HELP, Wire Wheels - Cleaning the ******* things

Roge

Reaction score
I have just spent an unpleasant hour de gunging the wire wheels on a R1150GS, are there any trade secrets or magic possions for doing this? Elbow grease and patience have resulted in a job well done, battered fingers and possibly piles frome sitting on cold concrete. Maybe sports bikes do have an advantage in all those acres of wipe clean plastic and smooth alloy wheels!!

Roger

Cleaning wheels

Hi we must have been cleaning at the same time today. I have recently bought a 55,000 mile gs-wheels where black when I got it-since it's an early one this is not the colour BM intended. The products I have found most useful are
1) Halfords Alloy Wheel brush-seems the perfect shape to get in between the spokes and clean fast
2) Extreme wheel cleaner-I think it's Turtle Wax-but flourescent green spray bottle in Halford's now.
3) Finally after removing layesr of dirt I have just taken a tip form MCN and used Oven Cleaner-strong alkali-to get the last bits of black off. I think your wheels will be coated so I only recommend the use of this in extremis-put it in for a few seconds (comes with a brush in the lid) get the toothbrush going-and then spray off. But my wheels aren't anodised. Hope this helps Cheers:)

wheels

Roger,
why don't you fit some alloy wheels,it's easy enough it will improve the bikes handling,you have a much wider choice of tyres
and lastly you don't have to spend hours cleaning the things,two minutes there like new again.mine will go on again when I sell it!!
but not before.Andy

Cleaning them weekly, or daily if salt is around.

Sorry no magic soltutions that I've come across. I've just spent a couple of hours cleaning mine. I did find the brushes that came with my Muc-Off kit very useful for getting 'in there', the solution's nothing special though.

Once clean though - coat them with the wax stuff you can get.

HTH :D

Back
Top Bottom