Motorrad, A question of Insurance.

Schwarz Baron

Reaction score
Just a word of caution

A friend of mine left his bike up to Motorrad the other day, for a service, and had a lone bike booked for a test. Nothing strange about that, as I think many of us do it this way. However he had the where- with- all to check the small print, on the insurance forms, after getting the usual, 'Sign this, it's just to do with the insurance'.
On checking the small print, he discovers in words similar, or to that effect' I declare that I have fully comprehensive insurance to ride this bike'. Now, the answer was 'yes', I have fully comp insurance, for my own bike but not to ride anyone elses, that'll only be 3rd party. The service managers answer then after consulting with Jim was,' No in that case then you can't have it'.
Well stick me in a corner and paint me purple if I'm wrong, but it would be the first time that I have ever heard of anyone's insurance companies, fully comp policy, being extended free gratus to ride another persons bike, without paying an extortionate extra fee. The staff members answer to my friend was apparently, well those with BM insurance are able to do it.
Not that I doubt the truth of that last statement, but take that lone bike up the road, and dump it, and no-one else involved. I think you'll find you'll be faced with 'you bend it you mend it, and perhaps permission withdrawn to ride the damn thing, because you haven't got the correct level of cover you said and signed to say you had to ride it. Then, up comes a charge of TADA. Now having taken a lone bike in the past, when I heard this, shivers ran down my spine. Oops!!!!
Anyone care to comment, or correct me, I'm hoping I'm wrong....

:nono :nono :nono

I have BMW Insurance and it only covers 3rd party for other bikes. A few years ago a friend took a BMW Car out for a test drive in Glasgow and basically wrapped it round a lampost - same thing - they said it was his responsibility for insurance, he ended up with an 8k bill...

For the last 12 months Rydale in Cardiff have charged £10 per day for a service loan bike. However, the excess payable if you damage the bike is no longer £1000.

According to Crampie they have had a few incidents where people refused to pay the £1000 excess when they issued free loan bikes.

Demo rides are still free as are warranty loan bikes. No doubt these are financed by BMW not the dealer.

When i got the 1200 out for a test ride from Hursts... they said that i had a £500 quid excess on the bike when i signed the form.

Now that said when i first rung up they said i needed fully comp on their bike..so i thought about getting it changed over for a day and couldn't be bothered with the hassle and possible charge by my insurance company.

But i changed my mind about a month later and rung up again to book a test ride...i asked if i need to get my insurance transfered over and they said no as long as i was fully comprehensive and had third party cover to ride another bike that would be ok..but there would be a £500 charge if the bike was damaged.

When i went up to Hursts i asked again about three times just to make sure there was no catch to this...i even asked if there was a "catch" and the young guy said no. i have to say i only quickly scanned the sheet i signed...but i did ask enough times that no one could have misinterpreted my question on cover...
so i went out rode the 1200 and brought it back in one piece...
i would hate to think that i was lied to by BMW staff...maybe some of them can clear the questions up.

if i was lied too...to say the least i wouldn't be a happy bunny

In my head I took the 1200 out on the grounds that if i was unlucky and i did total the bike £500 was the max i was going to be out...i could live with that cost...but not if i had to pay the cost of a new bike.

This link appeared over on UKRM yesterday. Cheesy Mike has posted it in a separate thread too:

http://www.dayinsure.com/ short term insurance for cars & bikes.

Cover UK inc NI & IOM. From £10.50 per day, 1-7 days.

You can arrange cover on the spot by phoning them or logging onto the website.

I haven't used the service so here's the link to Mike's post http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54452 just in case someone replies with feedback about the service.

BMW's own Insurance scheme WILL cover loan bikes for it's own Insurance customers FOC. All we need to do is phone BMW (on the day of the service) to tell them the registration number of the loan bike and they usually ask to speak to the customer. I think the bike has to be the same or a lower class but they will provide up to 3 days cover for nothing. At the moment we charge £12 per day to those of our customers without BMW Insurance, this covers the rider fully comp for a 24 hr period with a £250 excess - one chap recently had a bad smash on our ST (it was written off - he was ok) and it cost him just £250 (pretty much the same as if it had been any other policy.

wessie said:
For the last 12 months Rydale in Cardiff have charged £10 per day for a service loan bike. However, the excess payable if you damage the bike is no longer £1000.

According to Crampie they have had a few incidents where people refused to pay the £1000 excess when they issued free loan bikes.

Demo rides are still free as are warranty loan bikes. No doubt these are financed by BMW not the dealer.

Nope, loan bikes supplied for warranty work or demos are paid for by the Dealer.

I don't like the way..no one from Hursts has replied on this subject..or told anyone else the answer about insurance. it's not like they haven't been on the forum.

so i would be interested to hear what they have to say

at the moment their lack of reply speaks volumes to me

TUNED IN said:
I don't like the way..no one from Hursts has replied on this subject..or told anyone else the answer about insurance. it's not like they haven't been on the forum.

so i would be interested to hear what they have to say

at the moment their lack of reply speaks volumes to me

MMmmmm :(

I think I'll phone bmw insurance and ask for the transfer of cover next time I get a loan bike as the excess is 1,000 for damage on a GS1200 or 500 on a 650GS at Prestige as well...but it is clearly marked on the forms so no misunderstandings can take place...

