone before I turned round, but he hadn’t counted on how little I like to part with my money! Andy and I passed him one on each side, but I had the inside line to the gate. Andy tried a wide sweep to the next gate, while I took the direct route, praying for a dry line to brake on. I found one, and Andy found a slippery patch of grass to lie down in!
A pleasant weekend’s riding, only spoilt by the misfortune of others. Thanks to the organisers and officials for their time and effort, and roll on the next.
Mark

philgunn said:
I was there riding a gs800 i see you also have beemer , why not use that

Gunner
coss the Honda is a proper off road bike and the Beemer aint :eek:

Hi Earthmover...would love to see any photos if you have any :thumb

Hi Phil, I know you were there, didn't know you were on the forum. Saw you in the paddock a couple of times, how did you fare on the course?
I do intend to try the GS on one of the Rallies, my recollections of last years Dyfi were quite a lot more off-road than this years, so I decided on the Honda. Before her crash I was discussing the Hafren with Marianne, she thought that Geraint was putting quite a lot of fresh cut tracks in this year, so I will probably debut my weightlifting practice at the PJM early next year.
I was thinking which bits I wouldn't fancy on the GS as I rode round. The hill with the deep rut at the top struck me as challenging with two pots stuck out of the side :eek: And the climb in the second stage!
I suppose the first thing I should do is get some sensible rubber under me and get some practice in.
Dazzer, didn't take a camera with me, I'm not sure how well it would survive.
Mark

Back
Top Bottom