650GS really is a good bike!

JohnnyBoxer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Went out on mine today to Rossendale Bike show and then onto Jim Mcflurrys, over the Pennines and the bike performs superbly........I must ride it more often........

They are fast and nimble and will cruise @ 80 on m/ways without any trouble and will bimble at 60-90 on A roads..........

I opened mine up on the A59 from Bolton Abbey, up the hill past Beamsley (a fast, sweeping long uphill 2-3 mile climb) and managed to clock 160kph (about 100mph) up most of it - awesome for a little 650cc bike

Lights are good in the dark and the bike will take all you throw at it, whilst still returning over 70mpg........

Only mods I would do is to put some uprated fork springs in and heavier oil, to minimise dive and fork flexing (when your used to a Telelever front end)

Wind protection is good with the Dakar screen and so is protection from rain,now i've put on the TT low front mudguard (better than a faceful of mud)

So all that's left to do, is the said fork mod,TT forkleg protectors and a soft luggage rack (Ventura) and it'll be tops..........

Respect to a great underrated bike :clap :bow :clap :bow

I'll second that!

I'd add that the standard cases are bloody good too. Much better than any BMW motocases I've experienced in the past.

Now I've put a TT (tall) seat on mine I need some bar risers to improve the position.

Next for me are some progressive springs and heavier fork oil too. It does seem a bit bouncey compared to Tele-lever.

The only time I don't really enjoy riding it is when I've jumped straight off my Adv.

Agree 100%

The trouble is that the 'bigger tossers' jump off their sorted twins onto neglected 650 loan bikes & pull em to pieces - at the same time telling potential converts to GS's to 'give them a long trial before deciding'

The 650 will never match the twins at what the twins do best, but the reverse also applies.

Si Pavey & all could base their Paris Dakar on whatever they choose, to date they have chosen the 650! (HP2 in future?).

Much underrated :thumb

The trouble is that the 'bigger tossers' jump off their sorted twins onto neglected 650 loan bikes & pull em to pieces

And then chuck those pieces into the nearest river huh??

:dabone :dabone

Yep, that's what happens when you apply the twin
'all the extras' mentality to a basically good bike!

K.I.S.S. :p

Having had a Dakar (the superior & faster red/white/blue one :mmmm )and put the uprated T/Tech fork springs in, I'd definitely recommend it as a mod worth doing, changed the handling noticeably for the better.

Also had the T/tech lower front mudguard which worked well too. Had bar risers (being 6ft helped when standing) and big T/Tech footpegs (just the big pegs not the adjustable ones) which also help when standing up/off-road.

Fantastic bike which caught a lot of other bikers out and looked the dogs danglies with the r/w/b paint scheme.

Still miss mine sometimes, but can't justify two bikes and have just paid the best part of £250k to get a garage - lounge, kitchen and 3 beds thrown in foc............:D

don't miss the chain tho :rolleyes:

Had a 650GS a couple of years ago, as my first bike. Did my DA on it.

Have had several bigger bikes since but when my 1200GS was being serviced a few weeks back, loaned a 650 again for the day.

Was really pleasantly surprised by how good a ride it was on most roads.

Almost wish I'd kept the old one now!

Compared to the 1150 it's still a girly bike with a vague front end. Too heavy and fragile off road, do enjoy it though.:kissy2

timolgra said:
Compared to the 1150 it's still a girly bike with a vague front end. Too heavy and fragile off road, do enjoy it though.:kissy2

Cobblers! Wish I'd had a six and a bit in Romania.

Only place they suffer is on motorways.

:beer:

timolgra said:

Not your sort of Girlie then Tim? ;)

Mine's great - done 10k miles on it since Feb, five countries so far, Ireland twice, and still not bored! It's good for commuting as well as for long distance - my only problem so far has been the electrics which are a little unreliable. The lights are brilliant, I had two hondas before my 650, a 125 and a 400, both of them seemed to be designed to illuminate the surrounding trees - which is great if you like trees, but not if you want to see where you're going at night - the 650 lights up the road for miles. I'm hoping to do another five country tour next Feb and have no doubt that the 650 will cope with all the roads and weather I throw at it!

An underated bike indeed!

BMW market the 650GS as an entry level 'bike. OK maybe.... but it has a serious side to it, much underated indeed. Just done 23 countries, over 19,000 miles in just over five months. Out longer and as many miles as Charley and Ewan but without the back up! We cried, we swore and we laughed, on the same roads through Mongolia that they did... and then we headed south through the Gobi Desert.

We wouldn't have wanted to do it on any other 'bike than the 650 :bounce1

Micky said:
BMW market the 650GS as an entry level 'bike. OK maybe.... but it has a serious side to it, much underated indeed. Just done 23 countries, over 19,000 miles in just over five months. Out longer and as many miles as Charley and Ewan but without the back up! We cried, we swore and we laughed, on the same roads through Mongolia that they did... and then we headed south through the Gobi Desert.

We wouldn't have wanted to do it on any other 'bike than the 650 :bounce1

Nice to see you back on the Forums again and good to chat on Fri last
Ride safe............

Can I just say........

As a "bigger tosser" (and I'm in the upper range of big) whose twin is in for some fettling today, I have jumped on a 650 GSD loan bike......and have gone all misty-eyed with the memories of mine.

OK, its got half the power, but its half the price. It dives when ya brake, but its half the price. It's not got servo brakes ( :eek ) but its half the price.

And its thinner, more chuckable and a complete hoot!! If I ever have to downsize for financial reasons (not completely unimagineable) then I'll be back on one like a shot!

Not bad at all.

Won't get rid of mine (even though the other half would'nt let me :rolleyes: )she's just so easy. (the bike - not the girlfriend ) :eek:

I thought I was misguided about liking the 6.5 - Looks like I am not alone :cool:

Despite having a great 11.5 I keep coming back to this bit of the the forum. Ah those were the days.......

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

timolgra said:

Ha lightweight - even a Funduro can be slung around on green lanes better than an R1XXXGS... how do I know... done it with both , but still think the R11 is the better option for long hauls.

Saying that we may be taking a brace of '94 Funduros to the Stella this year for the crack :)

Grazoid said:
Ha lightweight - even a Funduro can be slung around on green lanes better than an R1XXXGS... how do I know... done it with both , QUOTE]

Me too, but just because a 650 can be 'slung around green lanes better than a R1xxxGs doesn't make it a great bike without faults. These days my 650 Dakar is my offroad bike and lets face it, it's too dam boring to use on fast roads ;)

I find my 1150 Adv better balanced on the dirt than my Dakar. Obviously heavier and therefore more restricted in where it can go, but suprisingly able. The 650 though lighter never felt as 'easy' on the trails. A tendency for the front end to be too light and wayward.

Both of course are one or two leagues below the G/Ss off road capabilities.

What's a fast road?

timolgra said:
Grazoid said:
Ha lightweight - even a Funduro can be slung around on green lanes better than an R1XXXGS... how do I know... done it with both , QUOTE]

Me too, but just because a 650 can be 'slung around green lanes better than a R1xxxGs doesn't make it a great bike without faults. These days my 650 Dakar is my offroad bike and lets face it, it's too dam boring to use on fast roads ;)

What's a fast road?

"Too dam boring to use on fast roads"... if you pick your roads it's (F650 Dakar with Wilbers suspension and a 19" front wheel) more fun than an R1!

Back
Top Bottom