Helmet Headphones

Bigtwin

I have a sytem 3, and as luck would have it, the ear space is actually over my ears (not so with my Arai). Currently, I have some Sony MLQ 55's with the over-the-ear clips removed secured in there with velcro - but there were too snug as standard and they pressed on the ear painfully, so I cut the back of the shell off, made it smaller, and glued it all back together.

They work fine, keep the wind noise down well, and let me listen to R4 like a proper old bloke during 2+ hours of commuting a day. However, they are reaching the end of their natural.

Anyone out there got a similar set up they can pass on - I don't want to get into Autocom spending! Or has anyone found a decent UK source for custom-fit in-the-ear phones?

Bigtwin said:
Anyone out there got a similar set up they can pass on - I don't want to get into Autocom spending! Or has anyone found a decent UK source for custom-fit in-the-ear phones?

This is my solution Koss "The Plug" headphones ($45 Aussie) that I have modified by fitting a small length of flexible tubing then fixing standard disposable earplugs on the end, by making a hole through the center of the plug with a heated nail. The plugs fit in the ear and the tubes either hook over your ears or just hang down, put on the helmet and they are as comfy as normal plugs but with sound.

Advantages are you get the sound isolation as you normally would from earplugs and you play the mp3 player at a much lower volume hence protecting your hearing. You also are able to hear traffic

All day comfy and about 25 quid all up ... job jobbed !!

Mike

Attachments

• Ear Buds.JPG
    Ear Buds.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 270
Ta

Tks one and all. Think I'll try the home produced in the ears, and if that fails, try the 140 quid pro ones. Has anyone actually got these - my worry is that they may be a bit fragile, given how many walkman headphones I have pulled the wire out of etc in the past. Are the plugs and speakers seperable in the event of problems for replacement?

I've seen and worn Mikef's home solution plugs and can attest to their coolness.

And I ride an Italian bike, so I know coolness. :cool:

For info, got a pair of the plugs for UK 11.90 all-in on ebay today - bargain!

I can see the 140 quid option going towards the sunset - so that's 128.10 I have to spend on somthing else.....let's do a search under PIAA...

Update/info

Having got the Koss', I couldn't find a suitable bit of extension tubing in the house on a Sunday afternoon.

Hit upon the following - got a pair of swimming earplugs - the ones that look a bit like a rubber fir tree. Fitted them straight on the phones in place of the foam plugs supplied (made a hold down the middle with a belt hole-punch) works a dream with my helmet, and probably does pretty much the same job as the custom ones, for about £15 all-in. Nice and quiet and great sound quality. Actually saved an awful lot of annoying noise, as I don't have to explain to the missus why I NEED to spend loadsmorecash on bikeing "tat".

Only issue would be if your helmet presses too tight on the ears and causes pain. My System Evo is fine (ear holes are over the ears!) - and so is my Arai, where there is foam over my ears.

Great tip - thanks :thumb .

Bigtwin said:
Having got the Koss', I couldn't find a suitable bit of extension tubing in the house on a Sunday afternoon.

Hit upon the following - got a pair of swimming earplugs - the ones that look a bit like a rubber fir tree.

I originally had the Fir Tree ones on the end of my extension tubes but found they irritated my ears maybe its the way my AGV fits around the ears, in all I tried 4 different types of plugs until setting o the ones I currently use, a case of experimenting till you find what suits you.

Glad they work for you

Mikef said:
This is my solution Koss "The Plug" headphones ($45 Aussie) that I have modified by fitting a small length of flexible tubing then fixing standard disposable earplugs on the end, by making a hole through the center of the plug with a heated nail. The plugs fit in the ear and the tubes either hook over your ears or just hang down, put on the helmet and they are as comfy as normal plugs but with sound.

Advantages are you get the sound isolation as you normally would from earplugs and you play the mp3 player at a much lower volume hence protecting your hearing. You also are able to hear traffic

All day comfy and about 25 quid all up ... job jobbed !!

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for sharing the tip. Could you give some more info on how you carried out the mod. Was there any soldering or wiring connections neede, or do you just remove the Koss foam, and inside there is alonger length of cable ??

Cheers,
Andy

Back
Top Bottom