Ferries Moroco??? Help

bushboy

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just a quick one re ferries from Spain to Moroco.
What are my best options? looking to travel dec 21 ish return Jan 03 ish.

Had a look on the net, heaps to look at but word of mouth the best.

Any help would be great.
Looking to spend Xmas/New Years in Saraha and around that neck of the woods.

Any help would be great.

Cheers all

Bushboy.

http://www.trasmediterranea.es

http://www.euroferrys.com

Most people take the Algeciras to Ceuta crossing. Buy your ticket when you get to Algeciras, there's no advantage of buying in advance or from any of the ticket offices at motorway service stops. Ceuta is still part of Spain, you then cross into Morocco at Fnediq, see http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44332.

Other options are to land at Mellia (also part of Spain) or Tanger (in Morocco).

Are you riding down all the way through France? I see the Plymouth-Santander route isn't active that time of year.

Tim

Tim,

Cheers for the info, inbound into Bilbao on 19th dec so all looking good. got 2 weeks to explore and so looking forward to it all.

Really just asking what other people have done and what is the best option.

Will see what other feedback I get. If as good as yours then will have all info to hand.

Again

Cheers

Bushboy

AKA Casey

Hi Casey, not sure about the ferries but we'll be over there on the 1st to start riding down to Gambia on the scooters so might see you for a beer or two if you manage to find us. :beer: :bounce1 :bounce1

Depends on your route...

Do have a think about where you want to go within Morocco, because although distances can look similar on a map, the actual time taken to reach certain destinations can vary tremendously depending which route you take.

For instance, although these distances look just the same, it takes you a lot longer to reach Fes from Cueta, than Mellila (Nador).

So I'd say decide on where you really want to spend time within Morocco, then re-look at the ferries.

Oh, and I agree with the previous post, especially when travelling with a bike, there's no real need to book.

Paul G

I'd have a look at the high speed ferry from Tarifa (about 10 miles from Algerciras) to Tangier.

Greg

Greg Masters said:
I'd have a look at the high speed ferry from Tarifa (about 10 miles from Algerciras) to Tangier.

Greg

Also Tarifa is a great place to spend an evening. ;) ;)

We did the Tarifa-Tangier crossing.

Totally trouble free, and very quick. Normal bit of pestering on the Maroc side, but it's no real problem!

As has been said... Tarifa is a nice place to spend the evening too.

Will

Tarifa is even better if you have a windsurf :D

if you take trip into Gib visit the Gibraltar bikers club they have a few beds ava free of charge to Bikers I think

before you get into Gib on the right is a good chinese (la linea) park the bikes in a very safe place like in Gib and walk back across the border

I did a trip to Morocco just before Christmas a few years ago, using the Portsmouth-Bilbao crossing. The ferry's good, but the trip down through Spain was a bit of a killer. Very windy (on a fully-loaded Africa Twin that's no joke-blown across both lanes of the motorway a couple of times) and blinking cold around Madrid . Stayed in a cheapie hostel on the way down and was glad of a down-filled sleeping bag! Great cheap hotels and food in Estepona though before crossing over from Algeciras to Tangier and Ceuta-on balance Ceuta was less hassle. No trouble really, but was stopped by the cops for a documents check (they wanted to see a green card even though you dont need one in Spain, your standard insurance covers it). Tatoine was ok as a first place to stop, Fes was great-would definitely go there again but Morocco is a lot bigger than it looks, and unleaded is hard to find if you're really out in the sticks! The people are great though, once you get used to the hassle. While you're in Spain, make sure you do the Marbella/Ronda road-truly an awesome bit of tarmac.

Yes, I'd forgotten about the wind - don't discount it. Our return journey, which was along Spain's southern coast towards Barcelona, and which we did in early Jan, was dreadful with extremely strong gusts blowing us all over the road.

There's good reason that all the hills along the coast are covered in those huge wind generators....

Back
Top Bottom