Track logs sp3

Den

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Can I alter the length of the track log. Mine records about 200 miles.
I found Track properties and there is "filter adjustment" for time,distance, and a slider for more or less points. What exactly does this do. The book does not mention this and, yes, Ive searched the forum, but you could grow roots and be stuck to the chair before you find a specific point within that lot.
Just found the altitude graph as well ....brilliant !

Den. Press Menu, then select Map Setup, then the Line tab. Use the rocker keypad to go to Track Log and change the right hand column to record at whatever distance you want. I think its set to Automatic by default, but as an example, mine is currently set at 3 miles.

Depends on the length of any proposed trips I suppose, but from memory the "Automatic" setting records approx 4 hours of riding.

Taff - what you describe doesn't change how the track log is recorded. You're changing the way the track is displayed on the screen at different zoom settings. By setting it to 3 miles the unit will display track logs at map scales of up to 3 miles but not above.

As far as I know you can't change how the GPS unit records track logs. It will record 2000 points and then start overwriting the earliest points. It depends on how you ride but this usually equates to about 200 miles, as Den says.

You can alter the track logs once you get them in MapSource, which is what the controls Den has found are for.

Bloody hell ... and there was me thinking that it changed the distance it dropped the "breadcrumbs". :banghead: So, what you're saying is that even if I zoomed out to say 20 miles on the unit, by changing it from automatic, the breadcrumb trail would still show.

Taff said:
So, what you're saying is that even if I zoomed out to say 20 miles on the unit, by changing it from automatic, the breadcrumb trail would still show.

That's the idea. Although the GPS does seem to override the settings sometimes, I think if it would make the map too cluttered. I'm not sure about for the track log display, but even though I set the "max zoom" for points of interest on mine to 20 miles, it didn't display them at anything larger than 3 miles.. Presumably because there are so many the map would be unreadable.

Thanks for the replies. Someone recently posted a track log for a trip to morocco, and his track log seemed to last the entire journey by the look of it.
I dont know what type of gps it was, or if he carried a laptop to download it into.
I will have a wee search and ask whoever it was.

Erm........

The quest may be totally different so this may be grollux, (and I don't remember from my SPIII days) but I can change the 'breadcrumb frequency' on mine.

The screen result is that I get lines across corners on big gaps, or the track follows the curve at fine 'resolution' (small intervals)

I know I worked out I can record the entire length of the TITS trip this year :thumb

This is my track log as of tonight, and it dates back to the 14th Sept.

Attachments

• tracks.gif
    tracks.gif
    43.8 KB · Views: 139
Den said:
.. Someone recently posted a track log for a trip to morocco, and his track log seemed to last the entire journey by the look of it.
I dont know what type of gps it was, or if he carried a laptop to download it into.
I'm guessing that if it was an SPIII, that they had a laptop and combined the track logs in Mapsource.

Hope this makes sense, but I was having a play one day :rolleyes: and found that if you have a number of track logs, you can copy the "Track Properties" and paste them into another file, or the first track. If you do this with several consecutive track logs, you can combine a number of recorded tracks into 1 big track log. I don't know if there's a limit to how many you can add, but I combined 3 with no problems at all.

Fanum said:
Erm........

The quest may be totally different so this may be grollux, (and I don't remember from my SPIII days) but I can change the 'breadcrumb frequency' on mine.

As far as I know you can't do this on the SP3. If you can I haven't found how yet :)

Den said:
Thanks for the replies. Someone recently posted a track log for a trip to morocco, and his track log seemed to last the entire journey by the look of it.
I will have a wee search and ask whoever it was.

I think you'll find that the GPS's that could be used for walking have the adjustment feature on the tracklog. This allows a walker to drop a "breadcrumb" at set distances, and a motorist to drop them at set times for example. My E-Trex Vista has recorded ; bike tours, walks, trail rides and flights around Hawaii & the Grand Canyon.
The SP3 is an auto/marine unit so Garmin assumes that no adjustment is necessary. I would prefer if the SP3 would record a days ride but, as pointed out above, it only goes for around 200 miles.

I seem to remember when looking at the specs of the 2610 and the quest that the 2610 records 2000 points on the track log and the quest 10,000. Could be bollocks mind. :)

Mzokk said:
I seem to remember when looking at the specs of the 2610 and the quest that the 2610 records 2000 points on the track log and the quest 10,000. Could be bollocks mind. :)

Right!

The main disadvantage with all StreetPilots (SP3, 2610, 2720, etc) is their very limited memory for track logs. Only 2000 points which represents about 4 hours of driving.

The Quest can store 10000 points and the 276C can store 150000 points.

HMR said:
The main disadvantage with all StreetPilots (SP3, 2610, 2720, etc) is their very limited memory for track logs. Only 2000 points which represents about 4 hours of driving. The Quest can store 10000 points and the 276C can store 150000 points.

I think that Garmin has found that 99.9% of the users of the high end automotive units (26xx and 27xx) never use the track log function at all - hence the reason they have not allocated more memory for it.

The 276 is primarily a marine unit - where track logs are considered a very important feature. This explains why the 276 has such a huge track log capacity. I'm not familiar with the Quest.

Michael

PanEuropean said:
I think that Garmin has found that 99.9% of the users of the high end automotive units (26xx and 27xx) never use the track log function at all - hence the reason they have not allocated more memory for it.

Right.

What worries me even more is that Garmin has found that 99% of all users never use the PC (MapSource) to plan his driving or exchange routes with friends. True since 90% of all MC riders always drive on straight main roads and use the navigator only to find the nearest hotel, the nearest gas station etc.

We, very few, that prefer riding on small curvy roads and use the navigator mostly with the purpose to avoid the roads "with a white line in the middle" represents only minor business for Garmin.

As a result of this Garmin's newer products doesn't improve usability for us old fashioned curve lovers. I therefore suspect (but hope not) that the 276C will be the best MC-navigator ever made. Also the SP3, and the Quest are great but already the 2610 is a step backward. Pity!

motomartin said:
Can't you just 'remember' where you've been ? :nenau

Er, yes, usually, but it can provide an excellent aid if you're going back to a distant and strange place that you were only at once a long while ago (The sahara trip for example...we saved the off-piste route as a load of W/P's but this year I'm going to have the whole route as a track, saved daily as backup) or if you're going off road in a complicated set of twists and turns.

I do many ens of thousands of miles a year and though I do have a good memory for places and routes, seeing that black dotted line can be a great help sometimes.

PanEuropean said:
...Garmin has found that 99.9% of the users of the high end automotive units (26xx and 27xx) never use the track log function at all ....
The track log is a fantastic (but obviously underused) feature, if you want to record a particularly good stretch of road, for riding again, and on virtually every ride-out, there is usually part of the route I would like to retrace. As Motomartin suggests, you could always try and remember the route, but you have no chance of remembering some of the routes Dennis comes up with sometimes. Hell, on some of them, I didn't even know which County we'd been in until I got back to the computer. :D No need to fanny about with maps and highliters while on the move, just download it onto Mapsource (together with any new waypoints you've picked up) and save.

excellent choice!

HMR said:
I am upgrading from a SP3 to the 276C. Why? The 276C can log over 30 days riding while the SP3 only can store half a day.

You will be amazed by the 276C :thumb
Best Garmin unit and miles better than those B*W units ( bound to be contradicted by some :tosser here!! ;) ) and does a better job in my humble opinion.

Well that's my tuppence worth!

Back
Top Bottom