Garmin Quest, which bike bracket?

MIKE R

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just bought a Quest and am now investigating how to attach it to my bikes.

Is there a decent bracket that can be used on the 1150 and 1200?

If I have to buy 2 brackets, I like the look of the Motorrad Concept's small bracket for the 1200. Any user opinion on these?

I saw an 1150 with the GPS mounted on the clutch hydraulic reservoir. Who supplies these and are they recommended?

Many thanks

Mike R

I use a RAM mount, with the Garmin powered cradle, this system could be used for both bikes, with just the RAM arm left in place.
I put a plug onto the power lead, and use it in the beak socket.

Attachments

• quest 002.jpg
    quest 002.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 358
Doh! Mustn't forget my manners.
Thanks Mike for posting this. :thumb

Edit: Double doh! Wrong thread, but you get my drift.

MIKE R said:
...I saw an 1150 with the GPS mounted on the clutch hydraulic reservoir.

Mike, be careful if you plan to mount your GPSR anywhere that is off the centerline of the steering head of your moto. Although it might be easier to mount it off center, you run the risk of creating an unwanted steering input whenever you press a button on the GPSR. Considering that we usually have our heads down, looking at the GPSR, when we press the buttons, this can lead to problems.

I have used a lot of different GPSRs on my moto - in fact, I usually change models about twice a year. In every case, I always mount the thing so it is dead center on the handlebars. It's easier to see, and if I press buttons on it, no steering input is created.

I'm not saying flat out "don't do it" - I just want to make you aware of the downside of mounting the device off center. The farther out you mount it, the greater the effect of button pushes on the motorcycle's directional stability will be.

Michael

brassmonkey001 said:
Doh! Mustn't forget my manners.
Thanks Mike for posting this. :thumb

Edit: Double doh! Wrong thread, but you get my drift.

BRILLIANT! brassmonkey001.

Fair point Pan European. Hadn't thought of that. Thanks

Mike R

My Quest is mounted using a Ram mount & Garmin powered bracket. Though the leads are connected straight to the battery. The Ram mount is bolted to the bars just to the left of my Nippy Norman bar risers so that it's nearly central for viewing but I can easily press the buttons with my left hand whilst moving.

Works for me :thumb

I've found the powered RAM mount excellent. I also use it on my pushbike as it's so easy to transfer.

On the point of mounting it off centre and pressing buttons whilst moving surely that's a bit of a no-no? I deliberately mounted mine to the right of centre so I wouldn't be tempted to start pressing buttons whilst I was on the move. The fact I can't see any detail on the screen anyway without me glasses is also a deterrent :D

Seriously though, it seems a genuinely bad idea to start pissing about with the Quest whilst riding. Talk about not concentrating :eek:

Cheers

Dick

Tried the RAM mount and fount it to be less than perfect. Went to my local BMW shop and purchased the genuine BMW item that mounts centrally on the cross bar - the Quest mount fastens directly on, looks tidy - Now the best bit - The bracket cost a tenner - result :clap

Dellis
Was that a BMW part? do you have a part number, or was the £10 cost a one off, or do they have more, if so where
TIA

guitarman said:
On the point of mounting it off centre and pressing buttons whilst moving surely that's a bit of a no-no? I deliberately mounted mine to the right of centre so I wouldn't be tempted to start pressing buttons whilst I was on the move. The fact I can't see any detail on the screen anyway without me glasses is also a deterrent :D

Seriously though, it seems a genuinely bad idea to start pissing about with the Quest whilst riding. Talk about not concentrating :eek:

Cheers

Dick

I've done a good few thousand miles now with my setup and have had no problems, no near misses, no lapses in riding due to pressing a button, nothing. I find it to be quicker to press the zoom in or zoom out button on the Quest than it is to find my place on the map in my tankbag - I don't plug into the Quest to listen to directions, preferring to use the onscreen directions. Mind you I also don't use a mobile phone or Ipod whilst I'm riding so perhaps I just haven't exceeded my concentration limit yet.

That's how it works for me and I imagine a few others. You can stay in 'safe' mode so the Quest won't carry out certain functions whilst in motion but that's up to you.

Happy Questing.

Dellis said:
Tried the RAM mount and fount it to be less than perfect. Went to my local BMW shop and purchased the genuine BMW item that mounts centrally on the cross bar - the Quest mount fastens directly on, looks tidy - Now the best bit - The bracket cost a tenner - result :clap

To attach onto the cross bar when using the RAM handlebar mount is a shim adaptor RAP-319 which has been mentioned in the forum and costs £8 less.

RAM-man

Fitting problems???

Dellis said:
Dellis, my mate bought this set-up at the weekend, and we had a few problems with the supplied screws. Those provided with the cross-bar mount were too short to fasten the holder to the mount, and the screws that were supplied with the holder came with nylock nuts that were too big for the moulded inserts in the mount unit. After wasting time looking for nuts to fit the longer bolts, a bit of "persuasion" (and inverting the nyloc nuts) meant that we coaxed the unit together. The only other concern was the thickness of the power lead wires. These were VERY thin, and care had to be taken mounting direct to the battery as suggested in the instructions.
Looks fine on the bike, and seems to work OK, but the fitting location might be a problem with a tank bag. I believe total cost was around the £40 - £45, (could be wrong, but sounds right) and bought from Rainbow at Sheffield.

Thanks for all your replies. It has given me room for thought.

Cheers

Mike R

Back
Top Bottom