Porlock Hill

Gawd ... if only

Er ... not sure if that happened, Mike .... to be honest I was just glad to get to the top in one piece .....

Anyone out there hasn't tried it, GET DOWN THERE THIS SUMMER!!!

Did it yesterday with retroman,WOW!
Never seen a hill that steep with tarmac on it-I'd pay money to watch the white line painters in action!
Here's a tip;wait for a suitable gap in the traffic before going up,and if you stall or fluff the climb-drop it to the left (lowside) cos it's an awfully long way down to the right!:beerjug:

I did it in the car last summer, and it's on my list as a must ride on the GS this summer, A39 Porlock to Lynmouth.

I always go down the toll road, I find it more interesting. I don't use the A39 very often I find it too congested try the B3224/B3358 across Exmoor or the B3227 (ex A361) Taunton to South Molton, great roads with very little traffic.

TimC

TimC said:
I always go down the toll road, I find it more interesting. I don't use the A39 very often I find it too congested try the B3224/B3358 across Exmoor or the B3227 (ex A361) Taunton to South Molton, great roads with very little traffic.

TimC

Agree with you Tim, came back via the roads you mention and went up to Dunkery Beacon also. A39 is OK for traffic at this time of year but it must be horrendous when the caravanners turn out in their hoards ... Porlock Hill still worth the effort tho

:)

And you think riding a GS up it is hard?

In January 1899, the men of Lynmouth dragged the Lynmouth lifeboat over Porlock Hill. All done by horse- and man-power, at night, because they couldn't launch the lifeboat from it's normal site due to bad weather blowing on-shore.

Details here:

this link

and this one...

Re-enacted in 1999

News link

FWIW - the Louisa weighed about 3 1/2 tons... up from Lynmouth and down Porlock Hill.

Respect:beer:

Re: And you think riding a GS up it is hard?

PeterNicholson said:
In January 1899, the men of Lynmouth dragged the Lynmouth lifeboat over Porlock Hill. All done by horse- and man-power, at night, because they couldn't launch the lifeboat from it's normal site due to bad weather blowing on-shore.

FWIW - the Louisa weighed about 3 1/2 tons... up from Lynmouth and down Porlock Hill.

Respect:beer:

:eek: :eek: :eek: MAXIMUM RESPECT

Loads of really good trail riding around there too, we normally stay at Dunster and ride the Quantoxs etc...

Next time your there try riding the Ford at the end of the road that runs down the side of the Foresters Arms Hotel in Dunster.

Re: Gawd ... if only

retroman said:
Anyone out there hasn't tried it, GET DOWN THERE THIS SUMMER!!!
I tried it on my KH250 triple many years ago. I remember very well changing down from 2nd to first and the chain snapping which also smashed the engine casing covering the front sprocket and showering my left ankle with debris. If I remember correctly we then stayed at the Youth Hostel in Porlock that night.... I've also done it on my pushbike when I was 16 loaded with 2 panniers and a saddlebag. I nearly wore through the soles of my shoes pushing that lot up there..:(
Lovely area though.

Wasn't there a big disater there at the turn of the century??

Have Fun

AndyT:cool:

Re: Re: Gawd ... if only

AndyT said:
I tried it on my KH250 triple many years ago. I remember very well changing down from 2nd to first and the chain snapping which also smashed the engine casing covering the front sprocket and showering my left ankle with debris.
AndyT:cool:

Can honestly say I can't think of anywhere worse to blow up :eek:

Re: Re: Gawd ... if only

AndyT said:
Wasn't there a big disater there at the turn of the century??
Andy,

1952 actually. 34 killed in a massive flash flood, it was commemorated last year, there's a link here if anyone's interested....

MikeO:)

Back
Top Bottom