1970's Claud Butler 'Majestic'

Butler

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone can help me.....

I have a 1978 Claud Butler racing bike.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for parts?

I need a complete chainset with bottom bracket, deraileurs front and back and the levers.

If there is a suitable shop in Kent/ East Sussex or SE London that you know of?

Thanks

Butler.

You were the one who walked out, I'm keeping the parts.

Claud.

Thanks for the site Mark.

And RiverKing.................
I've found someone else and I'm very happy, you were such a bully....always making me cry, all I wanted was a happy life.......

I have a hand made Condor racing bike built in the 1960s for a friend. By the 1980s he left it out for the dustman and I rescued it, had the frame repainted and rode it daily for a few years. It's not been ridden for some years now, so my question is, are these old quality bikes worth the time and money restoring them? So many things such as wheels, tyres, gears, etc have changed since those days. Good money after bad, or not?

You should do well trailing a post or two on the uk.rec.cycling newsgroup; the whole community of which has this very 70's toe clips feel to it (with a smattering of come-lately types pedaling their globe-trotting Bromptoneer credentials).

Attachments

• cycle types.jpg
    cycle types.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 523
Unless you are passionate about the bike its not worth the money and the hassle. if a 531 or similar frame it may be well to get it checked out first for rot in the tubes etc. It really is false economy trying to renovate a bike unless it is a limited edition or has some special value. Argos in Bristol are just about the best real world finishers but others will charge more for the same service. parts may be harder to get but plenty of classic bike jumbles about and look in the back of cycling weekly for info. Even place and add and see what you get. Send me the add and i can place it on the BCF website as i have a racing licence and hence access to the sales service of british cycling

ANDY

ROAD BIKES

...don't dump a Condor, Paul. I have a Fredy Ruegg, Swiss built, date stamped 2 5 79, favourite machine.

Steel is Real.

Ive use to have a Dave Russell and my Dad has a Cluad Butler both must be over35 years old... My Dad still rides has both bikes and the ride in a way that only a well made steel frame can.

My current road bike is a 653 with Ultegra which is around 13 years old and it's a dream to ride.

Just brought an 853 framed mountain bike with full XTR and other nice stuff like a carbon post... lovely

Nearly forgot... also got a Columbus Max farmed single speed mountain bike also a dream to ride.

Did I say Steel is Real

Thanks for all the information and comments.
It's good to get an outside view as I'm not as clued up as you people out there.

Back
Top Bottom