I'm still interested in an answer about the insurance question....

Was i insured at all now i wonder.... apart from my own 3rd party cover that is?

Has any of you how have been in Hursts and had test rides queried this?

My understanding was that you signed to say that you had full comp. cover for the demo. bike and if you hadn't then you were liable for any damage. i.e. bend it and either fix it or buy it!
Bigmixer

You are the first person out of about 30 who have said that. Everyone I've spoken to was gobsmacked!

Bigmixer said:
My understanding was that you signed to say that you had full comp. cover for the demo. bike and if you hadn't then you were liable for any damage. i.e. bend it and either fix it or buy it!
Bigmixer

My original point to all this, was the way it was put across to my friend, ie, 'Here sign this, its just to do with insurance, it's nothing to worry about'. He read the small print, luckily, where many of us wouldn't, and haven't. Instead relying on the implied statement from our professional dealer. Many of us assume we are signing to the fact we have insurance to cover the loan bike, which we do, but not to the fully comprehensive standard that is apparently required from BMW or the local dealer. In my opinion small print it should not be, as it is a very rare extra ordinary requirement, and to be put across in such a blase unprofessional and sloppy fashion, is disgraceful.
Given the rarity of such cover in the insurance world being permitted, as previously stated, free gratus, do we not think in this case, the opening statement from the lender should be.'Now sir, you do realise that BMW require fully comprehensive cover by your insurance company, if not you cannot have our bike for the day.(Given that this is a very rare, if not totally unheard of requirement by any other vehicle dealer.)
Discuss!!!!

Insurance Cover

I recently insured my bike and Having read Schwartz's Post it concerned me A LOT as I had been looking forward to a couple of Test rides
on speaking to a member of staff they told me that NO company :eek: that they use to insure bikes covered anyone for Test rides (They will not transfer your policy onto a Test bike) the member of staff said it was a very grey matter but stressed that the dealer ships had their own Fleet ins on the bikes and should not require you to use your own,but the excess on them was Very High, they even stated that should you want to Test Drive a car your own insurance company wouldn't neccesssarily cover you so Be Careful Out there it could cost YOU Big Buck's.
The company concerened have said they have spoken to various M/C dealerships about this Dilema with no agreement on the matter.

Regd's K

What about folk who don't have a bike and are considering a BMW??? Spend 10k without a test ride I wouldn't think so!!!

Hi Marcus

just saw your post, same member of staff told me of a man who had wanted to buy one couldn't get sorted locally was allegedly refused a test ride because he didn't have Insurance but went across the water to an English Outlet got a test ride and came back with the New toy.
All I can advise is Check with your Insurance Broker for peace of mind

Regd's K

Bigmixer said:
Bigmixer

Bigmixer i don't know if you are refering to me or schwarz baron's mate i don't know if you work for Hursts or not.

But what i am 100% sure of is... that i clearly stated that i had fully comp insurance and third party cover for any other bike and stated that the last time i asked about getting a 1200 out for a test ride they said i would have to get it changed over to cover the 1200.

i was told that my cover was fine and i didn't need to change anything over.

i was also told that there was a £500 excess on any accident or damage to the bike.

I did ask about three maybe four times about the cover and that whatever went wrong the most i would have to pay was £500 before i signed the sheet of paper.

I want to state their was no ambiguity by me on the cover i had and the cover i would have if i signed the paper.

i would not have stepped on the bike if i had to pay any more than the stated £500 excess.

I still don't know if i had cover or not.

No one from Hursts has yet answered the question which i asked

A simple was i covered or not?

I'm now wondering why I have no answer

Have any of the rest of you had test rides and what were you told about your Insurance cover?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

TUNED IN said:
Bigmixer i don't know if you are refering to me or schwarz baron's mate i don't know if you work for Hursts or not.

But what i am 100% sure of is... that i clearly stated that i had fully comp insurance and third party cover for any other bike and stated that the last time i asked about getting a 1200 out for a test ride they said i would have to get it changed over to cover the 1200.

i was told that my cover was fine and i didn't need to change anything over.

i was also told that there was a £500 excess on any accident or damage to the bike.

I did ask about three maybe four times about the cover and that whatever went wrong the most i would have to pay was £500 before i signed the sheet of paper.

I want to state their was no ambiguity by me on the cover i had and the cover i would have if i signed the paper.

i would not have stepped on the bike if i had to pay any more than the stated £500 excess.

I still don't know if i had cover or not.

No one from Hursts has yet answered the question which i asked

A simple was i covered or not?

I'm now wondering why I have no answer

Have any of the rest of you had test rides and what were you told about your Insurance cover?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

You're startin to shout Gary, frustration me thinks! :spitfire :spitfire

Back
Top Bottom