the "gollem" project or a piece of SHIT on wheels

ricardo kuhn

Reaction score
about a year ago I got a R11 S(the sport bike) and I decide to make it into a GS,I don't have much money or a place to work so Is really difficult to make serius upgrades, one thing I can tell you is this "think" is awesome, so fast ,so much lighter(about 70 pounds) and very fun .
the 21" front wheel helps and I'm making a 18" rear(ussing a front rim from a R11 R will see.
for now I show you some battle photos
death valley resting, you see the mountain in the back, we just got down 3000 feet drop
24226-Medium.jpg
i Little power slide going wrong,,I almost crash on TODD the photograper.
16396-Medium.jpg

Taking a little bath.
16393-Medium.jpg

after all the fun she is tyred and hungry for GaS
16398-Medium.jpg

NOTE:the wheel on those photos is the 19" not the 21".........the 21" help a lot on soft stuff and is not that bad on the road,great upgrade.

i think the later

yep its got to be a piece of sh>>t on wheels
looks like it ran over a bloody mine field dance pize

Re: i think the later

jonb adventure said:
yep its got to be a piece of sh>>t on wheels
looks like it ran over a bloody mine field dance pize

do you mean JUMP over a mine field????

I don't really care how she looks,I know is ugly,those not matter, I'm sitting on top of her, and ussually the only thing people get to see, are the dual pipes comming from the back. someday she will be like this
15885-Medium.jpg

or like this when really loaded
15886-Medium.jpg

this is the basic concept for the rear sub frame and shock layout,the bike those not let you mount a longer travel shock, so you need to "convince" her the hard way
15884-Medium.jpg

Piece of shit or not I ride it ,,,I log in ,about 22,000milles in about ONE year,many of them in the dirt, or at least at "full tilt bogie"

ricardo your right

yep
looks like it could jump over a mine field rather than ride over it
good luck with your project
keep the pictures coming
regards jon b:hide

Hey Ricardo, I think I've seen you on this bike. Have you taken it across the Bay Bridge (West bound) during the morning commute? - (Or something similar).

18" wheel?

Hi Ricardo,

about the wheelconversion, is there enough space available to put in an 18" rearwheel?
I've seen some gs'es here with a 21" frontwheel, but all use the original 17" ....

btw nice bike, reminds me of my Dominator!

Re: 18" wheel?

Zwerver said:
Hi Ricardo,

about the wheel conversion, is there enough space available to put in an 18" rearwheel?
I've seen some gs'es here with a 21" frontwheel, but all use the original 17" ....

btw nice bike, reminds me of my Dominator!

YOu are totally RIGHT, the swing arm specially on the 11 S is really tight,so is not space unless you "play" with it,(I'm modifiing one from a old 95 ' GS to be able to run it on the golllem monster.

I already did all the clearance study on the old swing arm and the wheel will fit,with a "chunky" tyre and everything.

but is a few problems to it, the rim is very narrow,so wide tyres are not a option, so I don't know about the street handling ,I think I will run a tube tyre with "rim locks".

one thing I did not belive on the 21" at first and now I LOVE IT,I have 3 rims build for my bikes and I'm building wheels for a few people.

the way I see it ,somebody need to do this experiments for the benefit of the community ,and I'm willing and able, maybe will not work at all, but I think it will.

In the long term I hope to have the oportunity to make a longer swing arm(very difficult) shaft,and other things make it very complex and expensive.

I promise I keep you post it.

I have the rim already, I need to get the hub, make all the mearurements and then try to get the data from my "wheel smith spoke calculator'(bicycle tool)to get the spokes, i did the calculation for the 21" rim and they came in about 1 MM from the BMW spoke, so I'm sure the calculator will work again...

I tell you more later.

twenty one inch wheels RULE !!!!!

all thanks to this guy call BAFANA,from holland (I think)

Re: Re: i think the later

ricardo kuhn said:

this is the basic concept for the rear sub frame and shock layout,the bike those not let you mount a longer travel shock, so you need to "convince" her the hard way
15884-Medium.jpg

Doesn't the shock get rather hot with the exhaust running either side?

Re: Re: Re: i think the later

Howard Millichap said:
Doesn't the shock get rather hot with the exhaust running either side?

the shock will be mounted on a "motocross" fashion,(like on the blue bike) on the side of the bike,what way I have enoff "wheel well" and I don't need to have the seat super high, to clear all that crap.

I have some more drawing using a simpler "rissing rate" link(imagine a dirt bike suspension,but UP side DOWN,solid mount at the bottom swing arm, but link at the top.)

Is a shame,I have the imagination, and the energy, but I lack the "crunching number" capable mind, and the resourses to afford all that fabrication..

life is changing, maybe soon the project wiill start,

if somebody here have a better understanding of suspension,please help me out,feed back is always apreciated,and more than welcome....

Back
Top Bottom