Handguards...seeking "durability" experiences

TWK

Greetings all,
Before buying a set of "barkbusters" for my 1150 GS, I wanted to hear from folks whom might have crash tested their handguards. Some have recommended Acerbis, Touratech, BMW, etc.
They all may work, but wanted to hear about usefullness and durability during "use as intended".
New to the site: seems like a fountain of info, knowledge, and opinion...great stuff.
Thanks

TWK,

had the misfortune to try out BMW's handguards on my Adv during a 30mph ish spill on tarmac. The right hand guard was destroyed (right side was the initial impact point) by the spill, the left side marked lightly, but still serviceable. No damage to the bar end, throttle twistgrip or brake lever, however, so they arguably did their job - ie the bike was still rideable.
I'm replacing the guards with BMW ones again...

MikeO:)

....whereas I went down on the left side, the BMW handguard just bent round out of the way, exposing the clutch lever, which was then sheared off.

Steve.

guards!

have a look at the ACERBIS RALLY PRO guards they look nice and are reinforced with aluminum from the bar ends all the way to the clamps on the bars.I used to have just the aluminium barkbusters on many of my MX bikes and they saved me many broken fingers/hands when hitting trees in wooden sections of the courses,but would look horrible on a GS (my opinion) as said in the previous two posts I don't think the OE guards are up to much in a crash they are just not strong enough,ok for keeping the wind off though,but take them off the bike and you can almost fold them in half.I have loosened my cluster clamps so if I do have an off they will just twist round rather than snap levers,but make sure you use plenty of loctite on the bolts so they don,t fall out!!.Andy

Re: guards!

andy malton said:
have a look at the ACERBIS RALLY PRO guards they look nice and are reinforced with aluminum from the bar ends all the way to the clamps on the bars.I used to have just the aluminium barkbusters on many of my MX bikes and they saved me many broken fingers/hands when hitting trees in wooden sections of the courses,but would look horrible on a GS (my opinion) as said in the previous two posts I don't think the OE guards are up to much in a crash they are just not strong enough,ok for keeping the wind off though,but take them off the bike and you can almost fold them in half.I have loosened my cluster clamps so if I do have an off they will just twist round rather than snap levers,but make sure you use plenty of loctite on the bolts so they don,t fall out!!.Andy [/QUOTE

I second ANDY on this one.

the rally pro's are years ahead of the bMW ones or the old school acerbis(touratech model)you do need to work on them to fit them right, but is very easy.

Can anyone post a piccie of the acerbis rally Pro's on the GS?

that them?

121325xx.jpg

Touratech handguards

I've got a pair of the wraparound Touratech handguards with spoilers on my 1100 and they saved my levers when I was knocked off doing 30MPH in December.

Only damage was a bit of scuffing, so I'd say they're worth it despite the cost (£60-70).

Back
Top Bottom