BMW motorcycle protective clothing

Tsiklonaut

GS pervert
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After last crash thinking about taking some additional loan for higher quality clothing.

Was thinking about eighter BMW or Rukka, because these are the only clothing manufactures having very bright tones avalable. After trip to Iran in august month i never want fully black clothing.

So, has anyone got experiences on:

BMW Savannah 2
BMW Rally 2

Was thinking about Savannah jacket (cheaper, Rally 2 jacket is ferking expensive!) combining them with Rallye pants (bright coloured, Savannah pants are black). For cold wether just puting something under them (warm underwerar), for rain there's always rain suite for us to put on.

Any thoughts about this combination? Found some cost effective BMW clothing on eBay.

Also there are BMW Santiago, Tourance and Streetguard i'm not familiar with. Streetguard seems just good for these conditions (hot summers, very cold autums) judging from the specs, but it's helluva expensive too.

Also what do you reckon on BMW System 5 helmet? Good compared with Schuberth C2? The price is same, but System 5 seems to be a newer model, with Bluetooth com which is highly appriciated afer i broked cables on both previous helmets on every travel we did past two years rendering coms with cables unpractical on enduro-travelling.

Cheers, Margus

Few pics from last ones that are full of holes now:

Attachments

• Cloth.jpg
    Cloth.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 2,625
Personally I use Rukka gear. Reason is I can't be bothered to faff with goretex liners etc. Rukka gear has a goretex outershell so you don't need a liner and all the pockets are waterproof. Also, the armour is breathable in Rukka gear leaving less hotspots on your body.

The System 5 helmet is bloody fantastic. Best helmet I have ever used.

Like you, I can't stand black motorcycling clothing nor with our apparent obsession with it. I can see that it doesn't show the dirt but that's all.

After riding accross the US in 2002 - Death Valley 115f - I vowed never again to get overheated when riding. So far the best clothing I've come across is -

1. Arai Sz/m open face helmet - white
2. FirstGear armoured mesh jacket - hi-viz yellow - with waterproof liner. I've yet to try the liner in heavy rain but the jacket is brilliant in hot weather.
3. H-G Toureg armoured summer trousers - light grey - with extra side vents to allow cool air in and hot, sweaty air out. Very comfortable.
4. Olympia gel gloves, yellow, pretty minimal protection but gel on palms helps dampen the vibrations.

I hope this helps.

Mouse said:
Remember that the bluetooth kit for the System 5 helmet costs as much as the helmet itself.

Really? :eek: Oh... Then it's forgotten. Typical BMW's selling-strategy?

I've always used the BMW kit.....after all you're wearing the stuff to fall off your bike and remain in one piece. My clothes were picked for the climate and riding that I would be doing. ie: 99% English weather, shed loads of miles all year round. I have the tourguard jacket (streetguard with proper pockets) and voyager 2 trousers, because the removable braces make a hell of a difference in the cold & wet IMO. I wanted trousers that I could fit over my work trousers if I wanted. All the clothing has the Goretex on the outer layer, so it dries quicker and doesn't get heavy when wet. The black BMW clothing has hi vis reflective patches that work fantastically in the dark.
And... to top it all, BMW has 2 year replacement warranty.... just drop into any BMW dealer to sort it.
For the really hot weather (ie not very often), I have Triumph Raptor jacket and gloves and Joe Rocket mesh trousers. Sorted!!!! :D

Mouse said:
Remember that the bluetooth kit for the System 5 helmet costs as much as the helmet itself.

Actually, it's £30 cheaper than the helmet!!!! :eek

mine should arrive on Thursday...can't wait!!!! hehehe :bounce1

I'd look for something with built in goretex and NOT the zip in liner on the Savannah and Rally gear. There are no waterproof pockets as a result which is a real pain the ass.

Hi Margus
I'm kind of surpirsed that no one has mentioned Hein Gericke gear yet . If you don't know them up in Estonia you shoudl check them out when you get to Germany. They have shops all over the place and they have gear for all budgets. The Tuareg range is a popular GSer uniform and they have a lot of non-black combinations. It's about a third of the price of BMW or Rukka and for my mind it's as good as both especially if you buy the higher priced Hein Gericke gear. even their high proce is less than half BMW and Rukka prices !!
I recently picked up a grey black two piece shelltex (like goretex) suit with armour for Euro 175 at Hein Gericke in Aachen.
Cheers
Gecko

BMW Gear

Bought a Tourguard jacket and pants in June this year and despite lack of colour choice is great gear if a little expensive. Wear mine daily having now done 8000 miles in it come rain or shine. Stayed dry and as cool as is realistic sat on top of a hot engine.

