A9/A99 to JOG

Davel

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Travelling up to Perth next week and hoping to finish off LE/JOG trip from last April at the same time, as was unable to complete the last 30 miles because of weather conditions at the time (Snow & Gales etc).

Can anyone tell me what the roads are like at the moment. Are there many roadworks or closures up there please?

Did it for Diabetes UK and so I'm determined to finish off the last 30 miles, even though all the sponsors paid up regardless.

Plus I want to ride those fantatsic Scottish roads again!

Iain Hogg said:
Well give the A9 a miss for a start :rolleyes:

What route would you take from the M6?

I thought of the A82 through Crianlarich, Lochernhead etc. I'm open to better ideas from people who know the area.

The problem this time is that I have to be in Perth for the second night so, on the first day, I really need to get up as close to JOG as possible.

Davel said:
Travelling up to Perth next week and hoping to finish off LE/JOG trip.Can anyone tell me what the roads are like at the moment. Are there many roadworks or closures up there please?QUOTE]

Davel, looks like a lot of miles to crunch through and if you want to get close to JOG on the first day then the A9 makes sense, Iain is right though, its got to be one of the worst roads in the area, but it will churn out the miles and get you there.
The A9 has Scameras and unmarked cars, not heard of any bikes. There are major roadwork's from Kingussie past Aviemore, they shall be working there till spring at least, could add 20/30 minutes to the trip time. I’m not aware of any other works going on at the moment.
The biggest problem with the A9 is the volume of traffic and folk forgetting that its two way traffic and not dual carriageway, drivers get frustrated and attempt stupid overtakes, loose concentration etc. :eek:

The weather is mixed, as we would expect at this time of year, today is glorious the sun is out, cloud below the hills, fantastic colours everywhere you look. Yesterday, you could've been drowned, the rain was bouncing off the ground.
Snow on the high ground, above 3000 foot level. Watch out for strong cross winds, I've been blown about the last twice coming home through Glencoe.

If you had another day to play with then I would offer an alternative route but with the timescale you have it looks like you’re stuck with the A9.

Good luck

G C

But I'll be in the Fort next week (in the cage :( ) so the weather will be lovely as usual :rolleyes: See you for a pint G.C. :beer:

Possible alternative route if you really want to eat the miles:

Perth - A85 to Crianlarich
A82 to Inverness

But is a long way especially at this time of year.

If you have the time to spare and the weather is OK-

Stirling, Crianlarich,Green Welly-Tyndrum, Fort William then Inverness and Wick

If you are in a hurry-

Perth ,A9 , Inverness ect..

Some useful sites-

http://www.tayside.police.uk/roads_roadworks.php?ref=1129889789

http://www.nscp.co.uk/cameras.php

http://www.nadics.org.uk/traffic/TI_ZA.HTML

http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/database/SCS/index.html

Also watch for unmarked cars and -
th_100-0021_IMG.jpg

On reflection I think that it may be better to delay the JOG bit till next Spring and instead take a more leisurely route up the A6 from say Preston, over Shap and up to Carlisle, A74 to Glasgow and onto A82 for Crianlarich etc.

Could stay one night somewhere en-route to Perth and that gives me loads of time to explore some of the better roads before reaching Perth the second night.

Any suggestions anyone?

What day Davel ?
I can get away from work mid week onwards (next week) you could stay in the Fort William area and I could show you some of the less beaten tracks around here.

Look forward to the pint Iain :thumb

G C

Thanks for that.

It's a bit up in the air at the moment, as I might have to go to meetings at either Glasgow and Durham as part of the trip - and possibly both :(

I suspect that it will be a case of seeing how things pan out early week before finally deciding but thanks very much for the offer and, if not this time, then hopefully next Spring.

Depending on what I need to take up there, it might even be a trip in the car, with rather buggers things up.

We went up via Gourock, Dunoon, Crianlarich to Fort William last spring and then A82 to Inverness befor linking with the A 9 Northwards.

What fantastic roads and scenery! It certainly wets the appetite for more Scottish touring and it makes a great change from commuting in traffic.

:thumb

Bugger, have to take stuff to the three sites so car it is then!

Still at least its pissing it down which doesn't make me quite so disappointed.

Davel said:
Still at least its pissing it down which doesn't make me quite so disappointed.
Oh no it isnt, lovely sunny day here in Pitlochry :p

Pete A

Back
Top Bottom