Nurburgring

paulm236

Has anyone tried the Nurburgring?

I quite fancy a trip there this summer. In doing some research though it looks like it can be quite hairy! I even found this pic of a GS performing some cornering acrobatics!!

Attachments

• whoops-adforst-bike1.jpg
    whoops-adforst-bike1.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 376
Wasn't me, but I did something similar when I couldn't make my mind up on the line at the Karussel.

Couldn't decide between the steep lower banking or the upper normal curve, and ended up doing a bit of both....

A brown adrenaline moment.....

Paul,

went there last September. I have only one piece of advice. Never, no matter what the temptation, put on a crash helmet that has a wasp in it......

MikeO:D

ps I'll PM you later with some excellent addresses to stay at locally

Great place - go every year at least once.
PM me for a couple of Hotels locally.
Wunderlich is 20 mins away.
I recommend Hotel Nordschleife @ Adenau.
You don't even have to get out of bed in the morning to see the cars and bikes,streaming down the hill and over the bridge.
It's really that close and the hotel has it's own entrance tot he track,next door.
Picture of Hotel.

Attachments

•  hotel nordscleiffe @ nurburgring circuit , eifel mountains , germany .oct 20011.jpg
    hotel nordscleiffe @ nurburgring circuit , eifel mountains , germany .oct 20011.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 354
JB, that's one of the places I was going to recommend - My mates stayed at the place opposite (across the gravel car park). I'll get the details off them tomorrow....

MikeO:)

Details are Edgar Mathey @ Hotel Nordschleife, Adenau

Tel
0049 2691 930158
Fax
0049 2691 930866
Edgar speaks good English and has garages, Bike workshop with ramps,plus good food and bar.
He also rides a black 1150GS.
Also in Adenau,there is a BMW main dealer - Schmidt, who also does Honda and Yamaha,plus some tasty Dainese gear

Go, go, go

Great place, albeit terrifying at weekends. THe Hotel Nordschliefe recommended by J Boxer is excellent but there are any number of good value pensions around the circuit.

A great resource is www.nurburging.org run by a brit called Ben Lovejoy.

You will tend to find that the place is a love hate environment, personally I love it but have many (including ex-racer) friends who hate it.

Unfortunately the last time I was there by the second lap two of our number had crashed one an R1 as you would expect, the other an 1100GS which you probably wouldn't. It is an unforgiving place, but fantastic at the same time. Best advice is to ride it like an unfamiliar B Road until you have a VERY clear idea about the circuit - 20 odd laps is a good start.

Oh and avoid a locally registered lime green Porsche 911, he is a nutter and treats bikes on his racing line as an infringement of his personal liberty.

Incidentally the guy who holds the official bike lap record, Helmut Dahne, (on an RC30, 7'49) favours his own R1100R around the circuit, or so he told me one night over a beer!

Have fun.
:beerjug:

Ben Lovejoy is a very helpful chap, who is quite happy to take you round the circuit in his Porsche - top bloke!

Mike O said:
Ben Lovejoy is a very helpful chap, who is quite happy to take you round the circuit in his Porsche - top bloke!

Does he hang out on a night in the bar of the posh Hotel (the one with all the racing memorobilia on the walls), the one diagonally opposite Schmidt's BMW

Not sure JB, I met him at the cafe terrace near the RingTaxi (my mate had been in touch with him for a few weeks planning the trip). He goes to the 'Ring every weekend from the UK. He buys new tyres every other weekend from a dealer in Germany (good place to own a tyre shop, I should've thought:D). He's a genuinely helpful bloke and will do anything to assist and advise someone who asks to organise a trip.

MikeO:thumb

Mike O said:
Not sure JB, I met him at the cafe terrace near the RingTaxi (my mate had been in touch with him for a few weeks planning the trip). He goes to the 'Ring every weekend from the UK. He buys new tyres every other weekend from a dealer in Germany (good place to own a tyre shop, I should've thought:D). He's a genuinely helpful bloke and will do anything to assist and advise someone who asks to organise a trip.

MikeO:thumb

Sounds like a different guy.
We met a real muppet,a British guy who lives out there and hangs around the bar in that hotel,usually pissed.
Andy and Sue stayed there,we nearly lamped him because he kept taking the piss out of us,being British and he kept pestering Sue with his unwanted attentions.
One of those TOSSERS who you try to avoid when abroad on your Hols.
He said he was linked to the Porsche club in UK or some Porsche drivers.

Next weekend I'll be at the ring, but I doubt if the it's the right
weather to go for a ride at the ring itself..
I'll be camping at the Camping am Ring, together with 1500 other
"idiots" at the Altes Elelfantentreffen...
If the roads are ok, I'll just go to Wunderlich for some coffee, and perhaps other goodies..

Thanks for all the tips and advice. Looks I'll definitelty try and get there later in the year. Pretty sure I'll stay at the Hotel Nordschleife - sounds great!

I go 4 or 5 times a year and will be there on May bank holiday. If any other fellow GS riders are there come and say hello and do a couple of lap's.
I'm the black 1150gs with R1100s wheels in front of the Fireblade etc etc.

JohnnyBoxer said:
Sounds like a different guy.

Definitely a different guy, Ben is a lovely bloke. Tends to wear a dodgy openface lid in his 968, but that's the only fault I've found so far. Also rides a ZX6R but not at the Ring anymore.

Ian Dowsett said:
I go 4 or 5 times a year and will be there on May bank holiday. If any other fellow GS riders are there come and say hello and do a couple of lap's.
I'm the black 1150gs with R1100s wheels in front of the Fireblade etc etc.

If you are talking early May bank holiday, I'll see you there. Still not decided whether its a blade or GS trip, though clearly on either one I'll be playing catch-up....;)

aet.jpg

Not a happy end this time :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom