Broadband Providers

goose

BT operates a system of pre-registration for exchanges that are not ADSN enabled. They recently reduced this for a lot of exchanges. Nantwich recently went from 700 ish to 350, and about a week later got a mail from the supplier with which I was registered with to say that the level had been reached and it was now in the verification stage.

I registered with Eclipse from a recommendation on another board and I have found a good rating on an ADSL survey site.

The do a 500lite, up to 512kbs (50:1 contention) for £26.74 and I don't think you get any extras.

I now need to decide on a provider, but apart from speed and availability I am unsure about what other providers give you as extras, and if the extras are really useful.

Any recommendations for providers or tips on what I should be considering.

I went with BT as I was already with them for dial-up and it meant I could retain my e-mail address. Had that not been the case I'd have gone somewhere else, even though I know that BT are the carriers and I'm more likely to find a resIolution to my problems quicker.

Now I am considering alternatives and I can't find a better offering to the one provided by Plus net. There are othere but I don't want to put my Internet Services in the hands of a here today with cheap prices but gone tomorrow with your money effort.

I used to be with plusnet a few years ago and they are an established player in the market, whoever you go with know they are established. BTinternet/BTOpenworld have been fine for me but their product offering isn't so attractive these days.

Goose,
Malky is with broadband with PlusNet, and I've just gone over to them for Broadband too (about a week).
And it's fantastic!
Excellent service and you can track your status as you wait for connection.

Judge

To retain you BT email addy when you change ISP just change your BT account to a pay as you go dial up account.

You will still be able to access the email account via POP3 or webmail from any internet connection.

You may have to dial the account once in a while to keep the account "alive", depends on BT's terms & conditions. This will only cost you 5p.

PlusNet

I have had a quick look at PlusNet and it looks like a very good package. The starter pack allows the option of a PCI modem, Eclipse only give a USB option, as both the USBs are now use ( printer + camera) it does give PlusNet a bit of an edge.

Thanks for the advice.

I use AOL as my ISP and also a talk21 email address. I have just the one BT line.

AOL are doing B Band for about £28 pm

I also have the option of NTL...

AOL would be my easy option....and there giving the modem free..are there any reasons this would not be agood deal?

Wreford

Wreford Miles said:
I use AOL as my ISP and also a talk21 email address. I have just the one BT line.

AOL are doing B Band for about £28 pm

I also have the option of NTL...

AOL would be my easy option....and there giving the modem free..are there any reasons this would not be agood deal?

Wreford

AOL - err no comment but check out PlusNet first. I'll say no more.

BTW they do a referral scheme so if you stick "mccreery" in and I get the couple of quid off (or whatever it is) my bill I'll donate it to the club. So you get a good ADSL supplier and the club gets money ! Needless to say if it was shite I wouldn't recommend it.

I would recommend the peer to peer package for Kazza etc.

To see more click on www.malray.co.uk and then click on the plusnet banner

Re: PlusNet

goose said:
I have had a quick look at PlusNet and it looks like a very good package. The starter pack allows the option of a PCI modem, Eclipse only give a USB option, as both the USBs are now use ( printer + camera) it does give PlusNet a bit of an edge.

Thanks for the advice.
I have used these guys for a few months now and have recommended to a few and they are very happy. All those extras are nice.

BTW : I am always on the service and it very very reliable. I went a bit OTT and got my own .co.uk peer to peer blah blah, fax 2 email, 250Meg of web space etc etc it just goes on. And all for way less than AOL, BT etc.
Most importantly the customer service is very good.

You can use any modem - they can support them no problem. I got myself a Solwise 4 port router and there was no issue me buying direct from Solwise. In fact when I called them about such matters they were open to pretty much anything. Worth reading www.adslguide.org the reviews are well helpful. This will let you think about what you may wish to get in terms of features (NAT / Firewall) etc.

If you have kids or a wife wishing to get on the net at the same time as you and you can get another PC (perhaps an old one gathering dust) I would recommend a router. We can have 3 PCs plus sometimes a laptop, on VPN, connected to the wifeys work. I occasionally play 300K or even 500K movie clips and 128K virgin radio and I am amazed how it all does not glitch.

Remember to put some kind of parental control on the kids PC. Afterall you don't want them to see a lady relaxing on her motorbike or jud9e's answer to the word game now do you. SO BAR UKGSer.com ;)

Re: Re: PlusNet

Malky said:
Afterall you don't want them to see a lady relaxing on her motorbike or jud9e's answer to the word game now do you.
Oh yeah like the two are equal! - Maybe if I'd posted a picture of the act instead of the word or if you posted a description of the picture instead of the actual picture we'd be equal - the words straw at and clutching spring to mind :p

Dunno works for me.
Anyhow you do know that the BT dns servers are shite
have PMed you

jud9e said:
Well presuming you're not seeing cached versions of your site and it is my shite dns servers - PM me the IP address and I'll use that.
Further it seems MY shite DNS cant resolve either your domains or that of your ISP but can seemingly get anything else I try - I really must look to ditch my inferior ISP :rolleyes:

mal.gif

well chaps I just went onto crappy modem and on to a Affinity ISP service. It worked all be it very very slowly. So I'm sure I can see from non-Plusnet and non-BT

And yes I did wipe the cache

And as for the BT DNS servers they are crap. A friend of mine has had consitent DNS failures with BT broadband. He recently installed a DNS cache on his home network. BT servers are able to service 1-2% of DNS requests. How crap is that.

AOL

I did various free trials at around the time freeserve started up. Of these AOL was by far the worst, it had its own customised browser and when the free period ended I could not get the next trial loaded. I think I had to do a complete Windows reload to clear the mess it had made to the system. After that I kept reading how every new release of AOL would cause problems. This was a while ago so maybe they are better now.

Referral

Oops, nearly forgot.

Malky,

It will probably be a little while before I do connect. I was going to offer the referral to Jon, but can give it to you to donate to the club. Is the user name the www.malky.co.uk, or is there another hidden one that I would have to use?

Re: Referral

goose said:
Oops, nearly forgot.

Malky,

It will probably be a little while before I do connect. I was going to offer the referral to Jon, but can give it to you to donate to the club. Is the user name the www.malky.co.uk, or is there another hidden one that I would have to use?

Offer it to Jon if you wish.
If I know I receive X amount from GS club people I will simply donate to the club that's all. Anyhow my website address is www.malray.co.uk or www.mccreery.plus.com
These are the same web site. These have banners that should credit the referral. However to be sure I tend to suggest quoting the user name of "mccreery" and or the email id of malcolm@mccreery.plus.com

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom