NTL Broadband limit

had a look at the webcam it seems to update every 4 secs

So I guess that is 15 times a min
which would be 21600 times a day

so for 1Gbyte I guess if the pic size is > 46K then you may have a problem this is of course assumes you are on the residential plan that is affected and that you do no other stuff on the net.
Of course you do use the internet for other things like this BB.

I'll leave it to others to check the numbers - this is too much like effort for a Sunday

Of course you are uploading the web cam data so different rules may apply to the report on the beeb. If so my bet would be even more restrictive than download - best to check with others on ntl or read the small print.

Me I don't care as I have the plusnet version of the BT package and my speed test just got this...

Downstream
470 Kbps (58.8 KB/sec)
507 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Upstream
244 Kbps (30.5 KB/sec)
263 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Your webcam is a server & is not downloading anything. Other people download from you.

Simon M said:
Your webcam is a server & is not downloading anything. Other people download from you.
Yeah , does ntl have a limit on that ? ie uploading
I have just seen that ntl are also banning the use of VPNs ouch.
I know of several folks who will feel that pain.

Bakes,

Once you watch over 2 1/2 hours of streaming video at 512k on a broadband connection, NTL will cut you off for the rest of the day! Not even any e-mail access fer chrissakes. You will have to wait until the next day before they will let you get back on-line again. As Simon pointed out, your webcam doesn't stream in, so you should be OK.

Please forgive me Bakes as we don't really know each other, but I've been dying to say this "hello you TOSSER" :D :D :D

Malky: Eeks! that VPN ban is quite frightning. I've only just got mine working. All that swearing for nothing:) . I'm with BT, luckily as NTL don't do broadband in my area.

NTHELL are a shambles of a telco who have been on the brink of going bust for as long as I can remember.

Anyone in business relying on the for web services should look at their disaster recovery plans PDQ.

I can't do the maths on Pilbury's query but one thing is for certain - don't leave it to NTL to do the sums for you.

It defines the one gigabyte limit as equivalent to "200 music tracks, 650 short videos, 10,000 pictures or around 100 large software programmes downloaded per day".

One music track (MP3 at defualt compression) = 4-6MB approx

x 200 = 800MB - 1.2GB = Reasonable accuracy

One large software program (say MS Office) = 150MB-250MB

x 100 = 15GB - 25GB = Hello is there anybody there????

:confused:

Anyone in business relying on the for web services should look at their disaster recovery plans PDQ.
having "been inside" I would bet that some of them won't have heard of a DCP and those that have will never find it or if they do they'll find many fragments of DCPs pieced together to form a piece of long italian pasta (tangled)

Here's a party trick - get a few ntl customers together ask them what they think of customer service. Watch them get really upset re-living past events. Of course this is purely anecdotal but hey it works, try it. But be prepared to force much beer down their necks inorder to get them to chill the hell out.
Of course some customers are well chuffed as they get services and don't actually ever have to pay for them, but then billing is another story.

More NTL Stuff from http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

another statement from the ntl:home Managing Director. This statement addresses many of the questions that people have been seeking answers to over the weekend.

The main thing raised by this Q&A session appears to be the measuring period used:
3. How flexible will ntl be about these new limits?

We will be very flexible. Our objective is only to limit very frequent or persistent heavy network use that can impact other customers. Therefore we will ONLY contact customers who exceed the daily data limit for three or more days in any consecutive 14-day period.

If you occasionally exceed your data limit, it will not be a problem. Remember our goal is to give freedom and easy usage to our customers. This rule ensures that you have peace of mind and that we are able to reduce the unfair prolonged usage by a small number.

So as long as you do not exceed 1GB (Giga Byte) on 3 seperate days in a two week period, then you are fine. Interestingly this is different to allowing a 14GB limit in the 2 week period, for example a user with a 1Mbps service could download 10GB on two days, and if they stay under the 1GB limit the other days, they would stay within the limits (a total of ~31GB of data). The unfortunate user who perhaps exceeds the 1GB limit to say 1.25GB on four days but stays under 1GB for all the other days is potentially affected (a total of ~14GB). Taking the mean total download per day over the 14 day period would appear to be fairer.

The good news is that NTL are looking at the position of users on the 1Mbps service, as to whether they deserve a higher bandwidth limit. Interestingly NTLs average broadband user only consumers 100 MegaBytes of bandwidth a day

Back
Top Bottom