Hertfordshire Green Lane Wombat Hunt and Ford Run - 20 November

Greg Masters

'Don't mess with me' Member
Mod Squad
Reaction score
OK, guys and girls

This will be a pogo-stick and BMW GS event taking in some of the more accessible Green Lanes in the Hertfordshire regions - nothing, in fact, that a well-ridden GS shouldn't be able to take in its stride.

We'll probably start at South Mimms services at around 09.30hrs and take in a spot of luncheon at a local pub en-route.

The event will take in a number of fords, including the awesome Standon Ford (click on thumbnail).

I reccéd this ford yesterday and, despite its canal-like appearance, should be well withing the abilities of a GS.

Let me know who's coming and what bike you'll be on.

Greg

Greg Masters said:
OK, guys and girls

This will be a pogo-stick and BMW GS event taking in some of the more accessable Green Lanes in the Hertfordshire regions - nothing, in fact, that a well-ridden GS shouldn't be able to take in its stride.

We'll probably start at South Mimms services at around 09.30hrs and take in a spot of luncheon at a local pub en-route.

The event will take in a number of fords, including the awesome Standon Ford (click on thumbnail).

I reccéd this ford yesterday and, despite its canal-like appearance, should be well withing the abilities of a GS.

Greg

would love to but date clashes with Bishops Finger II

Greg,
Do you think the GS's will need Knobblies for the lanes you have in mind ?

Cheers, Piggers

Greg Masters said:

Greg

Be warned depending on rain fall this particular ford can get to the point in November where it can only be attempted by vehicles with snorkels fitted. Have seen it up to the lower rail on the fence.

saying that tho... have fun cos' when it is as deep as the piccie all you need are a pair of Sealskinz to keep yet tootsies dry and spend all day ploughing back and forth... miss the roads and lanes around Sandon at the mo' as they where my "playground" . Don't have time when I get back at the weekends now.

Piggers said:
Greg,
Do you think the GS's will need Knobblies for the lanes you have in mind ?

Cheers, Piggers

I'll try to limit the route to lanes that you can do with ordinary road tyres, but that will depend to some extent on the weather in the week before.

I'll try to recce the entire route and at least give warning of any difficult terrain. Whatever, it'll be a fairly sedate pace.

Greg

Dahoum said:
Greg - Promise me it will not rain :thumb

Ken,

You know I can't promise that - besides, when you drop it in this ford you'll be wet anyway (and so will we - pissing ourselves!!!)

Greg

Greg Masters said:
I'll try to limit the route to lanes that you can do with ordinary road tyres, but that will depend to some extent on the weather in the week before.

I'll try to recce the entire route and at least give warning of any difficult terrain. Whatever, it'll be a fairly sedate pace.

Greg
I'll come on the reccy if you want.

It's in the diary now - hope to be there - may be on pogo but probably GS

How skilled??!!

Greg Masters said:
OK, guys and girls

This will be a pogo-stick and BMW GS event taking in some of the more accessible Green Lanes in the Hertfordshire regions - nothing, in fact, that a well-ridden GS shouldn't be able to take in its stride.

Greg

Hi Greg,

Would love to give it a go but as I have never been off road, riden a green lane and am a ford virgin (if that's the correct term) am a little nervous. Is the proposed route suitable for newbies as I do not want to slow down everybody else and spoil the day for all the other riders.

Would be on a 1150GS with Tourance.

Cheers

Glen

Standon Ford

Hi all.

I did this ford in the summer, on various weekends, and it was deep then. The water level is about the same height as the air itake on my ADV. so be careful. But i must add it is a great ride, you feel like you have conquered the world when you get to the other side.
There are 2 more fords a couple of miles up the same river on UCRs, i think the place name is Green End.
There is also one at Barwick. Just below Standon.

If its o.k i may tag along.

Tony allen :thumb

Hmm, I rode some of the route yesterday including the Standon Ford!!

Yes, it IS rather deep!

Looking down at where the water was coming up to on the forks, I would guess that it was about 24" deep using the shallowest crossing. It's fine on the pogo, as the air intake is at about 35" (Under the seat). But I've just measured my GS and the air-intake is about 30"!

Still, there's an easy cut-round on the road, so the GSer who wish to give it a miss can watch the pogo-ists perfecting their water-bike skills!

20th November - put the date in your diary!

:moped:

Greg

Standon

Greg.
You can go over the bridge if you want to, you dont have to go round.A Gs does fit. :thumb.

Remember, you can go on or over private land or footpath bridleway etc to complete your journey. ie if the road is unpassable you may make a small detour. As small as poss, but as big as ness...

Just in case you said it is a footbridge only. :D

Tony Allen.

Just a quick reminder that this leisurely Green Lane run is in a couple of weeks.

So far I have:

• Speggo
  • ktm520
  • snoopy
  • Dahoum
  • Clive
  • Milk Tray Man
  • Tony Allen
  • and me

The Squadron Leader mentioned that he may be coming (but lack of mirrors may be holding him back).

Mr Tickle?
Anyone else?

You can always just turn up at South Mimms before 09.30hrs, but, if I don't know you're coming, we won't wait.

I'm going to finish the recce next weekend (probably Saturday afternoon) - anyone want a quick blast around?

Greg

No can do...

Sorry Greg but can not make it now, me and a Rover 75 had a coming together last night and not sure when garage/money/insurance will allow repair.

Ho hum, shit happens :( :( :(

Have fun and look forward to the pictures.

Back
Top Bottom