The Alps

Chris iow

Reaction score
Just back from 8 days in the Alps - mainly Austria and Switzland. Awesome stuff and really worth a trip. I did just over 2500 miles in the 8 days and many passes including the Splugen and the Stelvio - the latter being my favourite as it just seems to go one for ever and is soooooo high oxygen tanks would be helpful.

Took some pictures but they really do not do any justice to the beauty of the place.

One point that for some reason I did not appreciate before I went was the tunnels. I am not a fan of tunnels but I had to get over that pretty quickly - 5k long tunnel out of Landeck is kill or cure!

One other slightly amusing (or downright silly on my part) bit was going down the German autobahn and suddenly loads of traffic ahead. I had heard on this forum that the Germans are generally good at making room for bikes to filter and indeed they were. I was well impressed and then I thought that they were trying a little too hard, and then it was obvious that they were making loads of room - getting right out of the way so much that even a tank could have got through - oh well how kind of them I thought. Then I heard it (through the ear plugs) the distinctive sound of a siren, looked in my mirrors and there was police car in full flashing lights and siren right behind me! Pulled over quick and the passenger cop gave me some rude wave and look that suggested that if they were not attending the accident down the road they would have booked me. So bit of a lesson there I guess.

An absolutely excellent trip - and if anyone is thinking of doing it - do it!

Chris

Two friends were given on the spot fines in Austria for filtering. I believe it is also illegal in Germany. You were lucky they had other priorities.

wessie said:
Two friends were given on the spot fines in Austria for filtering. I believe it is also illegal in Germany. You were lucky they had other priorities.

If you filter in town,it's very much frowned upon by the average German motorist, but they do make space on the Autobahn (unlike the Dutch who try to block you :nono )

Back
Top Bottom