Fancy a run in the North ?

G.C.

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m heading out for a wee blast on some back roads in the morning, meeting a couple of like minded souls for a breakfast brew in Newtonmore at 10 (the café just off the A9, take the exit after Dalwhinnie exit, the café is a truck stop a couple of hundred yards from the A9)
From there I plan on taking the back roads through Kingussie, Aviemore, Granton on Spey then over to Nairn the A96 through Inverness onto the A82 to Invermoriston then take the loop around Loch Gary then on to Spean Bridge and perhaps finish with another loop around Lochailoirt, Glenuig, Strontian and over to Corran Ferry then home. I make that just over 200 miles but it’s a loose/flexible plan, we can /may change it depending on the weather/ light etc.

I know its short notice and the nights are fair drawing in but these are some of my favourite roads and I want to play. :mmmm

G C

If only.......{sigh....} Have a good ride Gordon. I'd love to join you but at the moment I'd have to strap a jerry can to the bike. :(

Fuel problems Schtum :nenau ??

We did enjoy a cracking day out. Met up with Ronno and Stumpy at the "Chefs Grill" Newtonmore and had a couple of coffees to warm us up then we were off down the backroads to Granton on Spey and eventually ended up by Loch Sheil for a play in the dirt.
Ronno covered over 400 miles :thumb and took lots of photos.

Thats a castle in the loch !!
41219967-M.jpg

Another Loch
41220108-M.jpg

Ronno getting it on with heather
41220039-M.jpg

Shades of grey !
41220125-M.jpg

Stumpy giving it some
41220240-M.jpg

OK enough already, thanks guys for a merorable day :thumb Stumpy, I hope you got home ok, last I heard Ronno was in the bath attemping to get some warmth back into his bones :) I really enjoyed my day.
G C

Cracking pictures G.C. bit short notice for me though :(

Nice pics

Looks like you all had a great day. ;)

400 miles Ronno :cool:

Alte Wolf said:
400 miles Ronno :cool:

Alte, it was 432 miles and the run home from Fort William was horrendous due to leaving at 17.00 hours and riding all the way in the pissing rain and the part between Glencoe and home in the dark. I'd forgotten just how bad dipped beam on a GS is! :eek: Here are some more pics of the day out. Hope you like... :)

41331188-L.jpg

41331192-L.jpg

41332245-L.jpg

41340385-L.jpg

41332246-L.jpg

41338648-L.jpg

41332249-L.jpg

41338653-L.jpg

G.C. and Stumpy @ Loch Shiel

41331201-L.jpg

41340051-L.jpg

Ronno and G.C. (who seems to be now aware of the impending weather for my ride home but neglects to let on)...

41340039-L.jpg

41340385-L.jpg

A magic day out in great countryside with great company. Biking doesn't get much better... oh, did I mention my ride home? :D :thumb

As a wee post script to this, Mrs Ronno has now decided that in future, when I'm out on my bike, I've to be home before it get's dark. Don't you just love it when the woman in your life loves you so much that she becomes your Mum? :D

Ronno

Gordon

Just to fill in the gaps re "the Wolf" at Lochindorb

The Wolf of Badenoch, is one of the most memorable historical characters of Strathspey.

The son of King Robert II, he was one of the most blackest, most evil character in Scotland's history. Alexander Stewart, Alisdair Mor mac an Righ, was better know as Big Alexander, or the Wolf of Badenoch.

The times in which he lived were barbarous, but even by their standards he stood out, and was feared over a considerable distance.

Throughout his life he was Lord of Badenoch around 1371, Earl of Buchanan and was also his brother's royal deputy in the north of Scotland.

The Wolf ruled the lands of Badenoch in a cruel way, burning the homes of those who crossed or displeased them. Taking labour and goods way beyond any reason.

His wife, Countess of Ross, was deserted by him. His wife appealed to the Bishop of Moray, who unfortunately for him, gave judgement in her favour.

The Wolf was outraged. All out for revenge, he came down from his stronghold, the castle of Lochindorb and ransacked and burned Forres and Elgin. Elgin of course, being the ecclesiastical centre of the Bishopric of Moray. Setting off fires, mainly in the College, the Canon's houses and the Hospital of the Maison Dieu, he terrified the people of Elgin, forcing them to flee with their families into the countryside.

In 1390 he burned Elgin Cathedral, destroying many of its records including family, legal and monastic - irreplaceable. A terrible loss.

The Wolf was called upon by his father to do penance for this heinous crime. This he did under the watchful eye of his father the King, nobles and many dignitaries of the church. The King, believing that his son had learnt his lesson, finally pardoned him, and his was received back into the Church. Unfortunately, his repentance was superficial.

Throughout his reign he extended and reinforced his castles at Loch-an-Eilein and Lochindorb, and yet hardly changed Castle Roy at Nethy Bridge.

Legend has it that The Wolf of Badenoch died in 1394, although others maintain is was in 1406, when it is believed that he played chess with the devil. He had been visited at Ruthven Castle by a man, who was tall, and dressed in black. The man wished to play a game of chess with the Wolf. The game went on for several hours until the tall, darkly dressed man moved one of the chess pieces and called 'check' and then 'checkmate'. The man rose from the table. On calling these words there was a terrible storm of thunder, hail and lightening. The storm continued through the night until silence befell the castle in the morning. In that morning silence, it was then that the Wolf's men were discovered outside the castle walls, dead and blackened as if they had all been struck by the lightening. The Wolf was found in the banqueting hall, and although his body appeared unmarked, the nails in his boots had all been torn out.

The funeral procession was held two days later, led by the Wolf's coffin. Terrible storms started over and over again as the coffins were added to the procession. It was only after the Wolf's coffin was carried to the back of the procession did the storms cease. The storms did not return.

The Wolf of Badenoch was not buried locally, but is buried in Dunkeld Cathedral.

Thanks for that Stumpy, you said about the 1400's. I just love the history of it all.

Alte, not a distant relation I hope :eek:

Cheers

G C

G.C. said:
Thanks for that Stumpy, you said about the 1400's. I just love the history of it all.

Cheers

G C

G.C. I thought that it was a 1200 you were after ;)

Ronno

What great shots

Love the colours of Scottish Hills this time of year and looking at these pics makes me feel like heading for the ferry yet again :cool:

What a great story re the Wolf of Badenoch, cant say I'd want to claim him as a relative mind you :eek: :D

Keep postin up the pics you guys, (and the history!) :thumb

Brilliant thread guys :clap :clap :clap

Really hope to tag a long with ya one day soon :thumb

Brilliant pics :cool:

Back
Top Bottom