Oh shit - £2500 for a new gearbox

Eurostar

My 1150 gearbox died a fortnight ago. It's been stripped and needs replacing with a new one. It's a 7 year old bike, without an extended warranty. So the box will cost £1500, plus labour of about a grand. Is there an easy way out of this, short of photocopying some £50 notes?

I'd certainly be tempted to give the likes of motorworks a try. They'll have a secondhand one I'm sure. It's then up to you to decide if you want to take the risk of using the secondhand one to save yourself a few bucks. I have to say Motorworks have always been good with the stuff I've ordered. The secondhand piston and cylinder I bought a while back were in mint condition and obviously from a very low mileage machine. I'm sure they will offer some sort of guarantee and may also have information regarding the bike the box came from.

If no luck with Steptoe, Motorworks lists a gearbox at £675.00. I believe they offer a gaurantee on seconhand boxes.

Fingers crossed for Steptoe first though.

Jon :)

steptoe...i got mine off him.. :thumb

put it like this ...i bet if you offered Steptoe £500 he would get you a box and have it fitted all in....

....and much as i hate to say it the man does some exceedingly good work for a Lundun Tosser

judge said:
I like the cut of your jib tooned :D

the commission just keeps rollin' in :)

Steptoe also does Green Shield Stamps

collect 50 and get a free oil change ;)

greenshield.jpg

Wahaaa missus -

I have a blue 1150 box ( from an 1150R, same box as GS ) - 6K miles ( i was keeping it as my very own spare, but needs must) .

But the 1150 box isn't as cheap as an 1100 i'm afraid , it'll cost £475 .

the fitting costs would have to be negotiated ;) but it's more than the labour for just replacing a clutch -

Contact me if you wish to discuss this further .

Steptoe said:
Wahaaa missus -

I have a blue 1150 box ( from an 1150R, same box as GS ) - 6K miles ( i was keeping it as my very own spare, but needs must) .

But the 1150 box isn't as cheap as an 1100 i'm afraid , it'll cost £475 .

the fitting costs would have to be negotiated ;) but it's more than the labour for just replacing a clutch -

Contact me if you wish to discuss this further .

Phew, sounds like a lifesaver - what's a good time for me to phone you tomorrow?

What shall I do with all the money I've 'saved'? More toys? Or hookers and coke?

Ask your dealer for an exchange price, I was quoted £700(ish) + Vat for an exchange 1100 gearbox a couple of years ago by Pidcocks.

I didn't know they were making 1150's 7 years ago :confused:

Eurostar said:
My 1150 gearbox died a fortnight ago. It's been stripped and needs replacing with a new one. It's a 7 year old bike, without an extended warranty. So the box will cost £1500, plus labour of about a grand. Is there an easy way out of this, short of photocopying some £50 notes?

Why cant it be fixed ?

Back
Top Bottom