System 5 helmet is my first flip front lid and once got over the pain of breaking it in seems to be doing a good job. Not sure about bluetooth kit, lot of cash and would rather wait to see who else comes to market with similar gear?

Gecko said:
Hi Margus
I'm kind of surpirsed that no one has mentioned Hein Gericke gear yet . If you don't know them up in Estonia you shoudl check them out when you get to Germany. They have shops all over the place and they have gear for all budgets. The Tuareg range is a popular GSer uniform and they have a lot of non-black combinations. It's about a third of the price of BMW or Rukka and for my mind it's as good as both especially if you buy the higher priced Hein Gericke gear. even their high proce is less than half BMW and Rukka prices !!
I recently picked up a grey black two piece shelltex (like goretex) suit with armour for Euro 175 at Hein Gericke in Aachen.
Cheers
Gecko

Gecko,

cheper options always appriciated. But are they good too from quality?

Previously i used UK made Evolution Motorcycle Clothing, they did their job well, but after the crash they are completely wrecked - look the pic above, so i guess it isn't that quality aferall? They were relatively cheap though.

I'm guessing the known companies such as Rukka and BMW make a bit more quality stuff?

Any "crash testing" on Hein-Gericke?

You may struggle to get both of these (rally 2 and Savannah) as they are being replaced with different designs or colours. If you are avarage build you might be ok there may be stuff in dealers. Also savannah is more expensive than rally 2 as you have to buy the linings on top of the jacket.

Sadjim said:
You may struggle to get both of these (rally 2 and Savannah) as they are being replaced with different designs or colours. If you are avarage build you might be ok there may be stuff in dealers. Also savannah is more expensive than rally 2 as you have to buy the linings on top of the jacket.

To buy from dealers seems quite a bit expensive i now realise. I've searched eBay and seen some bit used BMW clothing kits, maybe worth a shot...

Also some people even sell new BMW clothing there, hoses and jackets are usually both about 100euros cheaper than from BMW dealer. Brand new System 5 helmet is 400EUR for example just saw on eBay, while some dealers sell it around 450EUR, looks like dealers obviously are more expensive.

Look for 2005 model clothes as the 2006 clothes are moving in and deals can be had on this 'old' gear. The Savanna II is phased out as the new Santiago suit moves in the dealerships. As this happens they will go for a lot less money. They are on sale here in the US, so I hope in Europe too.
I used the Savanna II this past summer and rode through the Mojave Desert at 107 F 44+ C temps and it worked fine with the cool vest underneath.
I like it a lot as it is well built. The new Santiago has a bit of a better fit but the color I saw was dark grey/black and is more money. Rukka is great gear too, as is Rev'it ,made in Holland.
Good shopping! :D

Margus,

Looking at your gear I'd say it fared pretty well - all non-leather stuff is designed to abrade in a crash, especially one from 70 mph. The fact that it didn't go through to skin (I'm assuming here) is testament to its working as it should. My partners gore-tex jacket was worn (but usable, albeit manky-looking) after a 20 mph spill on tarmac.

I'd recommend Dainese goretex stuff if you can get it at a good price.

Ride safe,

Jason

Tsiklonaut said:
Any "crash testing" on Hein-Gericke?

If you can get the current issue of Ride magazine there is a test on all weather gear.

Savannah 2

Just bought a Savannah 2 off ebay for £210. It was brand new unused and included goretex liners for jacket and pants.

Seems so far to be water resistant but is a little chilly and a fleece underneath will be de rriguer as winter comes closer.

The thing is full of ventilation zips so cooling down is easy.

gcp said:
If you can get the current issue of Ride magazine there is a test on all weather gear.

Item called Cruise, £249 jacket, £199 for trousers.

Got a score of 51/55, only beaten by Halvarssons Safety which got 54/55 but costs exactly double.

No BMW kit in this test.

Hein Gericke

Got to pick up on that earlier message re Hein Gericke; First gear I ever bought was HG because I was near a factory shop and got the stuff cheap. When I thought it had worm out I got all stylish and snooty, worked my way through three Dianese jackets; Alpine stars boots and gloves; Spyke etc. Damned if I didn't get the old HG stuff out again last winter (voyager jacket, pole position trousers) and find it was still better than the expensive stylish stuff and am still wearing it now.

Course I started out on a Diversion 600 went through a 1200 Bandit, T595 and RSV mille before ending up on the GS 2 years ago through the same time period (and turned 40) so maybe I'm generally just becoming wiser and less vain. :spin

Back
Top Bottom